Snow Plowing With An ATV

I know plowing snow with a 4x4 truck is considered to be tough on a vehicle and could effect the value of said truck, what are your feelings on an ATV being used as a snow plowing rig?

I ask  because I'm somewhat shocked to see all the rigs listed on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace with plows on them, some with very low miles from going back and forth (I assume LOL?)

Thoughts on their worthiness??

I bought an ATV about 7 years ago with a snow plow attached , I plowed my driveway for one winter and took the plow off ! I snow blow the driveway now ! The ATV does an OK job of plowing but the snowblower does an excellent job and puts the snow where I want it . After a few snow storms plowing with the ATV the driveway gets narrower and narrower . I'm going to be selling the plow or give it to a Family member !  I originally bought the ATV for the Snow Plowing and dragging Deer out of the woods , now it just drags Deer out of the woods !

• Like 3

I had an 06 Honda Rancher that I used for plowing. Worked good on the light powdery stuff. But it blew the tranny while using it one night after a heavy wet snow. But......my driveway then, was about a hundred yards long, and double wide. One of the reasons I moved down off "the hill".

And we are now considering downsizing to a townhouse or something similar. To not have to worry about snow removal at all. Especially if for some reason I'm no longer around, my wife will be set.

• Like 2

I have had a plow on a wheeler and it’s ok. I would definitely not buy a wheeler that’s been plowed with. If you take it easy it’s probably not too hard on them, atv’s are generally built to take some abuse however what I’ve seen others doing when plowing with atv’s is why I would never buy a used machine with a plow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a plow this year for my ATV because I moved.

The option I had was sell the ATV (tried that, all I got were lowball offers) and buy a snow blower & tractor lawnmower, or keep the ATV & buy a tow-behind mower & snow plow (which I went with).

It hasn't snowed yet, and the neighbor kid was looking to make a few bucks this summer cutting the lawn, so I'm still trying to figure out if I made the right call. :rolleyes:

I plowed my 250’ driveway at my old house with a Arctic Cat 500.  It worked great about 90% of the time.  Occasionally I would need a truck and a snow plow to really clean up and move banks back a bit.   Any big storms, I would just go get the truck and be done with it.  

I saw a small Kubota tractor, maybe 20hp, with a front mount snowblower on it yesterday listed for $5000.  It’s either sold or gone already.  I would lean that way if you can find one.  Some of the small subcompact CUTS are really useful and pretty reasonably priced, even now.  And front mount snowblower is the way to go!!  

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

what are your feelings on an ATV being used as a snow plowing rig?

I have a plow on mine but only use it occasionally. As far as wear and tear they can take it but if you get 6" or more they are a pain since they really can't push a lot of snow.  I depend on the snow blower and can put it where I want it vs putting it where the four wheeler can push it.

This would be the ultimate but are quite pricey. I would have one but my machine is older and don't want to make that kind of investment on a older machine. There are cheaper models/brands but not sure how well they work.

Edited by Steve D

Plowed with my Yamaha grizzly 400 for a few years with no problem. On occasion you would need the snowblower to clean up the edges or move a pile back.
Before this machine I had a 1998 600 grizzly that was a beast. Did an awesome job plowing my long narrows city driveway when in lived in Buffalo. Only drawback is it can get cold as balls driving around on an atv plowing.

Neither machine saw any abuse from plowing.......guessing guys who use their machines for plot work put more strain than plowing snow.

Now I have a light duty plow on my truck and absolutely will not go without one ever again. Your nice and warm.....outta the elements and it does an amazing job handling all depths and types of snow. 2db96abd333248e956618ab5fbd87c22.jpg35cac26102589ddcd110e7d2585d021e.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I plow with my 2017 pioneer. One of the main reasons I bought it. It beats shoveling.  I agree there are limitations do to the machines weight. 

I also use my snowplow  for food plot work, and clearing in the spring.

I would be more leery of a machine that someone used for weekend trail riding with their buddies. 

• Like 2