Land Lease

I have a opportunity to lease around 100 acres of property for small game. The lease would be for 1 year with any small games species. I think the asking price is extremely reasonable for the listed species and the duration. 

Here are my question for the crew. Anyone ever lease property to hunt? How was the experience. Did you have some sort of written permission. The owner cold called me on another forum as we’re local to each other. I asked some generic questions. He’s a bit hesitant to give me the exact location because of trespassing. I just want to make sure we’re on the up and up. 

Thought I’d pick your brains. Let me know if you thinking I’m over looking anything.

Edited by Liquidonyx

6 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

I have a opportunity to lease around 100 acres of property for small game. The lease would be for 1 year with any small games species. I think the asking price is extremely reasonable for the listed species and the duration. 

Here are my question for the crew. Anyone ever lease property to hunt? How was the experience. Did you have some sort of written permission. The owner cold called me on another forum as we’re local to each other. I asked some generic questions. He’s a bit hesitant to give me the exact location because of trespassing. I just want to make sure we’re on the up and up. 

Thought I’d pick your brains. Let me know if you thinking I’m over looking anything.

You should certainly walk the property before committing to anything. If only for small game hunting, will others be hunting deer there? If so, will you be allowed to enter and hunt the property for small game during deer season?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

You should certainly walk the property before committing to anything. If only for small game hunting, will others be hunting deer there? If so, will you be allowed to enter and hunt the property for small game during deer season?

Agreed. I’d be the only other hunter and as for deer season, I’d probably stay away during rifle season for the fear of blowing the land owner out. 

I’ve never paid to hunt . If I had to I’d have my attorney write up,the contract , and I’d go at least five years , and I’ve have exclusive use 365 . Otherwise what’s the point .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

The “do I need written permission” is a flag to me. Is it a real lease or someone offering property for cash with no contract? I was in a lease once that was very casual, nothing formal, it did not end well for us. Get everything in writing. What you are permitted to do, when you are permitted to do it and who else can be in the property, and when. Get specifics, beyond what you think are needed. IN WRITING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Since its for small game only you will run into issues during Deer season, bow or gun. I would only lease it with the rule Nomad called out. Exclusive rights to hunt, maybe up the price and get permission to deer hunt it also.

I was thinking the same thing about deer season. Maybe once the relationship is established the opportunity to expand to deer might be an option.

• Like 1

Since most small game seasons start the same day Deer bow season starts(Oct 1st), your not going to be able to use the land from then, until the end of December, after deer muzzleloader season ends.

Unless your hunting squirrel in Sept, your only getting a little over two months of small game hunting on the lease, if your not allowed to hunt it during deer season.

Edited by Shoots100

Hi Mowin!

He’s agreed to a year round lease from the date of agreement. So it could be from 1/15/21-1/15/22 depending on when we settle. 

There is also the benefit of location, almost all public with size is an hour in any direction. This is a roughly 20 minute drive. 

Edited by Liquidonyx
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

Hi Mowin!

He’s agreed to a year round lease from the date of agreement. So it could be from 1/15/21-1/15/22 depending on when we settle. The overall is just a bit over $2 per acres. I thought that was a fair price for year round.  

Not a bad price.  I don't think I'd pay more than that, and only if it held birds. But I'd definitely walk it first and see if it even looks like a decent turkey area.  Any fields, food plots? Either on the property or adjoining? 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Not a bad price.  I don't think I'd pay more than that, and only if it held birds. But I'd definitely walk it first and see if it even looks like a decent turkey area.  Any fields, food plots? Either on the property or adjoining? 

Oh geez, I meant no turkeys...So, uhh...see you at 4:00am on 5/1?