Remington 700 sps problem.

Lucky118

First conduct a visual inspection of the stock both inside and outside.  If everything looks good, then try a shorter bolt. If that snugs it down properly then the only thing left to do would be to sight it in again. Good luck to Lucky.       valoroutdoors.com 

• Thanks 1

I hate diagnosing problems without actually looking at what is going on, that being said if you believe the bolt is too long a simple fix would be a properly fitted washer or you could grind the end of bolt itself the taking off a couple of threads to shorten it up, make sure to polish off any burrs.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

The bolt for my stock won't tighten down snug without stopping the bolt from moving.  Should i try a shorter bolt or a new stock to fix it or is there a bigger problem here. 

What changed?  Is this a new stock?  Did you rebed the action?  Are you using new screws? Did you mix up the existing screws?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, airedale said:

I hate diagnosing problems without actually looking at what is going on, that being said if you believe the bolt is too long a simple fix would be a properly fitted washer or you could grind the end of bolt itself the taking off a couple of threads to shorten it up, make sure to polish off any burrs.

Al

Good advice.  Try the washer to find out before cutting anything, though.

20 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I had it sent to me and I don't do facebook so couldn't tell you if is real or not. With the way the world is today it would not surprise me a bit.

Same here. Had FB probably 15yrs ago for I think 6 days. Couldn't delete it fast enough. 

13 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

What changed?  Is this a new stock?  Did you rebed the action?  Are you using new screws? Did you mix up the existing screws?

Straight out of the box. Have never been able to get a tight group with it. Good enough to kill deer with but a $700 gun should be able to hit close to 1 inch groups right out of the box imo. This things  not even close lol. Just this yr while cleaning it i noticed a little play in the stock so i tightened the stock screw down and couldn't pull the bolt back after. Could be why it doesnt shoot well lol.

4 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Straight out of the box. Have never been able to get a tight group with it. Good enough to kill deer with but a $700 gun should be able to hit close to 1 inch groups right out of the box imo. This things  not even close lol. Just this yr while cleaning it i noticed a little play in the stock so i tightened the stock screw down and couldn't pull the bolt back after. Could be why it doesnt shoot well lol.

Play in the stock/action fit  will absolutely negatively affect how well it shoots and may very well be the cause of your accuracy/grouping issue.  Since this is straight out of the box, I would suggest returning to where purchased or Remington.  It may very well be a defective stock (or bedding) that needs replacing.  Shortening the bolt may not be the best solution if the stock fit is defective.  However, as Airdale above commented, can't diagnose the problem without seeing it, only speculate.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Finally got it sighted in with the new stock. Have to say in quite happy.

20211031_162641.jpg

Satisfying when you fix your own problems right?  I had a similar problem with a 700, in the sense that I couldn't get a decent group out of it.  Now I won't rifle hunt with anything else, she's a stone cold killer.