Updates to my 6.5 Grendel

A while back I purchased a new scope for my 6.5 Grendel, which has become my predator hunting day rig. It included a mount that worked fine on the rifle he had, but when I mounted it on mine, the adjustment ring on the bell of the scope was ever so slightly touching the top rail of my hand guard. I shot It like that a few times, and just didn’t feel comfortable with it, so I picked Up a slightly taller Vortex cantilever mount. 

This one is perfect, just the right clearance. I also added a Vortex Venom holo sight at a 45 degree angle to handle those short range shots when critters pop out close to me. I’m just waiting on some bullets I ordered So I can Load up some empty brass and get it sighted in. This setup should be absolutely perfect for daytime hunting and whenever I choose to hunt under lights at night. 

E636CF6A-E5A5-4307-8747-5891E66FFB20.jpeg

C72C3961-66D5-4B29-B7D1-99C49BA2B3CF.jpeg

12F04604-4178-44A2-A987-E42C3FB9846F.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DDT said:

Nice rifles.

What are you using for a magazine lock? I'm looking for some options.

The Grey one came with a lock, not sure what it is. 

the black one is a lower from DSI, and it’s built with no lock and no release machined into the lower at all. If I ever Move to a free state, or NY ever changes the rules on detachable mags, I just Send them this lower and they will send me a regular one with a release button. 

82B5A42E-453C-4682-B5DE-6FA505E932DB.jpeg

1BC27FBA-93C4-4E64-B8DE-387DCFE29FF8.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The Grey one came with a lock, not sure what it is. 

the black one is a lower from DSI, and it’s built with no lock and no release machined into the lower at all. If I ever Move to a free state, or NY ever changes the rules on detachable mags, I just Send them this lower and they will send me a regular one with a release button. 

82B5A42E-453C-4682-B5DE-6FA505E932DB.jpeg

1BC27FBA-93C4-4E64-B8DE-387DCFE29FF8.jpeg

That's a good way to go.

I have a Bushmaster that has a blind magazine well with a riveted magazine in it. Used a Grendel upper on it to shoot my buck this year. 

Looking at this one for a build I'm doing now.

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/ar15ml.htm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thanks guys. My night rig currently has an IR scope on it. Next upgrade to that one will be when I go thermal. I’m thinking before I switch that scope to thermal, my next change up will be to pick up a thermal spotter for scanning. 

How is the IR in daylight?  I’ve been looking into them a little, but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice too much daytime accuracy.  Let me know when you’re gonna upgrade to thermal, maybe I could help fund a fraction of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

How is the IR in daylight?  I’ve been looking into them a little, but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice too much daytime accuracy.  Let me know when you’re gonna upgrade to thermal, maybe I could help fund a fraction of it. 

It has a day and night mode. In day mode it’s basically regular a video scope. Accuracy has been great with it. It has different presets or profiles to allow you to switch between rifles with a QD mount. The resolution is good, but not the same as looking through a traditional scope, which is why I dont normally use it for daytime hunting, but you can if you want to. 

when I replace It, I’ll post on the site about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I was Watching Night Crew :taunt:

I think this is the cross lock those guys used on the guns. 

https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

I think I am going to go with the quick pins on the SOCOM and 223 Wylde I getting together now. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think this is the cross lock those guys used on the guns. 

https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

I think I am going to go with the quick pins on the SOCOM and 223 Wylde I getting together now. 

I think You are correct. I added The quick release rear pin on mine Which helps. The DSI I have Already had one when I got It. 

458 Socom is going to be my next one. Gonna do my own build on that one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Is that a hog hunter scope on there ? Love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir. I like it so far, can’t wait to do the final sight in and hunt with it. I wasnt Sure if I’d like the red reticule with my red spotlights, but when it’s on its brightest setting, it really is nice. 

• Like 1

Yes sir. I like it so far, can’t wait to do the final sight in and hunt with it. I wasnt Sure if I’d like the red reticule with my red spotlights, but when it’s on its brightest setting, it really is nice. 

Agreed I was concerned too tried to find the scope with a green reticle... couldn’t but I’m happy with the red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think You are correct. I added The quick release rear pin on mine Which helps. The DSI I have Already had one when I got It. 

458 Socom is going to be my next one. Gonna do my own build on that one. 
Tromix bolt and barrel. The rest you can do whatever but speak to Tony he's a great dude and literally the guy that created it so that's definitely the way you should go IMHO. It will save you tons of issues later on

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1