Struggling getting Yotes to come in!

Looking for some tips on getting the coyotes to commit. As the breeding season is upon us, I have started the calls off (using foxpro's coyote vocals) lone howl or coyote pair followed by a bird or rabbit distress. I then wait a good 15 minutes then follow up again with coyote vocals. I have gotten responses which seem very close (within 300-500 yards) but they are not committing. So to add to insult, when I leave stand they appear on my cam within the hour. I predominantly night hunt and use the Night Eyes red headlamp to scan. In the past week I have had responses at every stand but no commitment.  Any suggestions would be great as I am a bit frustrated now.

You need to set up closer to them next time.

Maybe there's some type of barrier keeping them from committing when their solo and they only commit after the pack assembles.

Another thing is that while red lights work, you might not be seeing the coyote that's spotted your movement while your scanning around, especially if you hunt from the same stand location.

A friend would always hunt the same time each morning over a bait pile, once he would drive away, the coyote would hit the pile.

One day he stayed in his blind and had his wife drive his truck down the road, Coyote didn't know what hit it.

Their smart bastards, so you need to change your routine around and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Wind is #1, beyond that try and stick with female vocals, pair howls. Interogation howls, when they answer throw challenge back at them. If they get hunted alot it will be hard to get them to commit. Throw sounds at them u dont use often.

OK will try that. I never used the challenge vocal but heck, it is worth the try.  

11 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

You need to set up closer to them next time.

Maybe there's some type of barrier keeping them from committing when their solo and they only commit after the pack assembles.

Another thing is that while red lights work, you might not be seeing the coyote that's spotted your movement while your scanning around, especially if you hunt from the same stand location.

A friend would always hunt the same time each morning over a bait pile, once he would drive away, the coyote would hit the pile.

One day he stayed in his blind and had his wife drive his truck down the road, Coyote didn't know what hit it.

Their smart bastards, so you need to change your routine around and see what happens.

I seem to think that what happened to your friend is indeed happening to me. The last 3x that I went to the stand, when I walked out which you can hear me crunching on the gravel road the coyote / pair went right to my trail cam area which is where I look when sitting. I dug a hole and spray both fox urine and coyote urine near it and I get the coyotes going through to check it out nearly every day. Maybe I will walk out and try and sneak back in through the back side.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, Belo said:

have you tried a decoy? one of those mechanical rabbit tail things? Might be the extra ingredient they need to commit.  

Yes! have have the fox jack decoy. I do have a life size coyote decoy and just ordered the Montana song dog which is a fold up type. I never used them yet. On that note, have you or anyone you know ever used a coyote decoy? If so, what is a good set up? Put in middle of field or place on the field edge?

1 hour ago, Big Cat! said:

Yes! have have the fox jack decoy. I do have a life size coyote decoy and just ordered the Montana song dog which is a fold up type. I never used them yet. On that note, have you or anyone you know ever used a coyote decoy? If so, what is a good set up? Put in middle of field or place on the field edge?

i have not, i also use primos sit-n-spin, which is like your fox jack. I'm not the best guy to ask though. Much better and more experienced yote hunters here that could chime in. I haven't seen or heard much about full size decoys though.

21 hours ago, Belo said:

i have not, i also use primos sit-n-spin, which is like your fox jack. I'm not the best guy to ask though. Much better and more experienced yote hunters here that could chime in. I haven't seen or heard much about full size decoys though.

Thanks and good luck!