New proposed regulations.

G-Man

Should of been in place 10 years ago, so many thru the ice on these small inland lakes every day by same people  who needs 500 panfish thru the ice in a couple of weeks x ?? People.

.No wonder they are fished out and then add in spring fishing..  at least fish you can put back. If they every came out with a way to shoot a deer and then put it back and try for a bigger one life would be perfect!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Should of been in place 10 years ago, so many thru the ice on these small inland lakes every day by same people  who needs 500 panfish thru the ice in a couple of weeks x ?? People.

.No wonder they are fished out and then add in spring fishing..  at least fish you can put back. If they every came out with a way to shoot a deer and then put it back and try for a bigger one life would be perfect!

I wish it included a minimum length on Perch too

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Think they’re selling them?  I’d have no problem seeing the sale of panfish banned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Think they’re selling them?  I’d have no problem seeing the sale of panfish banned. 

One guy i kept track of on an ice fishing site took 1240 thru the ice said he gives most of them away.. just likes to fish.. so now he can put them back i guess... idk 

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I wish it included a minimum length on Perch too

Think that should depend on the water.  Some places there are soooo many little perch you can't catch them fast enough and also rarely get big ones cause there is so much competition for food and they are overpopulated.   

I can see a lot of people against this but 25 is more than plenty for me.  But they need to be sure this doesn't cause overpopulated places and now you get nothing but 6 inch perch.  The St Lawrence comes to mind.  I once caught 123 in about 3 hours.  And kept maybe 35 that were worth cleaning. 

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Think that should depend on the water.  Some places there are soooo many little perch you can't catch them fast enough and also rarely get big ones cause there is so much competition for food and they are overpopulated.   

I can see a lot of people against this but 25 is more than plenty for me.  But they need to be sure this doesn't cause overpopulated places and now you get nothing but 6 inch perch.  The St Lawrence comes to mind.  I once caught 123 in about 3 hours.  And kept maybe 35 that were worth cleaning. 

Perch are cannibals. Get a little size and they will do a pretty good job at eating the little ones.  I know of a 4 acre pond that has breeding walleyes and perch in it and very seldom do they keep perch from the pond. You  can go there an pull out a bunch of 12-15" perch. They are like catching smallies...lol. Also are channel cats in there but I don't think they are spawning. 

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Perch are cannibals. Get a little size and they will do a pretty good job at eating the little ones.  I know of a 4 acre pond that has breeding walleyes and perch in it and very seldom do they keep perch from the pond. You  can go there an pull out a bunch of 12-15" perch. They are like catching smallies...lol. Also are channel cats in there but I don't think they are spawning. 

All fish are cannibals.  If there are walleye and channel cats in there I would bet they also do a good job of keeping the perch population in check.  Whatever they are doing 12-15 inch perch is amazing!  We've hit schools of them at times and it was like catching little walleyes. And the easiest fish to clean on the planet. 

• Like 1

All fish are cannibals.  If there are walleye and channel cats in there I would bet they also do a good job of keeping the perch population in check.  Whatever they are doing 12-15 inch perch is amazing!  We've hit schools of them at times and it was like catching little walleyes. And the easiest fish to clean on the planet. 

Love the ice out runs from out of Ontario. When you hit them right you can’t put a limit in a 5 gallon pail
  • Like 1

I have been talking about this with one of my ice fishing buddies. People just can't help themselves. They feel like some sort of hero posting a picture of a pile of fish they caught. And, they keep doing it day after day. 

The whole object of catching perch, bluegills, and crappies is to have some nice fresh fish dinners. My god! Keep a dozen and throw the rest back. No need for it to be an every day thing. It has reached the point that we only share our spots with a select few people because of the game hogs. I like being able to go to few places and know I will get some quality fish, and a lot of them to spread out between us. Or I can take kids to these spots and keep them interested.

I have no problem with people using the resources available to us, but if they are throwing out freezer burnt fish or meat, they are keeping too much. Any fish I keep are eaten that night or the next day. This topic is a little bit of a sore subject for me, and I pretty much mind my own business. This nonsense of feeling important because you post a bunch of pictures on facebook is stupid. There are several on this site that I dare say catch as many or more fish as these people, post some quality pictures, keep what they need for a meal or two, or throw them all back.

Instead of showing off to all their facebook buddies, they ought to find a few kids, newcomers, or even oldtimers that can't get out like they used to, and get them out on the lakes in the Summer, or the ice in the winter.

• Like 1

Agreed. On Chautauqua you can literally catch a couple hundred 5" perch in just a couple hours. Way too many fish in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I have been talking about this with one of my ice fishing buddies. People just can't help themselves. They feel like some sort of hero posting a picture of a pile of fish they caught. And, they keep doing it day after day. 

The whole object of catching perch, bluegills, and crappies is to have some nice fresh fish dinners. My god! Keep a dozen and throw the rest back. No need for it to be an every day thing. It has reached the point that we only share our spots with a select few people because of the game hogs. I like being able to go to few places and know I will get some quality fish, and a lot of them to spread out between us. Or I can take kids to these spots and keep them interested.

I have no problem with people using the resources available to us, but if they are throwing out freezer burnt fish or meat, they are keeping too much. Any fish I keep are eaten that night or the next day. This topic is a little bit of a sore subject for me, and I pretty much mind my own business. This nonsense of feeling important because you post a bunch of pictures on facebook is stupid. There are several on this site that I dare say catch as many or more fish as these people, post some quality pictures, keep what they need for a meal or two, or throw them all back.

Instead of showing off to all their facebook buddies, they ought to find a few kids, newcomers, or even oldtimers that can't get out like they used to, and get them out on the lakes in the Summer, or the ice in the winter.

There's been a lot of talk about Oneida walleye limit going to 5 this year from 3.  I actually would prefer they keep it at 3.  That's plenty and it keeps the walleye plentiful as well.  We catch enough in the summer with all the people that I fish with to keep us in fish thru the winter and give some to family.  I know a lot of old guys that brag how they caught 1500 walleyes back in the day and had so many they put them in the garden.  Then those are the same guys that say the lake isn't what it used to be . What a waste. I put enough bags away for one fish fry a month and that's plenty. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

There's been a lot of talk about Oneida walleye limit going to 5 this year from 3.  I actually would prefer they keep it at 3.  That's plenty and it keeps the walleye plentiful as well.  We catch enough in the summer with all the people that I fish with to keep us in fish thru the winter and give some to family.  I know a lot of old guys that brag how they caught 1500 walleyes back in the day and had so many they put them in the garden.  Then those are the same guys that say the lake isn't what it used to be . What a waste. I put enough bags away for one fish fry a month and that's plenty. 
I hope it stays at 3 as well. I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see the minimum length go to 18" or a slot limit of some kind. Only keep 15"-20" fish, with 1 being over 20"? It'd be nice for the eyes to get some better size on them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I hope it stays at 3 as well. I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see the minimum length go to 18" or a slot limit of some kind. Only keep 15"-20" fish, with 1 being over 20"? It'd be nice for the eyes to get some better size on them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I think there is so many eyes now that an 18"  wouldn't be good . But I like the idea of the 15-20 with one 20".  It is always has been rare to get any eyes over 23-24 inch there.  5 lbers are rare and hear of like one 8lber a year

Edited by Robhuntandfish

30 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think there is so many eyes now that an 18"  wouldn't be good . But I like the idea of the 15-20 with one 20".  It is always has rare to get any eyes over 23-24 inch there.  5 lbers are rare and hear of like one 8lber a year

That does sound like a very good idea for an Onieda walleye slot limit.  I very rarely fish for walleyes, but take a fair number by accident on Lake Erie, while jigging for bass.  I can't recall getting one under 25" out there in the last 5 years. 

The 15-20" ones are better eating sized, especially if they have been frozen.  I find that these longer ones are ok, if eaten fresh, but not so hot out of the freezer even If they are vacuum sealed.

20210116_081342.jpg

Edited by wolc123

Ny state has enough restrictions that are not enforced. I am not for increase size or less bag limits. I don't  ice fish but I do target pan fish in the spring. I do not limit out but if someone does, good for them.

If population is down the biggest impact would be to close season during spawning  but again not enough enforcement.  Kinda like catch and release bass guys out hitting beds in May. We go to Black lake every year. Well see and speak to more guys targeting bass during our time up there than anything else. We watch guys using spinner baits, and rubber worms casting into sure and under docks. If caught the excuse is always the same.

26 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Ny state has enough restrictions that are not enforced. I am not for increase size or less bag limits. I don't  ice fish but I do target pan fish in the spring. I do not limit out but if someone does, good for them.

If population is down the biggest impact would be to close season during spawning  but again not enough enforcement.  Kinda like catch and release bass guys out hitting beds in May. We go to Black lake every year. Well see and speak to more guys targeting bass during our time up there than anything else. We watch guys using spinner baits, and rubber worms casting into sure and under docks. If caught the excuse is always the same.

I was never much of an advocate of catch and release, especially during spawning time.  To me, that is nothing but the senseless maiming of a fine food source.

I keep just enough fish (mostly bass), to provide my family with about 1 meal per month.  I usually stop fishing when I have a limit, unless I have plenty of time, and have a few over my preferred 12-15" "eating size" to cull out. 

The only other exception that I make is in the fall, after our years worth is secured, I continued fishing for a " wallhanger", releasing all others.   For me, that is a smallmouth bass over 22 inches long. 

My favorite limit of smallies from last season was (5) 14-15 inchers, taken on 7 casts, in 15 minutes, on a topwater bait, on Labor day weekend.

20210116_084536.jpg

Edited by wolc123