Remington ammo gears up

Bigfoot 327

I learned today that the huge 12 acre Remington ammo plant in Arkansas was down to a skeleton crew of 200 employees during their bankruptcy. Last week the new owners started hiring 1,000 employees to crank up to maximum production. Considering that this was one of the largest ammo plants in the country it's no wonder ammo supplies have been tight. 

• Like 13

This is good news.  The folks who are paying inflated prices for ammo today are nuts.     The only Remington ammo I use is .22 rimfire and 16 & 12 gauge sluggers.   I am guessing that prices and availability will be back to normal by the 4th of July.  Until then, all my target practice will be with my bb gun.

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

This is good news.  The folks who are paying inflated prices for ammo today are nuts.     The only Remington ammo I use is .22 rimfire and 16 & 12 gauge sluggers.   I am guessing that prices and availability will be back to normal by the 4th of July.  Until then, all my target practice will be with my bb gun.

I and many in the industry say they’ll never go back to “ normal “ prices , as they  seldom do . It’s good news and a welcome relief , but what percentage of ammo does that plant produce ? With people buying everything they can find, and other markers saying they are back ordered two years , I don’t think this will lead to stocked shelves anytime soon .

Add in what Biden may  propose when he takes office as a wildcard . It would be nice if I’m wrong ,time will tell .

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I and many in the industry say they’ll never go back to “ normal “ prices , as they  seldom do . It’s good news and a welcome relief , but what percentage of ammo does that plant produce ? With people buying everything they can find, and other markers saying they are back ordered two years , I don’t think this will lead to stocked shelves anytime soon .

Add in what Biden may  propose when he takes office as a wildcard . It would be nice if I’m wrong ,time will tell .

1000 employees is certainly a good sized operation , it can only help our cause. 

• Like 2

Just like toilet paper, once the hoarders feel they have "enough" and the manufacturers step up production, eventually there will be more on the shelves.

I'm stepping up my reloading, to include 223. But even reloading supplies have become hard to find. I love to shoot! And used to shoot pretty often. But I have been in conservation mode for awhile now. Any increase in manufacturing is welcome at this point.

• Like 3

The biggest issue isnt production its demand. When people are acting crazy and panic buying no production increases will keep up without totally revamping the size and capacity of the production facilities. The manufacturers arent stupid they recognize that this is short lived and a good way to go broke is to pretend this is the new normal. Like Granpy said, once the dolts stop panic buying things will be slowly return to normal.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

1000 employees is certainly a good sized operation , it can only help our cause. 

Agree. Although they’re going from 200 who are working now to 1000 . Ask yourself this, how many do you know still looking for ammo ? Will this all the sudden satisfy that demand ? Are guys going to keep buying one or two boxes  at a time still or perhaps a big pack of 250-500 ? like I’ve always done ? 

7 million new gun owners and more added each day , along with millions upon millions who have learned ,finally that it’s prudent to have a supply of consumables, be, it ammo, TP , or food on hand .

Thats said cleaning out my truck I found a full box of 7mm08 ! 

Im glad Remington is ramping up and truly hope it helps in a meaningful way , but I feel existing demand will eat it up fast , I don’t expect to walk into a store in a few months and see boxes of ammo just sitting there . My basement yes .