Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, mowin said:

And like others, just might become obsolete in 10 yrs. 

Kind of what I was thinking . Like most of the short mags. Expensive ammo and fall off the fan wagon .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aint nothing new.

Google 6.5 Leopard.

Only reason I remember this is it was being done same time I was having a rifle built and was offered a match to a test gun from a magazine article coming out. Must be 2006 or so?

Not a short mag fan anyway, and I'll never own one (although I said that for years about an 06' and somehow have 2 now), but try finding ammo or head stamped brass for this.

I'd rather have a 256 Newton ,Father of fast bullets.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Aint nothing new.

Google 6.5 Leopard.

Only reason I remember this is it was being done same time I was having a rifle built and was offered a match to a test gun from a magazine article coming out. Must be 2006 or so?

Not a short mag fan anyway, and I'll never own one (although I said that for years about an 06' and somehow have 2 now), but try finding ammo or head stamped brass for this.

I'd rather have a 256 Newton ,Father of fast bullets.

I can only imaging that'll cycle about as good as ALL short & fat cartridges.  My 300 WSM can be finicky in my ULA gun.  To get it not to bobble, I need to run the bolt without hesitation............I love the gun and even used it to kill a couple doe this past fall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can only imaging that'll cycle about as good as ALL short & fat cartridges.  My 300 WSM can be finicky in my ULA gun.  To get it not to bobble, I need to run the bolt without hesitation............I love the gun and even used it to kill a couple doe this past fall.

Potential feed issues scare me off.

But I find all my stuff does better run with authority. I crank that bolt handle on that Jarrett like I'm going to rip it out of the receiver  one way and push it out the muzzle on the other when on follow up shots in the field. Seems like that anyway. Lol and about as fast as I can.

 

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Potential feed issues scare me off.

But I find all my stuff does better run with authority. I crank that bolt handle on that Jarrett like I'm going to rip it out of the receiver  one way and push it out the muzzle on the other when on follow up shots in the field. Seems like that anyway. Lol and about as fast as I can.

 

That's exactly how I run a bolt action too Dan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Potential feed issues scare me off.

But I find all my stuff does better run with authority. I crank that bolt handle on that Jarrett like I'm going to rip it out of the receiver  one way and push it out the muzzle on the other when on follow up shots in the field. Seems like that anyway. Lol and about as fast as I can.

 

LOL, yup!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a ballistics expert guy at all so what I’m about to say means nothing. I’m not impressed with the 6.5 penetration at all. As a target load it’s fantastic but the field results I’ve seen are less than stellar. Not a lot of pass throughs on short range shots.

Perhaps this 6.8 at a little heavier will accomplish what the 6.5 lacks. In the meantime I’ll stick with my tried and true 30-.06


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless most of your shooting while hunting is at ranges longer than 400 yards, you are not getting anything advantageous from this round.  The disadvantages of high cost of ammo and short supply make it needless for most of us eastern hunters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be to me another niche cartridge for western hunters that have the talent and need to shoot 400-500 yards. No interest here-but someone may think they need it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...