New caliber

Aint nothing new.

Google 6.5 Leopard.

Only reason I remember this is it was being done same time I was having a rifle built and was offered a match to a test gun from a magazine article coming out. Must be 2006 or so?

Not a short mag fan anyway, and I'll never own one (although I said that for years about an 06' and somehow have 2 now), but try finding ammo or head stamped brass for this.

I'd rather have a 256 Newton ,Father of fast bullets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Aint nothing new.

Google 6.5 Leopard.

Only reason I remember this is it was being done same time I was having a rifle built and was offered a match to a test gun from a magazine article coming out. Must be 2006 or so?

Not a short mag fan anyway, and I'll never own one (although I said that for years about an 06' and somehow have 2 now), but try finding ammo or head stamped brass for this.

I'd rather have a 256 Newton ,Father of fast bullets.

I can only imaging that'll cycle about as good as ALL short & fat cartridges.  My 300 WSM can be finicky in my ULA gun.  To get it not to bobble, I need to run the bolt without hesitation............I love the gun and even used it to kill a couple doe this past fall.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can only imaging that'll cycle about as good as ALL short & fat cartridges.  My 300 WSM can be finicky in my ULA gun.  To get it not to bobble, I need to run the bolt without hesitation............I love the gun and even used it to kill a couple doe this past fall.

Potential feed issues scare me off.

But I find all my stuff does better run with authority. I crank that bolt handle on that Jarrett like I'm going to rip it out of the receiver  one way and push it out the muzzle on the other when on follow up shots in the field. Seems like that anyway. Lol and about as fast as I can.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

But I find all my stuff does better run with authority. I crank that bolt handle on that Jarrett like I'm going to rip it out of the receiver  one way and push it out the muzzle on the other when on follow up shots in the field. Seems like that anyway. Lol and about as fast as I can.

That's exactly how I run a bolt action too Dan.

38 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

LOL, yup!

I’m not a ballistics expert guy at all so what I’m about to say means nothing. I’m not impressed with the 6.5 penetration at all. As a target load it’s fantastic but the field results I’ve seen are less than stellar. Not a lot of pass throughs on short range shots.

Perhaps this 6.8 at a little heavier will accomplish what the 6.5 lacks. In the meantime I’ll stick with my tried and true 30-.06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless most of your shooting while hunting is at ranges longer than 400 yards, you are not getting anything advantageous from this round.  The disadvantages of high cost of ammo and short supply make it needless for most of us eastern hunters.