If you won the lottery

cynthiafu

So I had a dream I won the lottery.  But in my dream I could not decide where I wanted to live . I wanted a house on the boarder of the northern zone and southern zone of New York.  But I also wanted a home in Iowa  near my daughter and big bucks but then I thought Ohio too. So my question  is where would you move to if you won the lottery?

• Like 1

Depends on the size of the Lotto....I rarely buy scratch offs even, so chances are even slimmer for me.

That said, My family has lived in NY for over 200 years, we have some ....arguably the best...fishing to be found in one state anywhere, and a very long hunting season. I am not going anywhere permanently. I would probably try to move to less of a snow belt, but would love a place on or near the St. Lawrence River. I could see myself living part time in the Canadian Maritimes...Newfoundland likely. Wonderful folks, layed back, Moose and bear aplenty, great ocean fishing....

• Like 2

Got my spot all picked out.  15 minutes from my house right now.   But a big chunk of land. In winter I would travel in Jan and Feb to a couple different places in the South each year to get out of the weather and do some fishing and hunting.  But I wouldn't buy another 2nd place somewhere cause I would want to try lots of different places.  

Like Grouse I would be out of NY in a hurry, a place in the Black Hills of South Dakota from April through late Fall and a place somewhere in Texas for the winter, both places would have to be ideal hunting properties with plenty of room for visiting friends and family. Also a nice motorhome to travel between the two places hunting throughout the western states for varmints and birds during those travels. I have made many friends out west through the years being associated with Airedales and other hunting dogs with invites to visit and hunt from many,  that big chunk of cash would allow the means to easily do so.

As I do today I will donate to places that I feel are important to me like St Jude's children's hospital and the NRA just in much bigger amounts.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

If I won the lottery, I would be out of NY so fast it would make a vapor trail.

Not fast enough for me, I would make a sonic boom.  One thing I always said I would do too with a lottery exit is to take out a full page ad in the NY Times and make it very clear that my leaving was based solely on NY taxes and policies NOT the weather like our Gov loves to claim.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We would be Tennessee bound, great hunting , and fishing , like minded people ,no state tax, very low property tax , gun friendly .

Another niece here just posted the she and her husband and two kids are moving there soon , she joins a long list of friends and family that moved there . With the tax savings its like they won the lotto , oh and his new job there pays more then the one here . 

• Like 2

Winning the lottery wouldn’t have much of an effect on where I live as it would what amount of property , etc I bought there. I’m just waiting for my kids to both finish high school, and then NY will be a memory for me. Tennessee is most likely where I go unless the political and tax climate changes drastically there. 

I am done moving. I would stay where I am, and build 15 foot iron fences around my place, and an electric gate so I couldn't get uninvited guests. I think I'd be able to beat the odds & invest it wisely rather than p*ss it away like most lottery winners do. But I'd definitely up the quality of out-of-state hunting & fishing trips. I'd probably buy a decent hunting property nearby, nothing huge.

• Like 1

Guess I'm against the norm here.

I'd own what I could take in a carry on, just walk away from the rest.

My financial person and lawyer would be the only one's with my phone number and pay the tab I left behind.

Wouldnt get bogged down with stuff and ownership.

Damn, might even buy a ticket now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Guess I'm against the norm here.

I'd own what I could take in a carry on, just walk away from the rest.

My financial person and lawyer would be the only one's with my phone number and pay the tab I left behind.

Wouldnt get bogged down with stuff and ownership.

Damn, might even buy a ticket now.

I think you have to go public in order to collect now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I think you have to go public in order to collect now.

That would be fine. Block feature works on my phone.

But other then some sort of legal address, why get tied down?

Wanna elk hunt, rent a 4000 acres ranch with a couple landowner  permits and have fun for the fall.

Buy all the quota for a prime hunting block in Tanzania for the season.

Rent an estate on the Hawaiian coast for a few months.

Hang out fishing and diving in Mauritius for a spell.

Its 800 million now, dream big.

• Like 2

I’d would buy half of the road my cabin is on and leave it to my cousin to manage and take care of. Then I would be in Texas so fast hunting hogs and enjoying not being locked in a communist hell hole cuomo has built! I would return every hunting season and when the bills are playing at home! But I wouldn’t be a resident!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cory said:

I’d would buy half of the road my cabin is on and leave it to my cousin to manage and take care of. Then I would be in Texas so fast hunting hogs and enjoying not being locked in a communist hell hole cuomo has built! I would return every hunting season and when the bills are playing at home! But I wouldn’t be a resident!

There ya go ! I’d be back to hunt with my friends . I’d move my entire family out of here . 

No way would I stay and pay millions in tax to those  Aholes running the state .

You guys think small by picking one spot.  I'd probably still have a place in NY but I'd probably be here only 20% of the time.  I'd have property in several states and countries.  It'll be a game of "Where's Elmo Now"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1