End Of The Line

Steve D

Not really a line but I figured with this year's fur prices in the toilet I would run some traps and do some experimenting. Unfortunately, I got a later start than I wanted because of deer season. I started out on December 4th with four sets on my property until we got some stable weather to expand to the neighboring property of 55 acres.

I definitely picked the wrong time to trap. The weather immediately turned to crap and soon my trap beds and bait holes were filled with water. Then we got snow and they all froze over with a crust on top. I kept maintaining them on a daily basis to keep them working in hopes of catching a coyote or two. Tough to catch a coyote with a possum in the trap, a deer stepping on it setting it off, or if the trap is frozen over but I kept trying because of the sign I was seeing. It is disheartening to pull up to a set and see tracks all over it only to find a icy crust on top.

I did manage to catch a nice young red fox which I turned loose. Caught a coyote to but it jacked two 18" rebar stakes out of the wet soft ground when it warmed up and took off with the trap, stakes and all. I looked all over for it but couldn't find it hung up anywhere.

Finally the weatherman calls for a "dry" week with no precipitation so I expand out to the neighboring 55 acres and get six more sets out in addition to moving and remaking the four on my property. The next day it rains and freezes at night, then we get some snow. Luckily the temperatures didn't fluctuate enough to affect the traps but the ground is still frozen making it difficult to dig a decent trap bed. Temperatures warmed up enough just to make everything a muddy mess. With the clay soil we have it sticks to boots, 4-wheeler tires and everything else. With more rain and snow on the way along with dropping temperatures, mating season, and fur quality headed for the down side it is time to pull them.

Caught a couple possums, a rabbit, had two pull outs, and had a flipped trap (probably a grey fox).

Got a chance to try the "compass set", and the "pipe dream" set but didn't find they made a significant difference. I actually had more responses using my old methods but may use them in the future to change things up once in a while.

I have never had a pull-out with double stakes until this year so I may look into earth anchors for next year.

I really like the MB-550's and having doubts about my 1 ¾ & # 2's holding a coyote but have had success with them in the past.

Despite the weather and fighting the freeze-ups and mud I had a good time and spent some time outdoors. Depending on conditions I may re-set a couple close to home so I can check them from the house. :wink:    But for now I am taking a break.

Congratulations to Culver Creek and Water Rat on your catches and if you are still out there I hope you continue with your success. The less coyotes the better!!!

IMG_20210117_101507[1].jpg

IMG_20210117_103933[1].jpg

IMG_20210117_105149[1].jpg

IMG_20210117_105548[1].jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Have you ever tried using conibear traps ?

Conibears/Body grip traps are not really an option for canines. I don't do any water trapping but I do have a couple laying around to use for woodchucks, nuisance squirrels, etc.

Sometimes I feel like quitting myself Steve D .   I'm trapping the old fashion way.....carrying  everything in two 5 gallon buckets.  Staggering thru the woods , wearing hip boots and tripping on every stick gets old quick.  My knuckles feel like their dragging on the ground after a few hours. You still have about a month left for the predators. Hope to hear your back out there.

Glad you got out some, Steve. It's been a tough season, especially since deer season was over. It's been a challenge keeping everything working. Right now our sets down in Springwater are under about 5-6" of snow.  I really wish it it was going to freeze it would stay cold. The thaw and refreeze is a killer. 

Some thing you might want to look into for next year. 

Waxed dirt--- can't say enough how well this works.  It sure isn't cheap and We did ok with peat moss and antifreeze but the wax dirt was the best. 

Earth anchors. ---We tried 4 different kinds of the last two years. These super stakes are the best and the one with the extra fin really aid in removal and reuse if you add a pull cable on it. https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Stakes+Drags/Earth+Anchors/Fox+Hollow's+Super+Stakes/  Especially in our glacial till dirt. 

I really like the Bridger #2 dogless traps but for late season I am sold on the 4 coil to push up through some crust. 

41 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Sometimes I feel like quitting myself Steve D .   I'm trapping the old fashion way.....carrying  everything in two 5 gallon buckets.  Staggering thru the woods , wearing hip boots and tripping on every stick gets old quick.  My knuckles feel like their dragging on the ground after a few hours. You still have about a month left for the predators. Hope to hear your back out there.

Oh bite the bullet and get a trap pack basket and go to Harbor freight and get an 15-16" handled tool bag to hold the things  like bait, lure and wool. buckets SUCK...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I’m up at my house for a few days two feet of snow and still falling other then a set of track(?) around my house l haven’t seen anything not even rabbit tracks. What ever left the tracks walked up my driveway. I’m thinking house cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Oh bite the bullet and get a trap pack basket and go to Harbor freight and get an 15-16" handled tool bag to hold the things  like bait, lure and wool. buckets SUCK...lol

LOL......I've done the pack basket route before... fiberglass and wood. But having had 2 shoulder surgeries (football) those are a pain in the ass too. I do use a camo Sears tool bag , but mostly just or checking traps and not making sets. I'd go buy an atv in a hot minute but it wouldn't be practical were I trap. Keep planting steel Culvercreek !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

I might get out right behind the house just to be out there. God bless you for still doing it the hard way. If I couldn't use the four-wheeler I would probably have to give it up. All the crap I use in a basket would weigh more than me:mda:

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Waxed dirt--- can't say enough how well this works.  It sure isn't cheap and We did ok with peat moss and antifreeze but the wax dirt was the best. 

Earth anchors. ---We tried 4 different kinds of the last two years. These super stakes are the best and the one with the extra fin really aid in removal and reuse if you add a pull cable on it. https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Stakes+Drags/Earth+Anchors/Fox+Hollow's+Super+Stakes/  Especially in our glacial till dirt. 

Earth anchors are definitely on the list along with a "cookie cutter" https://www.minntrapprod.com/Volkers-Cookie-Cutter-Trap-Bed-Cutter-Select-Your-Size/productinfo/CUTTERS/.

I like experimenting with different things and methods to see what works consistently. This year I went 50% lure and 50% bait. The lure(s) seemed to work better than the bait. The sad part is I put a trail cam on one of my lure sets and have pictures of deer  with their noses right on the set and where it was located they had to go out of their  way to check it out. May have to use some deer hunting:taunt:.

I have always thought about the waxed dirt but never used it because I am to lazy to make it myself and to cheap to buy it. Maybe next year. Just nice to be doing something outside trying to outwit the the creatures of nature.

I don't call myself a trapper but like to trap when the time is right. Truthfully I would rather be calling but with fur prices they way they are I haven't been doing much of that.

As long as I am outside and not scratching bug bites or mowing grass I am a happy camper.

• Like 1