Apple trees still holding a ton of fruit

Took my buddy to the cabin last weekend. He was amazed that I have several apple trees still holding a ton of fruit. He asked me why and I couldn't answer him.

Now in the past these trees have had fruit late but this year it's a lot. Anyone know why? Great for the critters this late. 

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Took my buddy to the cabin last weekend. He was amazed that I have several apple trees still holding a ton of fruit. He asked me why and I couldn't answer him.

Now in the past these trees have had fruit late but this year it's a lot. Anyone know why? Great for the critters this late. 

Any idea what kind of apples they are? I'm looking to plant a few late dropping crabapple trees this year.

• Like 1

I have a few that hold very late into febuary some year, brown and dry on tree. , some of it is variety and some.of it is environmental i believe  wetter years drop earlier , dryer hold longer ,perhaps its the moisture content in stem vs freezing weather..

• Like 1

Do not assume that critters will eat those apples. I used to hunt a property where there were several apple trees, but one "standard" sized tree had yellow apples that nothing except perhaps bugs would eat. Most years the ground would be littered with apples. I never found any sign that they were being eaten. I assume that they rotted in the Spring, but I know they were there until at least the end of rabbit season. The same property also had yellow crab apples, many of which stayed on the tree late into the Winter. The critters cleaned those up almost as fast as they hit the ground!

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We are talking about planting some fruit trees. Mostly talking about a few apple but anyone ever plant persimmon trees? 

My friend bought a house this fall with an Asian Persimmon tree on it. Does not need to pollinate to produce fruit. I took all the fruit and ate some of it but planted the seeds. This spring I will graph a few branches to see if I can get something to grow. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, First-light said:

My friend bought a house this fall with an Asian Persimmon tree on it. Does not need to pollinate to produce fruit. I took all the fruit and ate some of it but planted the seeds. This spring I will graph a few branches to see if I can get something to grow. 

Guy in hunt with is thinking a couple persimmons.  Hes been doing some research and says fruit yield is higher as well.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Consider planting some pears. The owner of one of those big orchards in Columbia county once told me, " The deer will walk through my entire orchard to get to the pears in my door yard."

Most pears.i have seen drop before archery starts, and yes they are prefered . Need to find a late producer though 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

We are talking about planting some fruit trees. Mostly talking about a few apple but anyone ever plant persimmon trees? 

Planted 4 last spring.  Prok yates and magnus varieties. Says winter hardy for this area.got them in springvill they get em from chestnut hill indiana same place dunstan chestnuts are sold

20200607_152812.jpg

• Like 1