Bill Gates Becomes Biggest Private Owner of Farmland in America

Grouse

Not what I said at all and if you think I did, you need to improve your reading comprehension skills. You leftists always think the government is the solution to everything.  I don't.

An educated public might want to know if they should be pushing back on a rich man's agenda that threatens their freedom.  But we don't have an educated public, do we?

Just now, Grouse said:

Not what I said at all and if you think I did, you need to improve your reading comprehension skills. You leftists always think the government is the solution to everything.  I don't.

An educated public might want to know if they should be pushing back on a rich man's agenda that threatens their freedom.  But we don't have an educated public, do we?

America should look into it? Who is america?

A word to the mods,if a topic is started by grouse and phantom is the first to reply it probably should go in the political section. It is one thing if one goes there to read crazy stuff,but it would be nice  if it didn't spill over into the general forum.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

there's a big hitch with that. even though our NY Governor and the incoming POTUS have pushed alternative energy like solar the regional utility infrastructure here in NY can't always handle it. Trust me.  You can buy around XX acres of flat south facing land, commercially zoned, dirt cheap at a tax auction.  Spend time and money to install tile drainage, clear a more of it, turn it into ag fields. Then have a solar corp go thru planning, design, and town board approval.  Have power pre-purchase agreement with a state college and lets say GE. When you think you're home free National Grid elec utility says "yea we took another look and our lines in that location won't support that much power. ...but good news is if you foot a multi-million dollar bill for upgrades to our infrastructure then we're all set."  So now your whole project to turn a profit that's about 128x your investment over the course of 30 years is dead in the water.  i know of a few other people that have been sitting on these projects for several years too.  good news is you can always turn around these properties to someone who's willing to wait for a premium.

Great explanation. Thank you.

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

How would an informed public be able to do anything about a private citizen buying land?  

You dont make much sense.

Enormous wealth brings enormous power.

Enormous power can be very dangerous.

The American people saw this with the wealthy 100 years ago.  Rockefeller, Carnegie, Morgan, etc.  The public has a right to question what these very wealthy, very public figures, are doing when they start spending massive amounts of capital on a project, especially when it seems to be outside their sphere of expertise or influence.

Since when is it not in the public's best interest to question something like that?  The question "Who is America?" seems a bit odd, since it is the citizenry of America of course.  MYOB?  This is the business of American citizens.

We question all sorts of private power structures in this country all the time, from Elon Musk to Facebook and all the social media giants with approval of all, but we are not to question Gates when he does something that seems odd?  We can debate global warming and systemic racism but not the motives of powerful elites?

I find it very weird people condemn such an inquest.  I also believe many of Gate's projects have been questioned already, due to their extreme weirdness.

This was not meant to be a political discussion at all, but people tend to drag it into that arena for some reason.  Gates is a private individual, American citizens in the private sector have a right to question his agenda.  That's what true journalist used to do and they did it to alert the citizenry.  Gates can chose to remain aloof and offer no transparency, but that shouldn't stop the public from questioning him or keeping an eye on his moves.  They have every right to do so and they are not demanding the government get involved. 

That's what the American ideal is supposed to be about.  The people have the power and the people have the right.  If it turns out his farmland accumulation will somehow be detrimental to the citizenry, and public pressure can't make him change his course, at that time it may be necessary to determine the legality of his agenda and move to stop it if is illegal.  I for one, do not think it prudent to ignore.  Others may disagree.  That's call freedom of choice.  But sometimes bad things happen when people make poor choices.

• 4 weeks later...
This is nuts, which means Dems might support it.
How would you respond to Bill Gates on this absurd suggestion?

Bill Gates Goes After Meat: US, Other Wealthy Nations Should 'Use Regulation' to Move to '100% Synthetic Beef'

Bill Gates Goes After Meat: US, Other Wealthy Nations Should 'Use Regulation' to Move to '100% Synthetic Beef

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/bill-gates-us-wealthy-nations-use-regulation-move-100-synthetic-beef?fbclid=IwAR1ptlvMxs-RX7S99wON9xnlo387oqa6U-UlWXw6tYpaK7o9pdKcAz_FOeo

Edited by Grouse