Ammo prices WOW !!! Why so much for .22 lr

luberhill

I'll agree to dis agree ...... 
Shoot straight and shoot often ...

I don’t know what there is to disagree with, if people didn’t buy things things would be cheaper. That’s obvious, if people didn’t buy F150’s my F150 wouldn’t have costed 60k. But people want F150’s even though their current one probably works fine and will for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree to dis agree ...... 
Shoot straight and shoot often ...

I don’t know what there is to disagree with, if people didn’t buy things things would be cheaper. That’s obvious, if people didn’t buy F150’s my F150 wouldn’t have costed 60k. But people want F150’s even though their current one probably works fine and will for a long time.

I disagree with " sportsman " buying ammo if they have enough.  What constitutes enough ,let's use common sense here . We all try to encourage new shooters and hunters alike,  to be hoarding ammo is discouraging said hunter's and shooters alike . 

• Like 1

I disagree with " sportsman " buying ammo if they have enough.  What constitutes enough ,let's use common sense here . We all try to encourage new shooters and hunters alike,  to be hoarding ammo is discouraging said hunter's and shooters alike . 

The thing is none of us have a magic ball to tell us the future. If I knew I had enough I wouldn’t be buying, until I know what the future will hold I’ll keep buying. If that makes me a hoarder than I guess I’ll take it.

• Like 3

I shot my new 9mm this weekend and it was painful thinking each squeeze could cost me $.70+ cents to replace lol!!

I have enough to protect myself but not a bunch extra so I can practice shoot as much as I want. I got a feeling by summer this should settle down. Remington kicking back in won't hurt either. The stores around here are getting shipments every week, just limited and folks are hoarding as well as other reselling to make $$. It is what it is. At some point it will switch as there is not anywhere near the ammo being manufactured each day being shot. So sooner or later folks will feel they have enough.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Around here ammo prices are not gonna drop anytime soon ..especially with walmart and dicks sporting goods not selling ammo anymore .theres only 2 gun shops around here locally and they cant even get ammo themselves so unless u want to drive over a hour away to look for ammo u are sol...you guys that are in these towns with alot of gun shops are lucky but for us people who are not close to stores at all theres a reaseon we stock up when we can ...could you imagine just needing a 20$ box of ammo and wasting over 25$ in gas to look for it ...na I'll pass

• Like 1

It is tough to get behind the eight ball when it comes to ammo supply if you are a hand loader. It is not to late to get into hand loading your own ammo. I am an avid shooter and other than rimfire ammo I can count on my fingers the number of boxes of factory centerfire ammo I have purchased in the last 50 years. 99.9% of the ammo I shoot and hunt with has been put up by me and to be honest I believe it to be the equal and in many cases better than the factory stuff.

You will never be short if you are a smart shopper and scrounger, you will have good savings to boot. It can come down to even forming your own cases and casting bullets if need be. It can all be done if one gets serious and learns to do it.

I have posted here before it does not cost a lot of money to get started, do not be afraid to buy good used equipment and equipment from multiple manufacturers as most reloading equipment is interchangeable and made to work together.

Al

• Like 6

It is tough to get behind the eight ball when it comes to ammo supply if you are a hand loader. It is not to late to get into hand loading your own ammo. I am an avid shooter and other than rimfire ammo I can count on my fingers the number of boxes of factory centerfire ammo I have purchased in the last 50 years. 99.9% of the ammo I shoot and hunt with has been put up by me and to be honest I believe it to be the equal and in many cases better than the factory stuff.

You will never be short if you are a smart shopper and scrounger, you will have good savings to boot. It can come down to even forming your own cases and casting bullets if need be. It can all be done if one gets serious and learns to do it.

I have posted here before it does not cost a lot of money to get started, do not be afraid to buy good used equipment and equipment from multiple manufacturers as most reloading equipment is interchangeable and made to work together.

Al

SHHHHHHHHHHH now you're gonna make the run on components even higher than it already is!!!!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

#WeDemandADislikeButton

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The thing is none of us have a magic ball to tell us the future. If I knew I had enough I wouldn’t be buying, until I know what the future will hold I’ll keep buying. If that makes me a hoarder than I guess I’ll take it.

Folks are buying for many reasons and no one can say what reason is acceptable or not.  Even the person profiteering may be trying to financially survive having lost their income with COVID shutdown. Can anyone with 100% certainty say Cuomo (or Biden/Beto) won't ban out-of-state online ammo sales?  I'm confident this law could be passed in this state and enforced by the AG.  How about a tax on ammo equal to the selling cost?  Think it's not possible?  Until shooters believe things will not change for the worse I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've been looking into used presses. Those have definitely jumped in price considerably.  

I'm hearing powder, primers, bullets are extremely difficult to find, and prices of those have also jumped considerably.  

true story. .458 caliber is about $1.25 a bullet on the low end unless you want all lead bullets. It's nuts out there even on reloading components. 

Can anyone with 100% certainty say Cuomo (or Biden/Beto) won't ban out-of-state online ammo sales?  I'm confident this law could be passed in this state and enforced by the AG.  How about a tax on ammo equal to the selling cost?  Think it's not possible?  Until shooters believe things will not change for the worse I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not for nothing but I do believe only congress has the power to regulate interstate trade

#WeDemandADislikeButton

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

Not as easy as you say. Not a press in stock, let alone components to reload. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Not as easy as you say. Not a press in stock, let alone components to reload. 

Go to Ebay and type in a search for reloading equipment used and new, there is plenty of stuff available. The selection and prices will not be as good as they were a few months ago because there are a lot of shooters jumping on the hand loading bandwagon.

Al

Edited by airedale

14 minutes ago, airedale said:

Go to Ebay and type in a search for reloading equipment used and new, there is plenty of stuff available. The selection and prices will not be as good as they were a few months ago because there are a lot of shooters jumping on the hand loading bandwagon.

Al

A reloading press is definitely one thing I would only buy used if someone I trusted and knowledgeable in reloading looked at it.  That limits the availability.  And then there's the shortage of components.   

If and when this shortage slows down enough, I definitely will get set up, and be one of the hoarders of primers, powder, bullets, that some on here are complaining about.  

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Not for nothing but I do believe only congress has the power to regulate interstate trade

#WeDemandADislikeButton

You may be right, but regulate and states banning are two different things. There are already vendors that will not sell/ship to NY.  Our government, Federal, State, and local pass many laws beyond their authority and unconstitutional which stand until they're challenged and overturned in a court verdict.  For arguments sake here, let's say NYS passes a law banning online ammos sales, do you think Congress is going to step in to stop it?  

You may be right, but regulate and states banning are two different things. There are already vendors that will not sell/ship to NY.  Our government, Federal, State, and local pass many laws beyond their authority and unconstitutional which stand until they're challenged and overturned in a court verdict.  For arguments sake here, let's say NYS passes a law banning online ammos sales, do you think Congress is going to step in to stop it?  
You can still drive into pa or ohio and buy whatever ammo you like

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

Folks are buying for many reasons and no one can say what reason is acceptable or not.  Even the person profiteering may be trying to financially survive having lost their income with COVID shutdown. Can anyone with 100% certainty say Cuomo (or Biden/Beto) won't ban out-of-state online ammo sales?  I'm confident this law could be passed in this state and enforced by the AG.  How about a tax on ammo equal to the selling cost?  Think it's not possible?  Until shooters believe things will not change for the worse I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bingo .

I mostly buy cigars online , but I just stopped in a local brick and ,mortar . Owner said NYS raised tax on cigars to 75% ! A stick he used to buy for $9 and sell for $14-$15 , now costs him that much .

Biden said he wants to ban online sales of ammo , imagine all of us who buy cases online now hitting the local stores .

Cuomo needs $ and hates us think he cares what your ammo costs ? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Bingo .

I mostly buy cigars online , but I just stopped in a local brick and ,mortar . Owner said NYS raised tax on cigars to 75% ! A stick he used to buy for $9 and sell for $14-$15 , now costs him that much .

Biden said he wants to ban online sales of ammo , imagine all of us who buy cases online now hitting the local stores .

Cuomo needs $ and hates us think he cares what your ammo costs ? 

Thank you for the bingo.

That's a good example of excessive taxation for things the government deems not good for us, just like guns and ammo.

Ammo bans, restrictions, taxes are all on the horizon.  Just further gun control through any and all means.

Cuomo could care less how expensive ammo gets, the more unaffordable the better; and if you can still afford it that's good too because of the taxes.  Excessive taxes on ammo to him is a win-win situation.

Post WWII, you used to be able to buy firearms through the mail, no FFL, USPS right to your door, and military surplus rifles were dirt cheap.  After Kennedy assassination this was ended.  Consider too, WWII veterans were considered heroes, Vietnam veterans vilified, and now veterans are considered potential domestic terrorists.  This shows just how far America has fallen.