John Wayne or Clint Eastwood

rob-c

59 years old here. I was raised on The Duke, and have met a few folks who actually new him first hand...neighbors out west, and one guy who was a stand in in a few movies...(I forget which one).  The two started their careers in very different eras. Wayne was expected to be the standard up right stalwart hero of American Ideals. I can happily watch any of his movies, but invariably he played...John Wayne.

Clint was certainly more varied...from "Play Misty For Me"...a great taught thriller, I believe his first directorial undertaking, to "Unforgiven"....great range of movies, and he also wrote the theme music to many of his films. I would say the Duke was my parents generations hero, with my generation appreciating him like a favorite uncle, but Clint was my generations man. 

• Like 1

Objectively Clint is a much better actor, director, most of his films are higher quality with more character.  But I grew up watching Duke Wayne and you really can't get over that "I'm 5 years old and that man right there is a 20 feet tall hero" first impression.  There's a reason I had cap gun 6 shooters on my bed post from age 3 to 7!

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

anyone that doesnt tear up when he dies in "The Cowboys" is a monster . 

I think he died in over ten movies . My favorite sons of Katie elder 

“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.” – John Wayne

Edited by sbuff