Winchester 209’s specifically for 777

rob-c

The difference is how hot they burn. The regular 209 shotgun primers burn hotter then the ones designed for muzzle loaders. The theory is it doesn’t melt the sugar based powder that leaves the ring at the breech of the barrel. I never found it to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rachunter said:

The difference is how hot they burn. The regular 209 shotgun primers burn hotter then the ones designed for muzzle loaders. The theory is it doesn’t melt the sugar based powder that leaves the ring at the breech of the barrel. I never found it to be true.

Thank you this is what I was looking for. 

15 hours ago, Trad bow said:

Will these work with white hots ?

They should i've used them with other substitute  powders with no problems.It might be wise for everyone to grab a few packs before they disappear like regular 209 primers.I still see them in walmart.

Arnt they just a weaker charge so they don't dislodge the load before it fully cumbusts?

This is the difference, it’s a slower burn rate in the primer. Supposed to not move charge before it ignites and make a more even ignition of the pellets. I never noticed a difference, the pellets still left a burn ring from the glue and never gave great accuracy.

Ok my dad is just got an in-line and bought a bunch of these primers at Runnings in Canandaigua. We haven’t shot it yet but are going to be shooting white hots , sounds like they will work. I shoot a flintlock and a percussion sidelock  so it’s all foreign to me. 

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is the difference, it’s a slower burn rate in the primer. Supposed to not move charge before it ignites and make a more even ignition of the pellets. I never noticed a difference, the pellets still left a burn ring from the glue and never gave great accuracy.

I tried the white hots and couldnt even push a second round unless I sent a brush down the barrel first. Tons of crud left behind .

• Like 1