Speeding ticket

crappyice

I may or may not have received a speeding ticket - it may or may not be my first ever ticket that I was actually given!

I pled not guilty as I am hoping for it to be reduced to a “no points” infraction. I received a letter asking if I would accept a plea bargain by mail due to Covid or if I would like an in-person date.

Anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if I must just accept their offer via mail? How would I plead my case if I am not satisfied?

I feel like they are encouraging the “by mail” option to keep the in person exposures down. I am hoping that would give me the best plea.

Or do i suck it up, make a date, take a day off work, blah blah blah....

Calling all criminals and lawyers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the “ plea bargain ?” How many point do you face now ? 

As far as fighting it much depends on the cop , some will be pissed you’re fighting it others don’t care , if you go the court route there’s a chance he doesn’t show ,and you skate . But he gets OT for being there , so unless his kid has a game that night he’ll show.

Ive never got a speeding ticket although one Trooper on the thruway who stopped  me for speeding , wrote me for a seatbelt violation instead , I wrote the court ,apologized and get reduced it further to a parking ticket $10 .

When Samantha was 16 she rear ended a car, I wanted her to fight it as the car owner she hit lived 2 hours away and I knew wouldn't show for night court . But she was chicken , had my attorney write the court and they reduced it to a two point violation . Called our insurance agent and asked about any increase due to the ticket , they said the company may never even learn of the ticket, her rates never went up .

A Trooper had me doing 74 in a 55 couple weeks back, he pulled out followed me a bit, then broke it off .

Oh and the Waze app is nice but not a sure thing, I was running it that time and it didn’t show he was sitting there .

Edited by Nomad

Just pay to avoid going to court and pay even more there . Unless you know someone  or have a good BS story all you are going to do is piss the cop and the judge off  frankly you should have asked the cop  nicely for a warning  and tell him sorry and you probably would of gotten off  after he checked your record never lie to a cop it just pisses them off .

Edited by phantom

If it's a local court they will send you when court is open with a.date if you send in not guilty. There is always a DA or assistant there and usually you can meet with them and they will reduce it and just charge you the court free. The township only gets the court fee the rest goes to the state so they get their part.  

All speeding tickets are moving violations and you will get points. If you plead guilty you won't have to go to court but you will get fined and court fee and points on license.  And they will send you fine in the mail.

If you plan to go to the court date I would suggest taking the defensive driving class before you go and take the certificate with you .  They will almost always throw out the ticket and you will pay the court fee only. 

You didn't say how much over the limit you were but if it's 11+ mph your gonna want to get it reduced. If it's less and you just don't want to go to court then you'll have to pay the full amount. 

Add in- did they define what the plea offer was?  If not ask them what it is and tell them you will take the defensive driving class and mail in the certificate to them as well. They will prob throw it out or make it a non moving violations. No matter what your already in for the court fee at the least which is usually $90+.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you plead not guilty , the prosecutor most likely will offer a reduced violation . Usually a failure to obey some other traffic violation . They don't want to go to court . It will still cost the same as the speeding ticket plus a state surcharge . No points on the license . Been there - Done that .

• Like 2

Each court is different.  Some won’t reduce the charge, others will only offer a one step reduction (from 3 to 2 points for example) and others will offer a better deal.  I suspect it will be a good offer due to Covid since they don’t want a backlog.  What was the speed and what is the reduced offer?  Either way, you are highly unlikely to beat the ticket so most likely a plea to a reduced charge is your only real option.  And honestly The ADA will usually make the same offer whether you have an attorney or not.  Only if you are on the verge of losing a license does a lawyer make sense in traffic court IMO.

by the way, insurance should only be impacted if the plea is greater than 4pts.  

and as a disclaimer, this is not my area but I certainly have helped friends and family on occasion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got a speeding ticket in december 17mph over a couple weeks ago I got a plea in the mail for one parking ticket no points.  I took that all day.

I got 6 speeding tickets in 2018 and 5 in 2019 and 1 in 2020. 

I have 0 points on my license luckily they are all plead down to parking tickets.

When I was in my late teens early 20s I hardly  ever got lucky and had them reduced or not reduced to no points.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red said:

I got a speeding ticket in december 17mph over a couple weeks ago I got a plea in the mail for one parking ticket no points.  I took that all day.

I have 0 points on my license luckily they are all plead down to parking tickets.

12 speeding tickets in 3 years should not result in 0 points on ones license.  Our system is obviously screwed up.  Sorry, but you are lucky that I'm not a judge.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I was in my late teens early 20s I hardly  ever got lucky and had them reduced or not reduced to no points.
Holy Hell Red.......slow down and save the money for an outta state hunt!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I heard about a guy who once got an 81 in a 55 , the trooper told him to plead not guilty and the city would send him a plea deal . The plea deal stated what the maximum charge was (4 points and like a 250 dollar fine ) the plea deal was no points and like a 350 dollar fine. I'm pretty sure those fine amounts are correct. 

• Like 1

I went to court in Junius Ponds and one guy had the cop not show, the judge said you'll have to come back next time. So I can tell you first hand that you do not skate if the officer doesn't show. I've gotten three speeding tickets and all three times gotten it reduced to failure to obey a traffic signal. Paid a fine and went to traffic school, which is far better than your insurance going up. When I was 16 I went to traffic court and the kid ahead of me was doing 125 in a 25! The judge said "Bailiff give this young man your gun so he can kill himself rather than take someone with him!!" Lol, true story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

How did I know some on here would have valued experience in such matters!!!

So the letter I received was not their “offer” but only a letter asking if I would accept a “plea through the mail” or if I wished to have a court date.

I already mailed in the ticket (not guilty).

I know of someone who got pinched for similar numbers to Jermey’s above and he went to court (pre-Covid) ended up with a zero point parking violation. That’s what I am looking for!!!

Hoping to go with the Mail-in option and maybe will slip a note in there showing that I signed up for a defensive driving course already...should I tuck a crisp $100 in there too?!?’!?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red said:

Wouldn't you be better off flying ?   No speed limit up there !   LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Each court is different.  Some won’t reduce the charge, others will only offer a one step reduction (from 3 to 2 points for example) and others will offer a better deal.  I suspect it will be a good offer due to Covid since they don’t want a backlog.  What was the speed and what is the reduced offer?  Either way, you are highly unlikely to beat the ticket so most likely a plea to a reduced charge is your only real option.  And honestly The ADA will usually make the same offer whether you have an attorney or not.  Only if you are on the verge of losing a license does a lawyer make sense in traffic court IMO.

by the way, insurance should only be impacted if the plea is greater than 4pts.  

and as a disclaimer, this is not my area but I certainly have helped friends and family on occasion.  

This is the best advice and precisely how it works.  When my brother was a kid he got an excessive noise ticket for his hot rod (headers with open pipes).  He plead not guilty and showed up to court with a signed letter from an exhaust shop that on the day of the ticket the exhaust system complied with all NYS codes including noise.  The ADA offered him a reduction to a different equipment violation, which he balked at.  The ADA then explained to him that he was not walking out of there without paying a fine.  It is about the $$$ and not points.  You almost always can trade points for $$$.  Be polite, respectful, and dress appropriately for the court (even if online), and say something like "I understand there is a cost to the court for these proceedings and I have no objection to paying a fine, my only objection is a moving violation with points."

Edited by DoubleDose
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

How did I know some on here would have valued experience in such matters!!!

So the letter I received was not their “offer” but only a letter asking if I would accept a “plea through the mail” or if I wished to have a court date.

I already mailed in the ticket (not guilty).

I know of someone who got pinched for similar numbers to Jermey’s above and he went to court (pre-Covid) ended up with a zero point parking violation. That’s what I am looking for!!!

Hoping to go with the Mail-in option and maybe will slip a note in there showing that I signed up for a defensive driving course already...should I tuck a crisp $100 in there too?!?’!?!

It all depends on the court, judge and ADA you are dealing with.  Send back the letter stating that you will consider a plea to a reduced charge, include a copy of your drivers abstract if you can get it showing that you have a clean driving record (or at least explain that you have a clean record) and request a plea to a no point charge such as a parking violation.    

People think that because their buddy got x reduction, they will.   Not necessarily true.   City of Rochester traffic court won’t deal at all, Brighton offers one step reduction , Webster is more favorable and often the small towns along the thruway don’t care about points, just cash.   So do the best you can to request the greatest charge reduction and move on!

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

went to court in Junius Ponds and one guy had the cop not show, the judge said you'll have to come back next time. So I can tell you first hand that you do not skate if the officer doesn't show

Each court is different , some let you go, some will allow a deposition , as in my daughters case because of  the distance the other party would have to travel , some may make you come back . That was the discussion with my attorney, that court ( Victor ) are pricks .Their deal was 2 points not 3 BUT if she came to court and fought it the deal was off . No parking ticket stuff there .

i know guys who skated for no shows , wrong date on ticket and so forth . No show was the rule around here and why many would fight it , perhaps things are changing . I always get a have a nice day sir and I’m on my way, in ten seconds , except that one Trooper in Corfu.....

Another relative , long time attorney, former 1st ADA , always told me put 5K in an envelope, and he can make anything go away . A lot for a ticket , but when a store on UB’s campus said they were filing charges against me,  I thought it may be worth it . But that went away at no cost . God Bless America ! 

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I went to court in Junius Ponds and one guy had the cop not show, the judge said you'll have to come back next time. So I can tell you first hand that you do not skate if the officer doesn't show. I've gotten three speeding tickets and all three times gotten it reduced to failure to obey a traffic signal. Paid a fine and went to traffic school, which is far better than your insurance going up. When I was 16 I went to traffic court and the kid ahead of me was doing 125 in a 25! The judge said "Bailiff give this young man your gun so he can kill himself rather than take someone with him!!" Lol, true story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All depends on the court.   There are no hard and fast rules in traffic justice.  Lol

Edited by moog5050

I bet I'm the only guy to get pulled over on thru way at x33 on way to camp on Friday and then the same trooper at x33 on way home Sunday.  That was back when it was 55mph. I got nailed doing 63 and 62 each time . Had to be early 90s

• Like 1

My biggest ticket was when I was When I was 19. Me and 2 buddies went fly fishing for the first time one buddy hooked the other in the eye. We walk up to the nearest house and ask if they have snips so we can cut the hook. The lady freaks out calls for an ambulance my buddy starts freaking out thinking its worse then what it is.

He actually got in the ambulance to go to the hospital. I kick off the waders and everything the ambulance has a 5+ min head start on me not sure what hospital he's going to.

I'm doing 110mph down the 400 back when it was 55mph.  My buddies radar starts going nuts I slow down enough to be clocked at 94 in a 55.  8 pts on the license $435 they didn't plead that down and the judge threatened to send me off to jail.

• Like 1

I was in the local traffic court a few years back and the judge went off on a 17 year old kid. The kid's dad was with him and they were both dressed real nice and very polite. The judge told him it was a privilege to have a driver's license and read him the riot act for well over 5 minutes. The kid was shaking and I am guessing had no clue what end was up when the judge was done.
He also told the kid if he ever saw him in his court again for an excessive speeding ticket his license would gone....and only a lawyer could get it back.
I may have been next in line and I was shaking in my boots.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1