Corned Venison

Team Hoyt

Tomorrow im taking the venison out of the brine. Its been in for a week now. I see that I need to simmer the venison in water til a internal temp of 165. The roast im using was already frozen. Should I cook it tomorrow and refrezze it. Or can I just freeze it and cook later when ready to eat?

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Wait.   Roast is still frozen, or put in the brine when frozen?

What is in this brine? Ingredients please? 

No it was thawed before putting in the brine.

I used instacure 1, sugar, pickling spice, cinnamon stick, kosher salt, sugar, garlic cloves.

I followed a recipe on hunter, angler, gardner, cook website

Separate the hind into the 3 major muscles. Remove all the fat, and silver skin.

Brine: To every gal of water.
1 tbsp of cure #1
1/4 to 1/3 cup kosher or sea salt. I use 1/4 c.
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar, splenda, or light brown sugar. I use 1/4 c...  I've used each, and really can't tell the difference.
One tbsp of onion and garlic powder.
Vary your salt and sugar on future batches until you get the flavor profile you like. I have a older couple that loves this stuff, but they like it sweeter,  so I use a 1/2 cup of sugar for there batch.

In a sauce pan.. 2 cups water and 1/3 cup of pickling spices. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 20 min to release the oils and flavors.  Let cool and add to the brine.

I inject each piece several times to aid in brining. Place in a container,  and into the fridge for 14 days. Now you can brine for 10 days, but salt absorbs faster then sugar, and the longer time will help the sugar counteract the saltiness. 

Smoking:
Remove from the brine, and rinse.  Rub with salt, pepper, and onion and garlic powder.
Smoke at 225* until a IT of 120*. Then steam to a IT of 140*.  don't go much higher, as venison is very lean, and it will dry out.

This is a recipe Ive used for yrs. You can adjust the salt to your liking.  In a immersion brine, the salt absorbs faster than the sugar.  Leaving it in the brine longer, 10 day to 14 days,  will help the sugar balance out the salt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

No it was thawed before putting in the brine.

I used instacure 1, sugar, pickling spice, cinnamon stick, kosher salt, sugar, garlic cloves.

I followed a recipe on hunter, angler, gardner, cook website

Ok.  Instacure is a salt based cure.  Before smoking,  cut a little off and pan fry.  If too salty, soak in clean cool water for a couple hrs.  If still salty, do it again.  

Edited by mowin

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I boil/smoke now (upon chefs recommendation) and then freeze after it is cooked.
I brined and boiled two roasts this year- one is in the freezer now and the other is long gone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't last long here either.