New Euro mount

NYbuck50

Just got this back from the tax. yesterday, thought id share it.. I've been taking my deer to GB Meats in North Syracuse for years, this is the first time i've tried them for a euro mount.. They do great work, and prices are very solid..

Also, interestingly, when i got this rack home and on the wall, i realized i had most likely shot this deers father too. A 3 1/2 yr old small 8 pointer i shot in 2009 on the same hill has an almost an identical rack, (though much smaller). My best guess is the 2009 buck, fathered the 2011 buck in 2008 when he was a 2.5yr old 6 point and was hanging on our property with about a half dozen does.

post-1441-0-31948300-1329492933_thumb.jp

Nice mount! But it looks an american version of a european mount. a true european mount removes the top palate of the mouth, removing the teeth. this is a faster easier way that american adopted... if not done well the teeth will losen and fall out of the skull eventually.

Hey guys, I have done many of these - they are pretty easy to do. In fact I thought have doing them myself. I have read a ton on different methods but the cheapest and easiest by far is the "lazy" way. Take the hide and as much meat as possible - you don't have to go crazy, just get the bottom jaw off. Then get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water and let it soak for 6-7 weeks changign the water 3-4 times. The emat will all fall of. Then wire it somewhere high enough where it get ssome nice summer sun but where animals can't get it for another 2 weeks. I spary clorox clean-up on mine and they whiten up nice without bone decaying. The first one i did was probably in 2002 and it still is in mint shape. It beats boiling and the bug method and it will save you some cash. Anyone who lives in the rochester area I would be happy to show or even do with you - I have one to do myself this year. i'll start at the end of turkey season or just after turkey season. They look much nicer than just a skull cap.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting how the son, father, grand father, and so on, can stick around on the same piece of land. We have seen this time and time again here. The genes stay in an area for a long time. The same shapes of the rack, right down to the same kickers, body sizes, can repeat themselves year after year. Congats on your harvest, and that sure was a nice job done on that skull. I'm working on my first, learning alot, as I go. Would like to take up taxidermy some day.

Thanks, by the way, was doing some scouting a few weeks ago at this property, and caught a look at what i think is this bucks son. He was a 2 yr old 6 point this year, still sporting his antlers. im planning on not hunting him this coming season, in the hopes he survives to hunt him in 2013. Goodluck on your mount and goodluck this fall

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting how the son, father, grand father, and so on, can stick around on the same piece of land. We have seen this time and time again here. The genes stay in an area for a long time. The same shapes of the rack, right down to the same kickers, body sizes, can repeat themselves year after year. Congats on your harvest, and that sure was a nice job done on that skull. I'm working on my first, learning alot, as I go. Would like to take up taxidermy some day.