portable shower systems

rachunter

I'm looking for some advice and experiences on a portable shower system.After spending a few days up at my place without a shower i'd like to try one of these. I'll also be using it for overnight hunting and fishing trips.I tried the sailer shower/babywipe way there not for me,I need a some what decent shower preferably hot.Anyone have any recommendations and experience with these?? 

We use a "zodi" portable shower pump.  At our cabin in the adks I have an old 1/4 keg with a spigot tube brazed on.  Sits on the wood stove and you have plenty of hot water.  Mix the hot water with some cold to the temperature you wish in a 5 gallon bucket and you are on.  We have a shower stall in one of the bedrooms but when we first got it we improvised.  Uses D batteries and is a welcome amenity after a couple days in the woods.

in the summer we just heat some water on the stove or outside on the burner for the turkey fryer.

• Like 1

Probably not what your looking for but this is what I do at camp.

Lay a garbage bag on the floor and put a towel on top of it. Warm 4 or 5 water bottles in a big pot of water on the stove. 1 to wet down 1 to wet wash cloth and 2 or 3 to rinse.

The towel on the bag works really good at not making a mess. It’s not perfect but it makes you feel human and be able to stand your own Stink!

Usually during the summer until the first week of gun season I do my bathing in the brook behind camp. It’s always cold but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a Gasland tankless using a 5 gal blue water jug for a feed on gravity. Runs on propane. 

It's small and portable, hangs just about anywhere. Use a plastic mortar tub from a box store for a clean place to stand.

Whole setup for $150, unit, tubing , fittings.

I've used a solar "sun shower" in remote fly in camps. In direct sun the water is so hot it has to be mixed with cold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Probably not what your looking for but this is what I do at camp.

Lay a garbage bag on the floor and put a towel on top of it. Warm 4 or 5 water bottles in a big pot of water on the stove. 1 to wet down 1 to wet wash cloth and 2 or 3 to rinse.

The towel on the bag works really good at not making a mess. It’s not perfect but it makes you feel human and be able to stand your own Stink!

Usually during the summer until the first week of gun season I do my bathing in the brook behind camp. It’s always cold but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried this at my house it works but these shower systems look much better.Plus i can use it for exploring farther up north when the time comes.

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I have a Gasland tankless using a 5 gal blue water jug for a feed on gravity. Runs on propane. 

It's small and portable, hangs just about anywhere. Use a plastic mortar tub from a box store for a clean place to stand.

Whole setup for $150, unit, tubing , fittings.

I've used a solar "sun shower" in remote fly in camps. In direct sun the water is so hot it has to be mixed with cold. 

Thanks this looks like it will work out.

43 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Thanks this looks like it will work out.

I found some clear tubing at hardware store that fits the spout of the typical water jugs for camping. Put an adapter of a few brass fittings to water inlet of heater.

When I hook it up I let the water run to make sure heater is full before turning it on.

Other then having to put jug up above unit, it works good. 

• Like 1

We have a Zodi system too...It looks like an old fashioned fire extinguisher....fill it, put it on the stove to heat up (it has a stick on thermometer on the side). When it is hot enough, take it in, insert the pump handle seal, pressurize it and you have a shower. Dont think you are going to be in there soaking for half an hour though. WEt down, quick lather and a rinse, but you are clean. In warmer weather, I have an outside tank up on a rack. I have a faucet with a shower hose on it. Same principle but not as warm. I use a medical head to toe spray soap....good for your hair and everything elese. It is actually no rinse for like hospital bed baths, but it works great and you feel clean. Once it has been below freezing for more than a few days though, the shower is off limits. due to frozen pipe risk. Then I just boil some water and adjust it in a plastic pan, and use the same spray soap scrubbing up from head to toe. Plenty clean for my neck of the woods.

Another Zodi user here. Have used it in the north woods of Maine and 30 miles out in the Atlantic. Can get two showers from a 5 gallon bucket if you hurry. Propane cylinder lasts good. I can't function at full power without a hot shower and a hot coffee in the morning!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daveboone said:

We have a Zodi system too...It looks like an old fashioned fire extinguisher....fill it, put it on the stove to heat up (it has a stick on thermometer on the side). When it is hot enough, take it in, insert the pump handle seal, pressurize it and you have a shower. Dont think you are going to be in there soaking for half an hour though. WEt down, quick lather and a rinse, but you are clean. In warmer weather, I have an outside tank up on a rack. I have a faucet with a shower hose on it. Same principle but not as warm. I use a medical head to toe spray soap....good for your hair and everything elese. It is actually no rinse for like hospital bed baths, but it works great and you feel clean. Once it has been below freezing for more than a few days though, the shower is off limits. due to frozen pipe risk. Then I just boil some water and adjust it in a plastic pan, and use the same spray soap scrubbing up from head to toe. Plenty clean for my neck of the woods.

I have a full shower in my house but don't turn the water on at this time of the year,The last 3 years i've busted a pipe when i did.Most of my trips up are 4 days tops this time of the year.I was looking for the no rinse foam pads.They worked great when i was in the hospital,but couldn't find them.

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I have a full shower in my house but don't turn the water on at this time of the year,The last 3 years i've busted a pipe when i did.Most of my trips up are 4 days tops this time of the year.I was looking for the no rinse foam pads.They worked great when i was in the hospital,but couldn't find them.

Some of the larger drug stores carry the foam cleansers under a number of different brands. The foam pads they call bag baths.

• Thanks 1

We run the ECCOtemp 5 at camp. Works great with a 12 volt RV water pump. I am going to up the unit this year. When our outiside water tank temp get in the 40's it doesn't quite have enough BTU's to get to nice hot shower level. I have been pumping water into a 40 gallon tank in the loft to sit and warm up just for showers. That works great but just gong to try an eliminate a step with a bigger unit. 

one I have now. 

https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l5-portable-outdoor-tankless-water-heater/

One I am getting. 

https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-i12-indoor-4-0-gpm-liquid-propane-tankless-water-heater/

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We run the ECCOtemp 5 at camp. Works great with a 12 volt RV water pump. I am going to up the unit this year. When our outiside water tank temp get in the 40's it doesn't quite have enough BTU's to get to nice hot shower level. I have been pumping water into a 40 gallon tank in the loft to sit and warm up just for showers. That works great but just gong to try an eliminate a step with a bigger unit. 

one I have now. 

https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l5-portable-outdoor-tankless-water-heater/

One I am getting. 

https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-i12-indoor-4-0-gpm-liquid-propane-tankless-water-heater/

This one looks solid but out of my price range.

https://bigkahunashowers.com/