Maple sugaring

mowin

On 3/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the syrup or the Ball jars? lol. Ball jars are about like ammo right now

Went online . Paid more , not taking chances on waiting . Had a few more already  on hand . 

331B073E-4BDB-4450-86DA-74D4D90B49BC.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure. Nothing super special. I will say that this will probably be my last year with the hanging bucket taps. The tube taps are so much easier to deal with. 

E0BC95F6-3B58-4169-9A7B-A3C8917F91C7.jpeg

E6E7BCB9-A597-45C9-B6BE-AFE9D6BCEF47.jpeg

C5DBB53E-564C-4789-8E00-79D353CC3087.jpeg

3D43E19D-0E6D-41C4-B4D0-F1B3000EE0B7.jpeg

Those are some big trees!  Yes, Probably easier with tubes to a bucket on the ground.  Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just curious what do you guys do with all these syrup? Sell it? Give it as gifts to friends/family? How long does it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Farm stands, internet sales, novelty shops. And gifts for family and friends.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinorocks said:

My wife and I just finished bottling 3.8 gallons.  I’m shocked at how light the syrup was!  Not much sap running today.  Drops down to a low 21 tomorrow night so hopefully things pick up!

Cheers!

F70701FB-7BF1-4B42-80A0-175E9914F63D.jpeg

9F39BCA5-8563-4C7C-A7F1-4C8BE13C179F.jpeg

Very nice. Ours was a medium amber. The first few draws on a large evaporator are normally darker. The next few should get lighter.  Hopefully we'll get a few gal of fancy and light amber after this cool down. 

My favorite is dark amber.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just curious what do you guys do with all these syrup? Sell it? Give it as gifts to friends/family? How long does it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We save as much syrup as we need, then with the extra, give it to family and friends. I’m hoping to have enough to make a bunch of candy and some maple cream this year. I’m really small time though. I dont Have enough trees to make that much. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dinorocks said:

Those are some big trees!  Yes, Probably easier with tubes to a bucket on the ground.  Good luck!

Yeah those two trees are huge. My time with them is limited though. The one is smack in the middle of the driveway and needs to go. Probably next year or the year after. The other one by the deck hangs over the roof, deck and where we park our cars in front of the garage. It’s a big issue that I need To take care of before too long. I already Have a good size hanger about 30 feet above the corner of the roof that I need to somehow get rid of before it falls and punches a hole in the roof or busts out one of the big windows in the dining room. 

Boiled for 5 hrs today.  Bottled up 4.25g.  Had to shut down before we ran the head tank dry.  Takes a few hrs and eats 60+ gals of sap to cool down.  

Temps are supposed to drop below freezing tonight,  so hopefully the sap will run tomorrow.   

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, mowin said:
20 minutes ago, mowin said:

Boiled for 5 hrs today.  Bottled up 4.25g.  Had to shut down before we ran the head tank dry.  Takes a few hrs and eats 60+ gals of sap to cool down.  

Temps are supposed to drop below freezing tonight,  so hopefully the sap will run tomorrow.   

My few buckets are very steady but not putting out a ton of sap. I have 9 gallons or so collected from 8 buckets since Tuesday.  They seem to be about the same level every day. I am on an east facing hill and still have snow on the ground,maybe that tempers the flow still?

9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

My few buckets are very steady but not putting out a ton of sap. I have 9 gallons or so collected from 8 buckets since Tuesday.  They seem to be about the same level every day. I am on an east facing hill and still have snow on the ground,maybe that tempers the flow still?

I think The temps not dipping below freezing much the last couple of days have slowed things down. They have for me, not much sap yesterday or today. I also Have 2 trees that have barely started yet. Things should pick back up again here soon. They will really get going in the next couple of weeks. When the trees are running really good I have gotten 2-3+ gallons per day per tap on medium to large trees. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Snow pack definitely helps. Cools the roots off at night drawing the sap down even if the nights don't quite freeze.  No snow pack in my area, so the sap stayed up in the limbs the past couple days. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Here are pics of what I mean  That tree is a monster. In the pic looking up you can see the hanger I’m talking about. 

2D8B74E6-F0F1-4D5E-9FDA-021CBDBC56A3.jpeg

EF6C8BDA-68B6-4710-A6A1-6349DE95D9B8.jpeg

9B9AC11A-432D-47C4-83D9-57A935C1E9F1.jpeg

My neighbor had a large split-trunk silver maple and part of it fell just missing their house.  I recovered the fire wood and noticed a hollow section full of ants...probably were the Achilles heal of that tree.  Good luck getting them trimmed up!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I know that commercial links here are a no no but for long term members why not let these individuals sell their Syrup to other members  ? Just a thought !

Maybe a barter thread would work: "ammo for syrup".   I am keeping my bullets, because I prefer "aunt Jimima" over the real stuff, but I am sure there are many who would be willing to trade.

• Haha 1