Maple sugaring

mowin

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I know that commercial links here are a no no but for long term members why not let these individuals sell their Syrup to other members  ? Just a thought !

I have no issue with those who want to sell their syrup, just put a post in the classifieds non hunting items. You can drop a link in there if you want. Anyone gives you a problem, let me know. 

• Like 1

Checked the two totes tanks yesterday around noon.  The first had barely 15gal. 

Checked today around 3PM, and the first was full, and the second had 50gal and the sap was flowing fast. Temps were dropping fast, so I don't think the second tank will gain much. 

I'll collect in the morning, and start boiling as soon as the head tank is full. Figuring we'll have 450+gal of sap. 

Tomorrow isn't supposed to get much above freezing with the high winds. So probably not much sap flowing Tomorrow.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

Collected 4 gallons today with 3 taps not producing much. All of the others are running solid. One tree was a solid flow out of both taps just a few mins ago as we emptied the buckets. I’m expecting a good amount for the foreseeable days based on the weather. I’ll be boiling early next week for sure. 

• Like 2

Boiled about 150 gallons yesterday.  Perfect day to be in the woods!  I’ll be finishing it up today (new hydrometer arrived late yesterday).  

Not much left to my ice castle.

RO’ed 100 gallons of 3% to 6%...you can see the color difference between the raw sap, concentrate, and permeate.  Collected 50 gallons of sap during the boil...added it directly to the pan as I didn’t want to listen to the generator anymore.  Looks like another boil on Sunday!

Happy sugaring!

0D7FA46F-1A9D-4DD7-88CE-5C1146F8636C.jpeg

DF931983-D6C1-4245-A10C-69FE9B04FE87.jpeg

4270A567-CDDE-41C4-9A83-1B41689FF646.jpeg

3159CCBB-1C4C-406C-BCCA-0445EBFAC982.jpeg

492967A9-A202-436F-AC11-5E74E4FBCE63.jpeg

• Like 8

2 more gallons collected this morning and they are still running. Looks like I’m getting into the part of the season where it runs very well. 

I found these water containers on Amazon a week or so ago and ordered some for storage. I didnt Realize it at the time, but they have a spigot that threads I to The center of the large cap. They are perfect for running tubes to. I’m buying a bunch of them, as they are less expensive than new food grade 5 or 6 gallon buckets. Next season I’ll just use these for collection, it should be much more simple than using buckets to collect, emptying those into larger buckets and then dumping those into these to store until it’s time to boil. I’ll have 2 of these for each tap and just leave them there until full and swap them out. 

CC3F9962-2918-425E-8B51-B1F55DD77065.jpeg

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

2 more gallons collected this morning and they are still running. Looks like I’m getting into the part of the season where it runs very well. 

I found these water containers on Amazon a week or so ago and ordered some for storage. I didnt Realize it at the time, but they have a spigot that threads I to The center of the large cap. They are perfect for running tubes to. I’m buying a bunch of them, as they are less expensive than new food grade 5 or 6 gallon buckets. Next season I’ll just use these for collection, it should be much more simple than using buckets to collect, emptying those into larger buckets and then dumping those into these to store until it’s time to boil. I’ll have 2 of these for each tap and just leave them there until full and swap them out. 

CC3F9962-2918-425E-8B51-B1F55DD77065.jpeg

That's funny,i just saw some of those in someone else's yard yesterday not too far from my house.

What do you guys think about the season so far? I talked to a local maple syrup producer yesterday and he said it is the worst season he has had so far. And next week looks too warm to be good.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

That's funny,i just saw some of those in someone else's yard yesterday not too far from my house.

What do you guys think about the season so far? I talked to a local maple syrup producer yesterday and he said it is the worst season he has had so far. And next week looks too warm for be good.

Yeah they are really nice for what they cost, I was surprised when I found Them that they cost less than simple buckets. I would get a few drums, but I dont really have the setup to use those without it being a pain in the butt. These are easy to handle and move as needed. 

in the past I always tapped around now, so I have nothing to compare mid February till mid March to. I expected it to be slow early. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Link?

Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QC31G6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_THBK37AES84ZMWSWR7RW

made in Canada (not China), 3 year warranty and I can Vouch for their strength as my fat ass can stand on them empty. 

I just emptied my buckets and was surprised to find that the new area i tapped produces twice as much sap as the other area i tapped earlier. Not sure why,maybe because some of the older trees in the first area are by the roadside and not as vigorous as a midsize tree in the prime of its life?

• Like 2

My wife and I just finished bottling almost 5 gallons of syrup...a bit darker than my first two boils (Photo of syrup with labels is from my earlier boils for color comparison). Looking like this Sunday might be it for the season.

5D63F96E-3E9E-416A-AEDD-FF4604023CC2.jpeg

FC57B33F-D56B-4751-909F-0F06C0698034.jpeg

F8F6181F-2C26-4FF1-8122-B06586F718CB.jpeg

Edited by dinorocks
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

My wife and I just finished bottling almost 5 gallons of syrup...a bit darker than my first two boils (Photo of syrup with labels is from my earlier boils for color comparison). Looking like this Sunday might be it for the season.

That’s a great haul! 

• Like 1