Maple sugaring

mowin

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Lol.......

I bet not but in its simplest terms, probably yes.   

The one thing not too many consumers think of is that it's like farming. Sap is a crop.

And some years the weather sucks, and the season can be short.

I run short in the Hudson valley in general being not too far out of the river zone.Earliest tapped was Jan 5 one year and was done by early feb.

We have had banner years too. Tapped Jan 17 and still boiling in end of march. Took almost 3500 gal. off my 275 taps. Buddy ran additional 1700 taps that year and we did boils from friday morning to monday morning around the clock to keep up. Borrowed 55 gallon stainless food drums for finished syrup, could not get enough bottles.

All done, he paid for a daughters college tuition for the year and I went on a hunting safari for a month with the proceeds.

Good times.

Now I just make some for myself and have fun. Enjoy reading threads like this with all sorts of efforts ,big and small , being put forth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

It's worth just a couple bucks to buy a square of filter felt and some pre filters you can get many reuses out of, and ditch the coffee stuff. Like 20 bucks buys a couple years worth of supplies.

Dump it in as hot as it comes right out of the pot.

Just sayin

Tube taps and collection/storage containers were my upgrades this year. A larger pan with a bottom drain and synthetic filters will be upgrades next year. I try To add and upgrade a little each year that I do It.