Great Film - "Why I am a hunter"

Grouse

eh not bad. I don't understand the overproduction at the beginning and while I understand how this could represent many hunters, it doesn't speak much to me. But there's nothing wrong with that. We all hunt for different reasons and that's what's great about it. There is of course a very european/gun hunter vibe to this. I really liked his opening remarks about pressure and balance, that resonated well with me. The processing part is well done too.

Check out stars in the sky on netflix if you get a chance. A longer/different take on why we hunt.

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

eh not bad. I don't understand the overproduction at the beginning and while I understand how this could represent many hunters, it doesn't speak much to me. But there's nothing wrong with that. We all hunt for different reasons and that's what's great about it. There is of course a very european/gun hunter vibe to this. I really liked his opening remarks about pressure and balance, that resonated well with me. The processing part is well done too.

Check out stars in the sky on netflix if you get a chance. A longer/different take on why we hunt.

Agree very European.  An American vibe version would have him dressed head to toe in the latest camo pattern, shooting the latest rifle, in the latest (unnecessary) caliber, with a group of clones all hooting and hollering (like they scored the winning TD in the Superbowl) at the kill shot, and then whoring all the equipment brands (like a NASCAR winner's circle) over the "trophy" animal.

The exception to this stereotype seems to be MeatEater with Steve Rinella.  My non-hunting son happend to watch an episode with me and commented that this was the best hunting show of all the ones he has watched with me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoubleDose said:

Agree very European.  An American vibe version would have him dressed head to toe in the latest camo pattern, shooting the latest rifle, in the latest (unnecessary) caliber, with a group of clones all hooting and hollering (like they scored the winning TD in the Superbowl) at the kill shot, and then whoring all the equipment brands (like a NASCAR winner's circle) over the "trophy" animal.

The exception to this stereotype seems to be MeatEater with Steve Rinella.  My non-hunting son happend to watch an episode with me and commented that this was the best hunting show of all the ones he has watched with me.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of outdoor channel. I stick with meateater, the hunting public, heartland bowhunters and fresh tracks. I think the late 90's early 2000's style hunting shows will go the way of the dodo bird. Guys wised up some to lee and tiffany and the drury brothers marketing style shows. I don't blame them for a second for capitalizing, but I do think many hunters have come full circle and don't mind watching a hunt where nothing is killed at all. And to be fair, this guy in the video above was all about the latest greatest rifle, optics and gear and even says as much. He's just not in camo haha.

13 hours ago, Belo said:

And to be fair, this guy in the video above was all about the latest greatest rifle, optics and gear and even says as much. 

He doesn't advertise for any of it though.  He also doesn't promote the "latest and greatest" equipment.  It's only mentioned in the context of having the best tool for the job, so as to be able to do the job best.  His equipment is all about a one shot, clean, ethical kill.  His hunt wear is all about effectiveness.  I don't see anything wrong with going into that.

• Like 1

It was a good little film, his and my views on hunting and preparing yourself are much the same. These days there does not seem to be much of what I consider to be actual hunting. When I watch one of the current so called hunting shows with a person sitting as snug as a bug in a heated elevated stand with their rifle resting on a lead sled and shooting a big buck feeding on a pile of corn I can only shake my head.

Al

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

He doesn't advertise for any of it though.  He also doesn't promote the "latest and greatest" equipment.  It's only mentioned in the context of having the best tool for the job, so as to be able to do the job best.  His equipment is all about a one shot, clean, ethical kill.  His hunt wear is all about effectiveness.  I don't see anything wrong with going into that.

to be clear, i never said there was anything wrong with it either

7 hours ago, phantom said:

That was amazing the way he captured the air distortion of that bullet just before it hit that animal  don't think I have  seen slow motion  video footage of  it on a hunt before like that . 

This is actually not uncommon and you can see it sometimes on long distance shots in other shows.  The contrail is actually a little easier to see when the image is a little out of focus.  This is a technique used by sniper spotters, as the contrail can be easier to see than the impact.

• Like 2