Laid-off Keystone XL worker shares his heartbreaking message for Biden

13 hours ago, left field said:

Other than America, how many countries have you lived in?

lived in Europe and  don't even  want to live there full time  and that's Europe  extended stay yes,   full time no !!   been , to south America and all the big islands of Caribbean  ,Bahamas and  Bermuda  all nice places to visit  for a few days or weeks  not my cup of tea to live there , well  maybe on a sailboat or yacht just traveling  and fishing around  the  coastline of the world that would be my  idea of a  good time  if I was going to live outside the USA again.   

if you have the money you can live well almost any place good  but why do you want to live full time  around people that are in such poverty in 3rd world  countries  it is depressing  and you don't feel safe around that  at least most people wouldn't feel safe around it .  There is always  the outlier  like you I guess . 

13 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I grew up in northern Germany,about 45 mins south of Hamburg. The landscape is flat there,almost like the Netherlands. That is why i love the area i live in now,the mix of woods and fields and hills. Oh,and the space is nice too. 

Tell the truth even Germany sucks next to USA or you would not be here.  You live better here then there its that simple .   look at  a immigrant  like  arnold schwarzenegger  with all his money he still stays in USA not Europe for example . 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Tell the truth even Germany sucks next to USA or you would not be here.  You live better here then there its that simple .   look at  a immigrant  like  arnold schwarzenegger  with all his money he still stays in USA not Europe for example . 

I live better here? By what criteria? There are good and bad things about both places. This America is best attitude makes people look pretty stupid. There is a whole world out there.

Just like Americans think English is the hardest language to learn. That makes me laugh,because that would make sense when English is the language everybody learns,haha. 

Try learning Finnish,or German for that matter.

Every country has room for improvement in my mind,but of course that depends on your perspective,like everything else.

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I live better here? By what criteria? There are good and bad things about both places. This America is best attitude makes people look pretty stupid. There is a whole world out there.

Just like Americans think English is the hardest language to learn. That makes me laugh,because that would make sense when English is the language everybody learns,haha. 

Every country has room for improvement in my mind,but of course that depends on your perspective,like everything else.

Here everything is bigger, house more land bigger car bigger tv better ac and heating everything !! and you have   more money in your pocket . The cost of living is more in Europe then here . The culture history  ancient  architecture  variety  of food that's a different story those things you cant find here  like what is in Europe    .

Edited by phantom

I think the “America is best attitude” is a pride thing.

I don’t know if it makes me stupid but I’m very proud to be an American I’ve spent my adult life serving this country and I love what this country stands for. I don’t know if America is the best but it’s the best that I have been to.

Unfortunately I don’t like the direction our country is headed but I do have faith that eventually enough people will get sick of the bullshit and start bringing it back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Do you understand the history of this country it was started because people did not want big government stepping on there necks telling them what to do or what to think.

Edited by phantom
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Do you understand the history of this country it was started because people did not want big government stepping on there necks telling them what to do or what to think.

...and if it wasn't for America half this world would speak German, the other half Japanese, and no one would be free.  America has done more for humanity and the world then any country in history.  I think the America is best attitude and pride is justified.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Do you still hold German citizenship ? Also , how would you compare the 2 countries in terms of quality of life ? Did you ever hunt in Germany ? That’s would be interesting to discuss, thanks . 

Yes,I still have German citizenship. As far as hunting goes,it is arranged completely different. I was not into hunting when i was growing up. Getting the hunting license is a serious effort. For a fishing license i  had to take a 32 hr class with a serious written test at the end,not like the hunting license here. Then you could only fish in the ocean or some of the big rivers. Most ponds unless private and streams are leased by clubs. So you would have to join a club to get access.

As far as i know for hunting whitetail or boar or elk the state land is broken up into smaller lots and a single person or group can lease that. Farmland plays into that too to some extent. I dont know about limits and seasons. I am always too busy with family to investigate further when i make it back to Germany.

So hunting and fishing are much easier and cheaper here..But keep in mind,germany is smaller than PA and NY combined and 80+ million people live there,so the resource needs to be protected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think the “America is best attitude” is a pride thing.

I don’t know if it makes me stupid but I’m very proud to be an American I’ve spent my adult life serving this country and I love what this country stands for. I don’t know if America is the best but it’s the best that I have been to.

Unfortunately I don’t like the direction our country is headed but I do have faith that eventually enough people will get sick of the bullshit and start bringing it back around.

Ok i get that i guess. When i grew up in germany there was no flag waving and no outspoken national pride as a late late consequence of us wanting to take over the world. The other European countries were pretty sensitive to German Nationalism,understandably so. I suppose that's why i am sensitive to national pride.

3 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

...and if it wasn't for America half this world would speak German, the other half Japanese, and no one would be free.  America has done more for humanity and the world then any country in history.  I think the America is best attitude and pride is justified.

I agree with the first half of your statement. I certainly would have to be snapping my heels to attention if it wasn't for Americas involvement in the 2nd World war.  

That was quite a while ago though and obviously a good and justified cause. The more recent history of wars starting at Vietnam is more debatable. I get defending your country is noble,but getting sent to far off places for dubious reasons is not. 

National pride is fine,just dont let it be blind is all.

• Like 2

Ok i get that i guess. When i grew up in germany there was no flag waving and no outspoken national pride as a late late consequence of us wanting to take over the world. The other European countries were pretty sensitive to German Nationalism,understandably so. I suppose that's why i am sensitive to national pride.

Yet you still fall for the “giving up freedom for everyone’s betterment.” That’s hard to understand for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I agree with the first half of your statement. I certainly would have to be snapping my heels to attention if it wasn't for Americas involvement in the 2nd World war.  

That was quite a while ago though and obviously a good and justified cause. The more recent history of wars starting at Vietnam is more debatable. I get defending your country is noble,but getting sent to far off places for dubious reasons is not. 

National pride is fine,just dont let it be blind is all.

Speaking of questionable wars, including the "more recent one" you mentioned, along with a couple other questionable ones:  What two things do Jefferson Davis (Civil),  Harry Truman (Korea), and John Kennedy (Vietnam) have in common ?   

Answer: They were all Democrats who led their country in wars that were not "won".

Also, in all 3 cases, it was Republican Presidents (Lincoln, Eisenhower, and Nixon) who ended these pointless struggles.

Think about that next time you cast a vote.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Perhaps , but you should feel that way no longer . Nothing wrong with being proud of being German  as Theres a lot to be proud of . 

9 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Don't you know it's only pride when it's Americans waving the American flag?  Any other country that displays their flag proudly is call propaganda.  How would anyone love the only country they've ever known when they clearly know their country can only be at most 2nd best?

This thread has taken more turns than a road on Switchback Mountain and managed to get us all lost in a wasteland.

We started out asking if stopping the XL pipeline was a bad idea and managed to get distracted by all of this other crap for a total of 8 pages.

Seems to me this is exactly what happens in all current political discourse and the reason nothing ever gets addressed.  If we ever expect to come to any unified conclusion on any issue, we best learn to stay focused on the issue and not allow ourselves to be distracted by special interests that don't want these issues addressed after they achieve control over them for their own benefit.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yet you still fall for the “giving up freedom for everyone’s betterment.” That’s hard to understand for me.

If you want to live together i think it involves some compromise. Left to their own devices there are quite a few people that dont make good choices.

Not many people live on an island by themselves.

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Speaking of questionable wars, including the "more recent one" you mentioned, along with a couple other questionable ones:  What two things do Jefferson Davis (Civil),  Harry Truman (Korea), and John Kennedy (Vietnam) have in common ?   

Answer: They were all Democrats who led their country in wars that were not "won".

Also, in all 3 cases, it was Republican Presidents (Lincoln, Eisenhower, and Nixon) who ended these pointless struggles.

Think about that next time you cast a vote.

How come you left Bush 2 out?

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

This thread has taken more turns than a road on Switchback Mountain and managed to get us all lost in a wasteland.

We started out asking if stopping the XL pipeline was a bad idea and managed to get distracted by all of this other crap for a total of 8 pages.

Seems to me this is exactly what happens in all current political discourse and the reason nothing ever gets addressed.  If we ever expect to come to any unified conclusion on any issue, we best learn to stay focused on the issue and not allow ourselves to be distracted by special interests that don't want these issues addressed after they achieve control over them for their own benefit.

It's like uncle nicky stated earlier in the post once you point out the truths it gets deflected.I saw on another site where it's called "willfully blind" they hear  & see the truth refuse to acknowledge it and start deflecting it.The truth is the pipeline was shut down for no other reason but political pay back period.

• Like 2