Safety harness

G-Man

When I was a teeneager, I remember looking for a suitcase in my mother's closet and stumbling across something similar.

"What the hell is this?"

"Your walking harness and leash."

Seatbelts? We took a road trip in 1970 and I slept in the backseat of the Delta 88 and my little sister slept on the rear deck. God knows where she would have ended up had the brakes been slammed.

One of my younger brothers had to wear a leash like that! We had 10 kids and he was a runner, so my mom would tether him to keep him close by! Today she'd probably be charged with child abuse! I remember family outing at the NYS fair, I ended up in the back of a police car as I got separated from the family. I probably stayed too long looking at the conservation booths and the family went on without me. I'm pretty sure I got a beating when we got home! 

• Like 1

There used to be "lost child" announcements all the time at public events. But they were more of the "come and get your son at the information booth." 

Now, I guess it's more of a shutdown the entire area. 

My nephew disappeared at home when he was four. The panic of those 20 minutes were excruciating. I've never heard that sound of pain from my BiL before. It turns out the little guy was "hiding" in a neighbours yard to play a joke on us.

10 minutes ago, left field said:

There used to be "lost child" announcements all the time at public events. But they were more of the "come and get your son at the information booth." 

My nephew disappeared at home when he was four. The panic of those 20 minutes were excruciating. I've never heard that sound of pain from my BiL before. It turns out the little guy was "hiding" in a neighbours yard to play a joke on us.

I cant even imagine what parents go through when their child is missing

21 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I cant even imagine what parents go through when their child is missing

It was panic. We were at their house and it went from, "where's Sam" in the kitchen to a quick search of the house. Once it was cleared, we moved outside and there we honestly didn't know what to do or where to look. I ran up the street looking for anything out of the ordinary, calling his name, as the rest of the family searched the yard, garage, etc. I figure we were a minute from calling the cops, when a neighbour who heard our calling looked out her window and saw him standing in her garden giggling. 

Maybe the leash parents had the right idea after all.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, left field said:

I had a scary situation like this once.  When my oldest was 2 years old I came home from work one day and didn't see the little guy running around. I asked my wife where he was she says in bed taking a nap. I walked passed his bedroom and he wasn't in there. We searched the house high and low my wife is losing it. He would've had to walk past her in the living room to escape out the door but wouldn't have been able to reach the lock. after 10-15 minutes of losing our minds and me yelling where the hell is my son.  My wife opened up his toy box and he was sleeping inside of it with his toys and stuffed animals.  The lid to the toy box came off and stayed off after that.

It was panic. We were at their house and it went from, "where's Sam" in the kitchen to a quick search of the house. Once it was cleared, we moved outside and there we honestly didn't know what to do or where to look. I ran up the street looking for anything out of the ordinary, calling his name, as the rest of the family searched the yard, garage, etc. I figure we were a minute from calling the cops, when a neighbour who heard our calling looked out her window and saw him standing in her garden giggling. 
Maybe the leash parents had the right idea after all.

My sister did that when she was 4 and my parents rented a house on the beach. She was playing under the deck as everyone thought she drowned since they couldn’t keep her out of the water. When they found her she said with all the yelling her name she thought she was in trouble so stayed hidden. My mother still shakes when telling that story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk