Hevi shot classic doubles

sbuff

To keep you guys busy while sbuff gets some pics of his Dads Parker here are a couple pics of mine . Shot my 1st pheasant with this Parker over 50 years ago while hunting with my Grandfather .  That is not a defect on the chrome plating . That was dust stuck to the oily film . I didn't notice it until after I uploaded the pics. Took it back out of the case and wiped it off but didn't retake the pics . Mine has hand engraving around the perimeter . The much higher grades have engraving on the entire receiver . This gun has cherished memories of hunting with my Grandfather. I haven't fired this gun in over 30 years . Its all original and almost mint condition. Thats our cat Moe at my feet wondering " What the hell is the human doing now standing on my chair  ! " LOL

DSCN9180.JPG

DSCN9181.JPG

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 3

I have several boxes of Classic Doubles lead free shot shells I use on occasion when hunting waterfowl with a couple of older fixed choke Doubles made before steel shot use came into being. It is perfectly safe to used in any non damascus barreled old Double that is in good condition. The will be safe to fire in the old Parker.

From the manufacturer

Classic Double line of shells are designed for older fixed choke and fine classic doubles shotguns. The shotshells are loaded to 1100 fps and relatively low pressures to reduce recoil and function safely in old chambers. To compensate for the slower speed Classic Doubles pellets are dense about halfway between lead and steel and hardhitting.

2 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Have you shot it in a more modern barrel with succes ? I am suprised how cheap i found it .

It will work perfectly fine in current so called modern barrels, I paid pretty high prices for mine and only use it in my older doubles for waterfowl. I have since acquired both bismuth and IXT non lead shot and load it myself at much lower cost but still not cheap.

Congrats on getting a deal, not easy to come by these days.

Al

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Nice shotgun..Is it a Trojan grade  ?  That was Parker's standard field grade gun....Mechanically as good as any, but less engraving, checkering, etc. than the higher grades..

Interesting . I heard that term before so I had investigate a bit. Mine is definitely not a Trojan . The Trojan steel grade was stamped on the rib . Mine is stamped as Vulcan steel . On the Trojan grades I found , none of them had any checkering on the forearm.  Most of them didn't have the same forearm release as mine. The barrels and receivers looked like they were made of lower grade dull steel . From the pictures I saw the elements had a toll on them being pitted and heavy discoloration of the steel . They were a working mans  hunting gun.  In searching , I only found one that even resembled mine , but it looked pretty decrepit condition compared to mine . Half the chrome had flaked off Looked like it went through the mill a few times.  They wanted $3,000 for it.  But mine will never be for sale for any price. Its the gun my Grandfather taught me how to bird hunt with. His famous words that I still go by today that made me be focused on being a good shot .  " Make every shot count . Focus on the 1st shot like it's your last . And if you miss be thankful you have a second chance .

But the funniest thing he would say to me out hunting with the double barrel . " Dont be like your father who thinks firing 5 shots with his Browning and filling the sky with lead  is the way to get a bird . You have to aim at it to hit it. "   My Dad was famous for that 5 shot show. Most of the time it had the same result. No Bird ! LOL

DSCN9183.JPG

DSCN9184.JPG

DSCN9185.JPG

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Interesting . I heard that term before so I had investigate a bit. Mine is definitely not a Trojan . The Trojan steel grade was stamped on the rib . Mine is stamped as Vulcan steel . On the Trojan grades I found , none of them had any checkering on the forearm.  Most of them didn't have the same forearm release as mine. The barrels and receivers looked like they were made of lower grade dull steel . From the pictures I saw the elements had a toll on them being pitted and heavy discoloration of the steel . They were a working mans  hunting gun.  In searching , I only found one that even resembled mine , but it looked pretty decrepit condition compared to mine . Half the chrome had flaked off Looked like it went through the mill a few times.  They wanted $3,000 for it.  But mine will never be for sale for any price. Its the gun my Grandfather taught me how to bird hunt with. His famous words that I still go by today that made me be focused on being a good shot .  " Make every shot count . Focus on the 1st shot like it's your last . And if you miss be thankful you have a second chance .

But the funniest thing he would say to me out hunting with the double barrel . " Dont be like your father who thinks firing 5 shots with his Browning and filling the sky with lead  is the way to get a bird . You have to aim at it to hit it. "   My Dad was famous for that 5 shot show. Most of the time it had the same result. No Bird ! LOL

DSCN9183.JPG

DSCN9184.JPG

DSCN9185.JPG

From your photos your gun is definitely a higher grade than the field grade Trojan.... Lots of  info out there on quality American made doubles...Often information is stamped on the water table... Beautiful shotgun...