Sea glass jewelry, my new hobby ...

Nomad

So I have a big bowl of it we’ve picked up over the years , then I just learned folks make jewelry out of it ,so I’m given it a try . So far just crude wire wraps, I’m working on my drilling  skills on lesser pieces , along with silver soldering , so I can expand . It’s actually fun, I go into my gun room turn on some music, pour three fingers of whiskey, and spend an hour trying to figure out how to do some wraps I see on the net . Drilling will  allow me to make earrings out of my smaller pieces , and just hang a single naked piece of glass on chain or leather cord as some prefer to showcase the glass only .

Anyways only about 10-15 % of my pieces are suitable for what I’d like to do, if anyone has any, knows anyone who does , PM me . It doesn’t have much value , I’ll pay shipping and a few bucks more for your trouble and make you a piece if that works . Roch- Buff I’ll pick it up .

Worn completely smooth and frosted preferred. 

It’s nuts the response those first ones are getting !

58716E30-9B3A-46AD-BB95-15A902D5CBA0.jpeg

4E88DB3D-EA43-47AF-9D42-742B49052C53.jpeg

• Like 8

I've seen stuff like that for sale before. Not my cup of tea but people love it. I always thought they were made by some hippie smoking a joint while working on them. Guess now i'll be picturing a buff retired firefighter sipping whiskey. Hahaha....Nice job!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Going by the YouTube videos I’ve watched ApexerER , May be spot on .

Larry, good idea, my friend Joe, has his Elk teeth , he was surprised when they pulled them out and gave them to him ....

Im still learning and a couple in the pic will be redone ,as the glass is good but I’m not happy with the wraps .

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Larry, good idea, my friend Joe, has his Elk teeth , he was surprised when they pulled them out and gave them to him ....

Im still learning and a couple in the pic will be redone ,as the glass is good but I’m not happy with the wraps .

I think they look nice. What are you using to drill into it? 

• Like 1

I'll keep this in mind..if you're still doing it come summer time, let me know. I usually find quite a bit on the beaches down here on Long Island....The Atlantic Ocean and sand does a real nice job on it, that and some of the sea shells I find....we call it Beach Glass down here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Oh no.   Say it ain’t so.  The most macho man I know has succumb.   

Interesting new hobby buddy.  Enjoy.  

@Nomad is a real renaissance man.  It's only a coincidence that his new hobby will require LOTS of beach time to find raw materials and soak in the scenery.  Heck, he might even get to sell some jewelry to the aforementioned scenery. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnplav said:

@Nomad is a real renaissance man.  It's only a coincidence that his new hobby will require LOTS of beach time to find raw materials and soak in the scenery.  Heck, he might even get to sell some jewelry to the aforementioned scenery. 

You see the real motives John.   I feel foolish now for questioning.   

• Like 1

@Nomad I'll get my boys down to the beach as soon as this frigid weather we are having snaps. I live a few hundred yards from lake Erie and have alot on our beaches. The lady down the street actually has a pretty good side gig making beach jewelry.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's a fine hobby Larry.  I bet an elk bugle tooth would look pretty cool wrapped like that.......

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

elk ivory molars

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'll delete it if larry says so ,I dont want to start any trouble.

It’s my new screen saver ! 

I should have hit Durand Beach a couple weeks ago, the water is low, there was no ice on the shoreline and winter waves stir things up well . It’s really the perfect time , other than no bikinis . 

You can buy manufactured glass, that is new glass that’s tumbled , but real sea glass can take decades for nature to tumble it , which for me is the point really . Along with hunting for it . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1