Sea glass jewelry, my new hobby ...

Nomad

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

My daughter walks Durand Beach a few times a week . She carries a garbage and cleans up a lot of trash . She also picks up a lot of smooth broken glass and has used it in several projects . 

Hey tell her to stop that ! Lol , one reason I’ll be hitting it in winter .

JJB4900 thank you  , I would use that as it’s from nature . I’ll pm you my address and thanks again .

6 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I used to work at Durand. Picked up lots of sea glass. I had a few coffee cans full that I intended to use for some sort of arts and crafts project that I never got around to. If I can find it I'll pass it along. I'm only over in North Greece, so just over the bridge.

Wow that’s awesome , big thanks . We would take our old boat to the beach, then  once we found some by accident , then it became a thing to do there . 

Edited by Nomad

If needed, I have a large collection of “beach glass”.  I spent the last 20+ years working in Massena (USEPA) and rented a camp on an island on the St.Lawrence River.  My kids and I would comb the shoreline and found glass sporadically.  To increase our supply I picked up lots of colored glass from garage sales, broke it up and and put in two “beach glass makers” we constructed.

The first was made from a basketball ball we found washed up on the shore.  I cut a “lid” in the ball, added glass, sand and a little water then sealed it up.  I then anchored the ball in the river (the ball was floating on the surface of the water).  I deployed the beach glass ball in the river for two years (pull it out before ice up and back out after ice out in the spring).  The wave action would cause the ball to bop around and the sand slurry would smooth the glass.

The second setup was a large cage I made with wire mesh.  I filled the cage with assorted glass and staked it in the water along the shore line in a sandy area...the waves would move the sand back and forth over the glass and smoothed the glass.  I kept this one out for three years.

Both methods worked great albeit a bit slow.

Again, let me know if I can send you some.

8BCCF366-DED8-4E9F-BD1C-12B94227C5A5.jpeg

Edited by dinorocks
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

If needed, I have a large collection of “beach glass”.  I spent the last 20+ years working in Massena (USEPA) and rented a camp on an island on the St.Lawrence River.  My kids and I would comb the shoreline and found glass sporadically.  To increase our supply I picked up lots of colored glass from garage sales, broke it up and and put in two “beach glass makers” we constructed.

The first was made from a basketball ball we found washed up on the shore.  I cut a “lid” in the ball, added glass, sand and a little water then sealed it up.  I then anchored the ball in the river (the ball was floating on the surface of the water).  I deployed the beach glass ball in the river for two years (pull it out before ice up and back out after ice out in the spring).  The wave action would cause the ball to bop around and the sand slurry would smooth the glass.

The second setup was a large cage I made with wire mesh.  I filled the cage with assorted glass and staked it in the water along the shore line in a sandy area...the waves would move the sand back and forth over the glass and smoothed the glass.  I kept this one out for three years.

8BCCF366-DED8-4E9F-BD1C-12B94227C5A5.jpeg

Pm sent !

8BCCF366-DED8-4E9F-BD1C-12B94227C5A5.thumb.jpeg.9aa89eafacd95d3f0767fb78281a12f0.jpeg

Of course YOU did!!!

And that is in no way a diss or slam...pure admiration! Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, I’m very grateful to dinorocks , I just received a large shipment of glass and assorted minerals and such, ( I had to, look those up on line ) all individually bagged and labeled .

One of the minerals / crystal has the power of strength and wisdom , that wisdom part I can sure use , probably why he sent those....

Dino, if you don’t mind what are those that the arrow points to ? They are way neat ! 

Big thank you, again ! 
Larry 

E1427E2A-8AF6-4FC7-827A-CCE0FA2FD685.jpeg

• Like 2

Glad they arrived!  The arrow is pointing to polished agate...there are many types of agate...think those are fire agate.  I was a bit rushed when I put the package together and may have missed some other labels ...some of my favorites I sent included  the bag of petrified wood (polished) and the dinosaur poop (unpolished)...that one should be easy to wire.  If the Buffalo Geological Society has its show this year at the Erie County fairgrounds (typically mid-late March), they sometimes have wiring classes...and there will be lots of supplies available.

Enjoy and please send me some Picts of your work down the road.

(and let me know if you have any other ID questions).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

If the Buffalo Geological Society has its show this year at the Erie County fairgrounds (typically mid-late March), they sometimes have wiring classes...and there will be lots of supplies available

That would be great , there’s not much here in the craft stores, and buying online it’s a guessing game . I bought bezel wire, but it’s to narrow, so I sent for wider stuff, same for jump rings they were ok for chain ,but I need bigger for going trough the holes I drill in the glass .

wire wrapping is a learning curve, sometimes a pattern is clear based on the shape of the piece ,other nights I end up cutting it off two or three times .

I also sent for the tools to make shapes out of the wire and suspend the piece inside the wire ,like in this pic . I did form a circle one around a small can of Rem oil....

CA10A9A2-91B1-414B-89AC-95CEACB2E98B.png

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks to jjb4900  who generously sent me these clam shells, just awesome ! The pics don’t do the colors justice. Easy to just hang on a chain and let nature make the statement . I’ve got two picked out for ear rings and many more for pendants .

Thank you again , this forum rocks ! Or shells...

192EEBA5-F84F-4C56-BB39-9A21F9CBB2C8.jpeg

24F39C6A-BB99-4494-8719-54A8E1707D23.jpeg

• Like 2