Anyone eat deer liver?

2GRIT

I think I have seen one to many pictures of deer liver fluke. Or associate it with the look & smell of a gut pile. It's funny I occasionaly like liverwurst with onions. But that's a cold sand. I might be willing to try deer liver, cooked right, but that would have to be a good frackin day.

The first I do when we get back to camp after harvesting a deer is cook the liver up with onions, wine and vinegar...yummy, Us italians eat anything thats not tied down....lol..I have not heard of anybody here mention eating the brain, I have eaten it and its not bad, but my father loves it.

Very interesting to read all the responses. Now for the reason I posted in the first place. A few years ago I was checking my trail cam and stumbled on a very fresh, coyote killed, adult whitetail doe. I moved my trailcam to the site of the kill and started getting pics immediately after setting it up of the coyotes eating her. This went on for 4 or 5 days and then the turkey buzzards and crows moved in by droves. After the seventh day, the carcass was reduced to a bag of bones and hide. The critters had eaten every scrap of meat, all the entrails, even the gruel from the stomach. The coyotes, and likely other carnivores, were chewing on the bones because there was literally no meat left. BUT, lying right next to the carcass lay the liver, fully intact, untouched by even the buzzards. I was amazed that they wouldn't touch it. I have owned a slaughterhouse for almost 20 years and know what a bad liver looks like. This one had no spots; nothing stood out to me that was obviously wrong. I have never liked liver although some of the responses actually sound tempting to try. I love to tell this story to people who tell me they like liver.

I have not heard of anybody here mention eating the brain, I have eaten it and its not bad, but my father loves it.

Funny you mentioned the brain. Us Greeks fight over lamb brain after the whole baby lamb is slowly roasted on an outdoor spit on Greek Easter!. But not this Greek! Blech!!!

I love deer liver.. In my opinion it is much milder in flavor than than beef liver.

Sautee it in bacon grease with lots of onions... LIVIN' LARGE...!..

I also love the heart, sliced about 1/4" thick, floured and browned up in butter...

I have heard that kidneys are good, as long as you boil the piss out of them...

Liver and hearts are guts and get left in the pile for the coyotes. Im not that bad off that I have to eat the guts too. :D

I used to think the same thing. You really should try the heart. Culvercreek convinced me to try it, and now its my favorite piece of meat. Ive tried it a couple of ways, the first is sliced thin, and sauteed in butter, garlic and onions. The second was similar, but I added a little red wine and let it thicken into a nice sauce. The third way was slicing it up like a bell pepper and pickling it, then eating it on Italian bread with a little butter.

Now my stomach is rumbling just thinking about it....

I start it out in bacon grease, real hot, then back it down and simmer it in cider for awhile. It's good. It does pop a little, but I used to be so drunk by the time I cooked it that I didn't care. Now that I quit boozing, I stand back a little.

LOL, thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning Skillet, hahhaa

I'm not much for deer liver, but I have a friend that makes this liver pate that is incredible.. spread it on a cracker and it is delicious!

ooohhhh that sounds like a good idea! Never ate deer liver or heart, maybe I will try it now. I loooove Fois Gras and any form of liver pate so it would be a good fit.

I used to think the same thing. You really should try the heart. Culvercreek convinced me to try it, and now its my favorite piece of meat. Ive tried it a couple of ways, the first is sliced thin, and sauteed in butter, garlic and onions. The second was similar, but I added a little red wine and let it thicken into a nice sauce. The third way was slicing it up like a bell pepper and pickling it, then eating it on Italian bread with a little butter.

Now my stomach is rumbling just thinking about it....

Two things I hate to even smell cooking, Liver and squash. I cant even get a wif of either without dry heaving. :D My buddy said I was missing out with not eating the heart so I saved one from a fawn I had shot. He cooked it up all nice and pretty and it smelled darn good. Then I tasted it and it tasted just like liver, and I almost hurled. I guess its an aquired taste. I'm sick just thinking about it right now. :D

Funny story about me loathing liver, My wife was working at a local dinner while she was going to school. She called and asked if I wanted anything brought home and I told her no I had just eaten. Well she gets home and has what I thought at the time to be a steak and onions. I said oh that smells really good give me a bite, she said ok and cut me off a huge hunk smothered in onions. Well i put the whole thing in my mouth and went to chewin. Much to my suprise it was calf liver which got spit out across the living room :bad: while my wife sat there laughing her butt off. She thinks she's so funny. :girlhaha:

Edited by erussell

Who the heck can explain why they like liver. It looks disgusting. It's part of the guts. It has a very strong flavor that you either like or hate. But I can sit down and eat liver and onions until I'm so full I could bust. I just simply love it. And yet when I was a kid, you couldn't get me to eat the stuff.