Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

Today I headed out to Sodus Bay to go ice fishing. It didn't start out very good. I got about half way there and realized I had forgotten a bucket to put fish in and also my vexilar. So I turned around and grabbed those things. Went and got minnows at the bait shop. Like an idiot I didn't secure my bucket of minnows very well and lost a bunch of those all over the floor of my truck. After that things started to straighten up. I went out to about 20 feet of water and ended up catching a few keeper perch and one lunker. It was a little over 14 inches and made the other ones look tiny. This is a terrible pic but it's all I have. I ended up with about a dozen keepers for a nice little fish fry some time.

20210218_131518.jpg

20210218_125548.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Looked like a lot of folks out there today. Figured people were getting out before it goes to slush this weekend with the warm temps.  Were you off the 14-22 ft break?  

Had to be a beautiful sunset Tonite and light winds so prob a great day to go. 

Lewis Point Parking lot was full even at 1pm.  Luckily someone was leaving as I came in.  

I was at 20’ at the start and had 0 marks, so I moved to 30’ and had marks and a fish.  Died off so I moved around again, ended back at original spot to finish.  Another fish.  Very slow with seeing fish and even harder to get them to bite.  Very tight lipped and scared of any movement.  But had a great day, went alone and played tunes all afternoon. Had lunch at Flo’s Diner.  Easy walk out and back.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Otto said:

Lewis Point Parking lot was full even at 1pm.  Luckily someone was leaving as I came in.  

I was at 20’ at the start and had 0 marks, so I moved to 30’ and had marks and a fish.  Died off so I moved around again, ended back at original spot to finish.  Another fish.  Very slow with seeing fish and even harder to get them to bite.  Very tight lipped and scared of any movement.  But had a great day, went alone and played tunes all afternoon. Had lunch at Flo’s Diner.  Easy walk out and back.

Awesome.  Sounds like a good getaway day even though I am not an ice guy.  And Flo's is a must.  Steak and eggs or hot turkey sandwich is my go to there.  Gotta love the local greasy spoon diner.  

I always tell Corey I want to win enough of the lottery to fish and hunt every day and stop for lunch at Flo's.  I have simple needs. Lol.

• Like 1

Thats a good spot for browns. Probably the only place i see on that river that consistently  has browns.
Oswego is really flow dependant, the fish move a lot when the flow fluctuates. Generally speaking I can usually pick up a fish or two there though. With the right flows they shoot right past there and keep going up. It's hit and miss but always worth a few casts.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spent the weekend on Sodus. Finally got to put a face to@reeltime and I am grateful I did. This guy is the dang mayor of sodus! Some serious hospitality was shown and our entire crew had a fantastic trip thanks to his tips. We never got on a big class of fish but we were able to pick through the dinks that litter the entire bay and grab a few bigguns. What a population of fish! Can't wait to come back!f636b7331b9f6743b79b777a92110b0b.jpgb72061a39ffcfcfed30a8eaafd17e397.jpgb30ae54e359acd7103f471e8422ab49a.jpg107995b9e4b5e0bb78f3a3a15cb5c437.jpg22299ad1434b6ab69fe6f011b7cf507c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Was great to finally meet ya treeguy, I guess we did alright with the weather we were dealt. Hoping when the ice goes we can find some good perch.
Yup no joke how many perch are here this year, the future looks promising for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Pacific spotted bass were hitting ok this morning, from the public fishing pier at Pepper park, just South of San Diego CA.   I had also tried Monday at sunset, with no bite then.

I had a couple hours to kill, before my fight home this morning, and the cheap telescoping rod that I pack in my suitcase was handy.

They were liking the black and white bucktail jig with rubber shad trailer.  The longer, dull colored females (12-15") don't seem to have teeth, but the shorter (10"), more colorful males seem to.  I went back to my room for a thumb repair after the last one.

I caught 4 total, 2 of each. They were very good fighters, on par with smallmouth bass in warm freshwater.  The only other folks on the pier was an Asian couple, over on the other side.  They caught a few smelt, in the 6-12" range.   

The woman brought up 3 at once, and I saw them catch 4 or 5 other singles.  They were keeping them all in a 6 gallon bucket.  I thought about giving them the 4 bass, but opted for release.

20210319_143150.jpg

20210319_143308.jpg

20210319_143236.jpg

20210319_143337.jpg

• Like 10

Had  a  great day my buddy got a huge male 12 to - 15lbs.  Hooked  way more than I landed . I started out swinging  with the spey rod . Love the ferocious take of fresh chrome on the swing .  Late in the day I was working  the pin through a deep narrow channel  when I picked up a brute..

After a long fight I was trying  to muscle the fish into a ledge where I could land her and I  committed  the cardinal sin of reaching up the rod and applying pressure  snapping my rod losing the fish . Still was a great trip and now I have a brand new pin rod .

I think its time to find a net .

20210321_073507.thumb.jpg.df2fa2f35a46460a71bf9fc26d2e0945.jpg

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 8