Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

Hope their mood changes by Sat morn.  Crazy hot for May 20th. 
I mixed it up and hit Onondaga today, largies everywhere but they would avoid any bait that came near them. Saw a ton of bullhead, carp, gar, 1 tiger. I got sunburnt pretty good, and almost too hot to enjoy it this afternoon with no wind.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chrisw said:

I mixed it up and hit Onondaga today, largies everywhere but they would avoid any bait that came near them. Saw a ton of bullhead, carp, gar, 1 tiger. I got sunburnt pretty good, and almost too hot to enjoy it this afternoon with no wind.

Hope your aright after your toxic lake adventure lol! Might be chemical burns not sunburn!!

Hope your aright after your toxic lake adventure lol! Might be chemical burns not sunburn!!
Haha it was hot enough to jump in but I refrained! I will say that my boat gets a scumline every time I fish there. Annoying but worth it for the fishing I guess.

Finally got into some fish on this little creek I’ve been trying to get too. The water is low around here. I caught three of these(browns) and one beautiful brook trout, but I don’t have a net it wiggled out of my hand. I had fun except for the black flies they where relentless even with my bug suit and spray.
0aa2d904bf59d3dea2d7269ba87db8d2.jpg
ece073828df28fe627c383fe64e30b15.jpg
I don’t know the name of it but this was the fly I was using. I dropped one on a brown wooly bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Finally got into some fish on this little creek I’ve been trying to get too. The water is low around here. I caught three of these(browns) and one beautiful brook trout, but I don’t have a net it wiggled out of my hand. I had fun except for the black flies they where relentless even with my bug suit and spray.
I don’t know the name of it but this was the fly I was using. I dropped one on a brown wooly bugger.

Haires ear nymph.

• Like 1

The fish in the pic is a Brook trout.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rachunter said:

Nice, I am headed up to the NW corner of the Adirondack park over Memorial day weekend.  I have never caught a trout on a fly, but I plan on giving it try in the afternoons.  Thanks for posting the picture of the fly.  I will tie up a few like it prior to departure. Some fresh brookies, wrapped in tinfoil, over the campfire would be pretty tasty.

Usually, I target petch in the small lake that my in-laws live on, at that time.  Perch are few and far between on that lake, which is dominated and overrun with smallmouth bass.  I don't like "senselessly maiming" bass prior to spawn, buy I typically catch dozens of them while trying for perch.

Whether I am fishing or hunting, it is mostly about the meat for me.  I remember those fresh wild mountain bookies tasting wonderful, 50 years ago when I ate them as a little kid.  Did you cook them up and how were they ?

My secondary mission, as I fish the little steam that winds around the back of the mountain, is to scout the area for early ML week this fall.  I plan on spending the afternoons on that steam with my fly rod and my 50 cal carbine.  Hopefully one or both will produce some meat.

20210417_113425.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisw said:

The fish in the pic is a Brook trout.

Thanks i wasn't sure,so all of them where brook trout then.The one with the orange belly and white fins i knew for sure was a brook trout.

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Nice, I am headed up to the NW corner of the Adirondack park over Memorial day weekend.  I have never caught a trout on a fly, but I plan on giving it try in the afternoons.  Thanks for posting the picture of the fly.  I will tie up a few like it prior to departure. Some fresh brookies, wrapped in tinfoil, over the campfire would be pretty tasty.

Usually, I target petch in the small lake that my in-laws live on, at that time.  Perch are few and far between on that lake, which is dominated and overrun with smallmouth bass.  I don't like "senselessly maiming" bass prior to spawn, buy I typically catch dozens of them while trying for perch.

Whether I am fishing or hunting, it is mostly about the meat for me.  I remember those fresh wild mountain bookies tasting wonderful, 50 years ago when I ate them as a little kid.  Did you cook them up and how were they ?

My secondary mission, as I fish the little steam that winds around the back of the mountain, is to scout the area for early ML week this fall.  I plan on spending the afternoons on that steam with my fly rod and my 50 cal carbine.  Hopefully one or both will produce some meat.

20210417_113425.jpg

I wanted to try them but wasn't really prepared or expecting to catch anything.My plan is to try every fish up here as i have no experience with freshwater fish.

I just had surgery on my hand so shooting is out of the question.I didn't even get in on any turkey hunting this season.Good Luck fishing and shooting is that the gun with the repaired trigger?

40 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I wanted to try them but wasn't really prepared or expecting to catch anything.My plan is to try every fish up here as i have no experience with freshwater fish.

I just had surgery on my hand so shooting is out of the question.I didn't even get in on any turkey hunting this season.Good Luck fishing and shooting is that the gun with the repaired trigger?

Yes, it's the one.  The JB weld repair turned out ok, but I have not fired it since the repair. I would have taken it up next weekend, if a patched round .50 cal ball was legal for turkey, but it is not (illegal in NY for turkey on 2 counts: rifle, and larger than #2 shot size). 

I will be packing my .410 Winchester model 20 and some high brass # 6's. I only intend to use it if I hear gobbles on the hilltops while I am out on the lake perch fishing at daybreak.  

I have had the lake to myself at daybreak, thru Memorial weekend, for the last 8 years.  I started using the oars rather than the outboard on those outings, out of respect for all the late sleepers.  

Other benefits of no outboard motor noise are less spooked fish and wildlife.  Beavers are common companions at sunrise.  5 years ago, there seemed to be a gobbler going off on every hill around the lake.  They were safe, since I had no tags that year.  I have not heard any since then.

I will be ready for them this year, with 2 tags, 2 calls, a decoy, a popup blind, and this other little peashooter:

20210502_181412.jpg

Ps, I am hoping to not hear any gobbles again this year because i would rather be fishing.

Edited by wolc123

13 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Headed out bullhead fishing tonight. Hopefully well have some luck and fill a bucket or 2.

Well Last night was uneventful not even a bit. We wanted to fish our normal spot at buck pond campground in onchiota but no waterfront campsites available. So we found a nice spot on franklin falls outside of bloomingdale. Was all set up by 8pm fire poles and lanterns cant forget the ruby red kolsh's. We fished till 11 not one bite but it was a beautiful night loons sounding off. When I catch em I either hog dress bullhead or I just get the boneless filets. I prepare them with flour and old bay fish seasoning and deep fry them. We make fish tacos with them or eat them like a perch fry. I've also used them in a fish chowder too. I need to find em before the water warms up. Last year I started in mid april and fished through memorial day. Ive been laid up do to injuries so last night was the first time this year. June 15 frogging season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Went catfishing tonight from the Hamburg Beach area of Lake Erie. Had a blast with two other families but only a nice size Carp was to be had!5cd6abfd02352105df717ed6bd46ce7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

How many beers do i need before that pic becomes clear? 

• Haha 2

Well Last night was uneventful not even a bit. We wanted to fish our normal spot at buck pond campground in onchiota but no waterfront campsites available. So we found a nice spot on franklin falls outside of bloomingdale. Was all set up by 8pm fire poles and lanterns cant forget the ruby red kolsh's. We fished till 11 not one bite but it was a beautiful night loons sounding off. When I catch em I either hog dress bullhead or I just get the boneless filets. I prepare them with flour and old bay fish seasoning and deep fry them. We make fish tacos with them or eat them like a perch fry. I've also used them in a fish chowder too. I need to find em before the water warms up. Last year I started in mid april and fished through memorial day. Ive been laid up do to injuries so last night was the first time this year. June 15 frogging season.
I grew up fishing buck pond, love it up there. Sadly I haven't been back in years now.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, johnplav said:

My father sent me a pic of the “Northern” he caught... I let him know it was a pickerel.  And a nice one!  4lb 12oz and 25 in. 

89CA6EF1-9048-4F40-8932-4DB676D2ED61.png

That is a beauty. Where did he catch it?   I remember catching one that was about that size , 32 years ago in April, on Honeyoye lake while I was fishing for perch and calico's.  It was on the south end near the center, just into the swamp.  I had to release it, because the season was not yet open. 

The quantity of fish caught that morning was nothing special, but the sizes of four was very memorable.  I also caught and released a big largemouth bass.  I got a real big perch that morning, along with a slammer calico.  We ate those two, along with a dozen or so other "just barely keepers" of those species.

That was one day when I would have liked to have had a camera in the boat.  That was decades before smart phones, and I never worried about a camera, while panfishing.

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That is a beauty. Where did he catch it?   I remember catching one that was about that size , 32 years ago in April, on Honeyoye lake while I was fishing for perch and calico's.  It was on the south end near the center, just into the swamp.  I had to release it, because the season was not yet open. 

The quantity of fish caught that morning was nothing special, but the sizes of four was very memorable.  I also caught and released a big largemouth bass.  I got a real big perch that morning, along with a slammer calico.  We ate those two, along with a dozen or so other "just barely keepers" of those species.

That was one day when I would have liked to have had a camera in the boat.  That was decades before smart phones, and I never worried about a camera, while panfishing.

Lake George... he was perch fishing and got it on an ultralight setup.  Same as this laker.

BE75A5CC-431F-4C65-AC8A-D50FDE59C026.png

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisw said:

I grew up fishing buck pond, love it up there. Sadly I haven't been back in years now.

I love fishing buck pond and under the trussle into rainbow lake. Buck pond for pike and bullhead and rainbow lake for walleye. Did you grow up up here?