Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

I know! I had 2 within 20 minutes and was almost hoping the third would take longer. Then I reeled in and stood there in the boat asking myself "what now?" I just headed out, home by 9. My DEC buddy was out yesterday and wrote several tickets for over the limit. I can see how people push their luck when the fishing is hot.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

It's weird but I have never had anyone check me while fishing on Oneida in my whole life.  Big water and not many officers to cover it.  If I ever kept over the limit though that would be the day I get checked for sure. So I would never risk it.  I've fished after catching the limit and throw back a couple or try to get some perch.  

But days you get them that quick it's almost anticlimactic. But nice to be home for breakfast. 

Getting them on blades? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

See if you can find online the major league fishing tournament there last year .  They crushed them on drop shots.   Hope tourney day isn't a windy one.  

We ran drops and neds, only 1 hit on a drop and it wasn’t either of these. 

it wasn’t all that windy yesterday and we were getting beat up in certain areas. How bad it is will depend on wind direction. Hopefully we get lucky and there isn’t any wind. 

35 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yup , once it gets warm I freeze 2 liters bottles of water and put them in the livewell.  All these were still flopping before I cleaned them.  

I've eaten all kinds of fish and bass are ok, have had them as a shore lunch many times, no fresher than that.  They are good but perch and walleye are my choice. 

Perch and walleye are a lot better than bass fried, because their flesh does not have much oil in it.  Bass have more oil in them, which makes them too greasy if fried. That fish oil is good for you, and it keeps them moist during bake, grill, or broiling cooking process.  I prefer those process, mostly because they are healthier.  Perch and walleye dry out too much when cooked that way.

I very rarely target walleye, but usually end up with a few accidental catches each year, in lake Erie and the St Lawrence river.  They are almost always over 5 pounds , and well beyond good eating size.  They taste ok if eaten fresh, but not so hot if they have been frozen, even if vacuum sealed.

By contrast, vacuum sealed 12-15" bass, that was twitching when filleted, tastes just as fresh a year later as it does the day it was caught.  A 6 pound vacuum sealed  lake Erie walleye tastes just like zoo plankton smells, after a month in the freezer.

Edited by wolc123

It's weird but I have never had anyone check me while fishing on Oneida in my whole life.  Big water and not many officers to cover it.  If I ever kept over the limit though that would be the day I get checked for sure. So I would never risk it.  I've fished after catching the limit and throw back a couple or try to get some perch.  
But days you get them that quick it's almost anticlimactic. But nice to be home for breakfast. 
Getting them on blades? 
Crawler harnesses at 1.1 mph for me, saw guys casting catch a few. I definitely did better than they did in the timeframe I was there though.

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Crawler harnesses at 1.1 mph for me, saw guys casting catch a few. I definitely did better than they did in the timeframe I was there though.

Lol.  That's exactly how I fish for them all the time.  .9-1.1 harnesses and bottom bouncers. 

Seems like Oneida fisherman are either harness or blade fisherman. 

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We ran drops and neds, only 1 hit on a drop and it wasn’t either of these. 

it wasn’t all that windy yesterday and we were getting beat up in certain areas. How bad it is will depend on wind direction. Hopefully we get lucky and there isn’t any wind. 

By July they should be stacked out on humps in the main lake, but even a  decent wind and thats a tough fish. Good luck. Look forward to hearing how it went. 

I used to fish tourneys but only did the ones on local smaller lakes as it seemed Everytime they had one on the great lakes the wind was too much for me to be out there. 

Loved the ones on Delta, the canal, canadarango.  

Ever fish one of the virtual tournaments,?  They seem like it would be fun.  4-5 guys and just fish wherever.  

• Like 1

By July they should be stacked out on humps in the main lake, but even a  decent wind and thats a tough fish. Good luck. Look forward to hearing how it went. 
I used to fish tourneys but only did the ones on local smaller lakes as it seemed Everytime they had one on the great lakes the wind was too much for me to be out there. 
Ever fish one of the virtual tournaments,?  They seem like it would be fun.  4-5 guys and just fish wherever.  

Ever run drift “trolling” bags? Makes trolling with a wind much easier! Tie the off your front cleats and it helps lock the front of your boat down and makes your boat much more stable in the waves!

I run 28” drift bags off the front of my boat when trolling for Lakers on lake George if there is a wind. I know you’re using a bow mount, I troll with a kicker and get down to 1mph with just the kicker but boat control is much better with the bags down when it gets bumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol.  That's exactly how I fish for them all the time.  .9-1.1 harnesses and bottom bouncers. 
Seems like Oneida fisherman are either harness or blade fisherman. 
I do both, I prefer to cast for them but the harnesses are just so effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Ever run drift “trolling” bags? Makes trolling with a wind much easier! Tie the off your front cleats and it helps lock the front of your boat down and makes your boat much more stable in the waves!

I run 28” drift bags off the front of my boat when trolling for Lakers on lake George if there is a wind. I know you’re using a bow mount, I troll with a kicker and get down to 1mph with just the kicker but boat control is much better with the bags down when it gets bumpy.

I haven't, but usually if it's real rough I'm not out there anyway.  And if it gets rough but not too bad I just drift with the wind. Did that Friday and never dropped the trolling motor and was still going .8 so it worked out. 

Hoping to hook one of those atlantics they stock put here one day but yet to see one. 

• Like 1

I trolled some crawler harnesses in the Oneida river last week and I looked over and my rod was doubled over, bouncing off the side of the boat, I'm surprised my rod holder/rod held up. I grabbed the rod and felt something thumping on there for about 3 seconds then the hook pulled. It was BIG whatever it was, I'm guessing a big cat or sturgeon. I'm still waiting for a sturgeon on Oneida. I've caught a brown trout out there, no Atlantic's yet though for me either.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I trolled some crawler harnesses in the Oneida river last week and I looked over and my rod was doubled over, bouncing off the side of the boat, I'm surprised my rod holder/rod held up. I grabbed the rod and felt something thumping on there for about 3 seconds then the hook pulled. It was BIG whatever it was, I'm guessing a big cat or sturgeon. I'm still waiting for a sturgeon on Oneida. I've caught a brown trout out there, no Atlantic's yet though for me either.

Was with a guy that got a 21" brown in the canal when we were casting .  I caught a 15-16 lb catfish a couple years ago on a harness off Lewis point, was a good fight. I haven't hooked a sturgeon yet either.  Seen a lot of them hooked in the canal in the spring though.  They sure put up a fight.  

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I’ve seen some stuff about them but haven’t done one yet. Keep forgetting to talk to my buddy and see if he’d like to do one. 

• Like 1

Another good morning. Made plans to take a guy from work out, after waiting for 30 minutes at the launch with no response from him I left, he responded at 1pm. His loss, he won't be getting another invite. IMG_20210601_134502528.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

Went out for a few hours mid day until the wind died completely. More walleyes. The pup loves the boat too. IMG_20210602_145247_950.jpgIMG_20210602_104650820.jpg

I gotta take more time me off to try to keep up with you this year!  Lol. 

Your getting use out of that new rig. 

• Like 1

Evan wanted to go out and do some bobber and worm fishing yesterday afternoon and evening, so we headed to Honeoye. We went to a couple of spots and hit some bluegills pretty good. Just a few minutes before it was time to head to the launch, he hooked into a pretty good largie, and had a good fight on ultralight tackle. 

E4BD8C1B-86E7-464A-A23B-8C2988FB8AA8.jpeg

• Like 8

Another good morning. Made plans to take a guy from work out, after waiting for 30 minutes at the launch with no response from him I left, he responded at 1pm. His loss, he won't be getting another invite. IMG_20210601_134502528.thumb.jpg.0bc1833550c1ae325f20405604fa19d6.jpg

Nothing worse than going out of your way to invite someone then getting ghosted by them. That’s why I fish alone 90% of the time!

• Like 1

Friends up from FLA, he’s a big fisherman , so I got my buddy Joe to take us out tomorrow. I’m not much of a fisherman, but I did take the occasion to buy a new watch, from Hook and Gaff , a sport fishing watch ,I can set the high and low tides !

I have one pole , I think you guys call them rods ? And three Mitchell 300, and 300a .

D606C5A8-6E95-4D7C-8B3B-8BA50FEEB096.jpeg

7B4631A5-2EE0-49E0-A357-EF36A184F536.jpeg

• Like 4

Ha fun day . My buddy who,lives on the bay took myself and a friend from FLA. out today , sunny and flat water , not the best conditions , but smallmouth everywhere ,saw dozens of them , problem is they wouldn’t hit anything . We got a couple small ones, perch and I got a crappie . 

We return to Joe’s dock, which is in about the best cove for fishing on the bay , a gal is fishing in some flat thing that you peddle with your feet . Joe tells her , “ there’s a nice sized one that lives in here ,” , she says ya it’s 4.42 pounds, i caught it a little bit ago “ . Wtf 

• Like 1

And Biz is helping to try and secure a big time deal with Truly Hard Seltzer!!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I’m a Beer guy first. Wine second. Hard seltzer is a distance 87th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro