Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Confish.thumb.jpg.1ae6d525a5470529631066524181e433.jpg

Had a good opening morning Saturday. Double limits for the son and I before 8:30am. Rob may recognize the background. Thanks for the tip bud!

That looks like some damn good eating right there.  Bass are way underappreciated as table fare.  I will take them over perch and walleye as long as they are baked, broiled, or grilled, and the fillets are still twitching when removed.  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 11:24 AM, crappyice said:

The auasabile wulf floats great and why it’s my primary fly for this type of fishing where the fly skitters(better than skips?) a cross the surface with very little disturbance to the surface. It was a technique taught to me by a guide on the ausable 20 years ago where most of the fishing is pockets of huge boulders.
I’ll cast the fly beyond where it want it. Heavily mend the fly line which will skitter the fly to the zone I want to hit (closer to me). It’s a mend that would absolutely blow up a calm stretch of stream with steady feeding trout but all bets are off when trying to get a 2-3 second clean drift in the right spot.
It’s also quite tiring…constant casting, mending, pick up and do it again. I’ll run the same fly through the same seam 10 times before being convinced no one is home or he’s smarter than me! Then I’ll move down to the next one…and come back later if I “know” a fish is there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I know what you mean. So, youre aiming further than youre actual intended target, then , as soon as it hits, you sort of mend and pull it to the sweet spot without flyline hitting the surface- is that right?

• Like 1

I think I know what you mean. So, youre aiming further than youre actual intended target, then , as soon as it hits, you sort of mend and pull it to the sweet spot without flyline hitting the surface- is that right?

Yup…exactly! And again some of the spot the fly line is in is ripping water so you can get away with some disturbance. The Neversink is an awesome river for this type of pocket fishing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

if they dont sell that in 72 hours the realitor should quit their job.  End of the road and the next 26 miles is all state land.  WOW.  Wish i had it brother....... Maybe Biz will jump on it or sodfather if they take bitcoin. 

Haha I don’t have $3.7M. But those look like tear downs and then build a new house and then sell for $15M?

My coworker got a fixer upper in Scarsdale for $4M. Taxes are $92K/year and it needs $2M worth of work to be livable. I think it’s 2 acres at most lol. Bonkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm headed to Keuka this afternoon with Handsome Howie and another fishing buddy...Hopefully the bluegills are still bedding...  Most years I would have fished it several times by now, but The Mermaid has been whipping me me pretty hard  !!......

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Haha I don’t have $3.7M. But those look like tear downs and then build a new house and then sell for $15M?

My coworker got a fixer upper in Scarsdale for $4M. Taxes are $92K/year and it needs $2M worth of work to be livable. I think it’s 2 acres at most lol. Bonkers

I would love to buy it.  Played the lotto for Tonite. 

The two houses there are really nice.  Central air, central vacuum, indoor vented grills, oak bars, .  One is three floors.  

The cabins I would hand a few out to family and friends and a couple for guests. 

Dare to dream...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'm headed to Keuka this afternoon with Handsome Howie and another fishing buddy...Hopefully the bluegills are still bedding...  Most years I would have fished it several times by now, but The Mermaid has been whipping me me pretty hard  !!......

Get em Dan.  Let's see pics of the take.

Slow day on the lake...Never even found any concentration of bluegills, but we managed about two dozen HUMONGOUS sunnies, plus a smallmouth and couple of big rockies, and some dink perch...Lovely afternoon on the lake nevertheless...

• Like 6

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Fished the upper Catt tonight, ridiculous amount of bugs coming off and not much eating them. Caddis and cahills. We only managed six fish between two of us but a couple were beautiful little wild browns

Film at 11…….?

On 6/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Northern took a small crayfish , few sheephead and smallies. Great day on Lake Erie 

931153C3-EDD1-401E-BADB-104E27605187.jpeg

A4278AC8-90A5-4F53-BAB4-B76467AEB518.jpeg

678C370B-452C-4E75-BF4A-A34BE0C1CD7E.jpeg

D5640430-59A6-40F2-A297-293DF50325AE.jpeg

F2FF9A5C-32C3-42E7-A644-D88DD294D192.jpeg

wish i could have gotten a measuring tape or scale on the pike. By far the biggest i've ever seen caught. But in our triple header pic you can see what toothy critter did to my buddies finger. One quick flip and caught a tooth. he bled like a stuck pig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

wish i could have gotten a measuring tape or scale on the pike. By far the biggest i've ever seen caught. But in our triple header pic you can see what toothy critter did to my buddies finger. One quick flip and caught a tooth. he bled like a stuck pig

They are a lot of fun.  The best part is the strike, usually much harder than a bass.  I used to fish for them a lot, in my younger days.  My biggest was a 40 incher, up in the St Lawrence, maybe 30 years ago.

My wife asked me stop to keeping them, about 15 years ago, when my brother in law choked on a bone from one.  They took him to the hospital in A-bay to try and remove it.   The trouble is, those pike bones don't show up on x-rays.  He spit it up at breakfast the next day, when he was eating an Orio cookie.

They are also fun on big red tail or golden shiners under a bobber.  There is the anticipation of wondering how big they might be when the bobber first goes down, and feeling how heavy they are when setting the hook.   I prefer the feel of the strike when they hammer a bucktail jig, tipped with a plastic shad tail bait or a perch minnow, and I am now way too cheap to buy pike-sized shiners.

We still get a fair number by accident, when throwing spinnerbaits or weedless jigs for largemouth, and sometimes even on crayfish imitating smallmouth jigs. They always get released now though, because the bones ain't worth dealing with, as long as you can get plenty of bass.

This was the big one that went for a big chartreuse willow leaf spinnerbait, in Lake of the Isles, back around 1990:

20210625_165048.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Northerns are delicious....Much tastier than bass, and I LIKE bass...You just have to learn to cut the Y bones out of them..There are many videos online  showing how it is done...

Pickerel are just as tasty as pike, but being smaller it is more difficult to take out the y bones and still have a big enough  filet to cook..

I have never caught a legal size musky, but a friend gave me one a few years ago...I removed the y bones and cooked it, and it was very good..Similar to pike...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Just have to tell everyone " He was as long as my leg!".   Nice day of fishing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Northerns are delicious....Much tastier than bass, and I LIKE bass...You just have to learn to cut the Y bones out of them..There are many videos online  showing how it is done...

Pickerel are just as tasty as pike, but being smaller it is more difficult to take out the y bones and still have a big enough  filet to cook..

I have never caught a legal size musky, but a friend gave me one a few years ago...I removed the y bones and cooked it, and it was very good..Similar to pike...

I remember pike being pretty good fried (similar to walleye), but I always liked bass better grilled, broiled or fried.  Bass also don't taste as good, if you let them die before you get the meat off of them.  A good livewell goes a long way towards making bass taste great.

For several years, there was a local guy up near Alex bay, who would clean my pike in exchange for the Y-bones .  Pickled Y-bones are quite the delicacy up there.  He would take off all the meat in one big slab and then use a straight razor to remove the parts with the Y-bones.  

I half learned a method that removed the meat from a pike in three pieces, but I often missed a few bones .  That, coupled with my preference for bass, has caused me to release all pike for quite a few years.

Personally, I am very thankful for all the folks who like eating walleye, perch bluegills, crappie, and pike more than bass.  That leaves more bass for me, and they are way more fun to catch, compared to those others.  Maybe just a little more fun than pike.

I have eaten a fair number of muskies.  They only had to be 30 inches long, for many years on the upper Niagara, and we took multiples above that size quite a few times.  I think they had to be 44 inches minimum, when I caught the 48 that I mounted.  That was about 20 years ago, and I have yet to catch a larger one.

We get a few in the upper 30's and lower 40's every year, usually on little 1/4 or 5/16 oz bucktail jigs.  There are a few drifts, where I know there is musky around, when the bass action slows down. On the afternoon when I got the 48, we had hooked smaller musky on the 5 previous drifts, on that stretch of river.  All but one 37 incher broke off our jigs on 8 pound mono.  

I had a heavy-action, bait cast outfit with 14 pound mono onboard.  I doubled the last 12", tied on a big 1/2 oz weedless jig with a huge rubber trailer.  The 48 hit that on the very next drift. During its first big run, we had to fire up the big motor to follow it around a bridge pier.  After that, it was clear sailing, all the way to the falls.  It took weeks for that smell to leave my boat.

Muskies are ok on the table, but I prefer the taste of pike.  It might be psychological, because the musky is a much smellier fish than the pike, especially in mid summer, when the water is real warm. 

I know muskies like eating smallmouth bass, because one ripped a 16ish incher off my line during a bass tournament a few years ago.  

Here's the smelly bastard:

20210625_200332.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

A few years back, it wasn't unusual for a couple of fishermen to catch 15-20   pike in a morning on Seneca Lake.... Our lures of choice were  3/8 oz  to 1/2 oz.  black  or dark brown bucktail jigs tied by yours truly and tipped with a 4" black ripple rind... I think the jigs  resembled the sculpins that the northerns were usually full of those days...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

A few years back, it wasn't unusual for a couple of fishermen to catch 15-20   pike in a morning on Seneca Lake.... Our lures of choice were  3/8 oz  to 1/2 oz.  black  or dark brown bucktail jigs tied by yours truly and tipped with a 4" black ripple rind... I think the jigs  resembled the sculpins that the northerns were usually full of those days...

I used to do that further west, on Silver lake quite often.  I usually tipped the jigs with tiny minnows, of the type that you could get a big scoop for 3 or 4 bucks.  The pike love those big black and white bucktail jigs.  I love the feel of a big pike smashing a jig.  There is no missing that, unlike a bass, which are often very subtle on their pickups. 

• Like 1