Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

Well not live from the water as it was pretty hectic on the boat but we spanked them on erie yesterday morning out of geneva ohio.

Worked all day Monday putting up another pole barn. Drove to geneva ohio Monday night arriving at the hotel at 130 am ( we had a 2 hr. Meeting in filmore NY on the way to ohio)
Up at 430 to get licenses,ice,food etc. At the dock by 615. We were supposed to be having a meeting with our everlast metal reps...lol.

We ran about 9 miles NW of the harbor in 2-3 foot side chop as we had a stiff sw wind. Turned the boat e/se and tried to set lines....tried as in we couldn't get 3 lines in for the first 2 hours and by 930 we were really about limited out. We saved our last 3 on the limit for bigger eyes and ended up with a couple bonus steelies.

We were back at the dock by 11 and sent the fish to be cleaned and headed to a local diner/bar for lunch and our meeting before heading back. Our 4 packed gallon bags of cleaned fillets and cheeks were delivered to the bar for us and we were back on the road by 3 and home by 7pm.

It was fun as I got to help set lines, hand off fishing rods,, net fish, and I even got to reel in 2 water filled pillow cases...I mean walleye.

ab93e00cc252c6f4144c99566bc1b2b7.jpgcd374bf80da844f9e6a22852d8555cfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

• Like 11

3 hours ago, reeltime said:

... and I even got to reel in 2 water filled pillow cases...I mean walleye.

That's as good of a description as i have heard of a big lake Erie walleye taken trolling with heavy tackle.  It has got to be tough, for a guy used to lake Ontario salmon, too get excited about that.  They are a lot more fun, when you catch them "by accident" on light tackle while targeting bass.

I also pefer eating bass, over big lake Erie walleyes, especially after they have been in the freezer for a while.  Even vacuum sealing doesn't seem to help with the big Erie walleyes.  I find thier flesh usually tastes like algae smells.  The warmer the water, the worse it gets.  If you get them early enough in the season, when the water temp is still below 70 and eat them fresh, they aren't too bad.

We landed 10 smallmouth total,  out on the upper Niagara river, before the rain this morning.  The problem was, 6 of them were 11 - 11-7/8 inches long, so they got to go back.   The 4 14 - 16 inch ones were not so fortunate.

We lost at least as many as we landed.  They are fighting a ton more now, in the 70 degree water, than they were out there on opening day, when it was 63.

I had to set up a fish cleaning station, under the porch of the pole barn, to stay out of the torrential downpours that struck after we got home.  At least I wont have to water the plants this evening.

20210708_154019.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 9

Fished piseco lake for three days mostly in the rain. Walked the whole shoreline(except where others where camping) tried all kinds of lures nothing but rockbass the two best lures where a small whopper plopper and original rapala floating minnow(fire tiger) I probably should’ve tried another lake but it looked so fishy I kept going back. If I do go back I’m bringing my fly rod those little rockbass would have been a blast on the fly rod.
f0b4a845f56dc21676b3431a1fbc5ea6.jpg
33ec45bcf121051f68feec2768b8f726.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Forgot to take pics but got into a few walleyes yesterday trolling crankbaits on Oneida. Picked up some downriggers I saw on Facebook marketplace on the way home. Gonna mount them today, also ordered tracks and a set of double rod trees. The fishing game got really expensive lately!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Forgot to take pics but got into a few walleyes yesterday trolling crankbaits on Oneida. Picked up some downriggers I saw on Facebook marketplace on the way home. Gonna mount them today, also ordered tracks and a set of double rod trees. The fishing game got really expensive lately!

Post pics when you get the boat all rigged up.

I'm in the process of purchasing this v-lock mounting system for my 18.5 open bow. These mounting plates will allow me to rig a board across the stern on the boat.... I can mount rod holders and riggers for trolling and easily remove it for a day of causing or tubing.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I had some 3/8" aluminum angles made up to the measurements I needed. Then I simply mocked up where I needed to drill holes, bought some 1/4x20 bolts, washers and nuts and slid it right into my Versatrack rail. I paid roughly $70 to make both brackets. Cheapest I could find for my boat was $100 each. Turned out pretty perfect. IMG_20210725_155745124.jpgIMG_20210725_155755150.jpgIMG_20210725_162801822.jpgIMG_20210725_162813763.jpg

• Like 3

Big day for the maiden voyage on the new tube. Lake Erie was a blow out so we went to Cassadaga lakes. What an awesome place and we had it basically to our selves. Talked with a few guys at the launch on the way out who were headed out to do some bass fishing. They mentioned there is usually a good chance to hook into a musky when pitching worms for bass. Can't wait to give it a try next time.

Anyone ever fish there....any good areas to target? 776e9cb0b3ef318c990c4826d89d35e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Also I forgot my wading shoes so I had flip flops on my waders lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beautiful Trout ! 

So in other words , you looked like a typical city slicker tourist  gone fishin LOL

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1