Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

We did well on the upper Niagara this morning, landing approximately 30 smallmouth bass and loosing about 6.  Half of them were "keepers" from 12-1/8" to 18", averaging about 15". 

We fished from 7:00 am until 10:30 am, catching them all on the bottom in 26 to 28 ft.  About 3/4 were on bucktail jigs and the others on ned rigs.

My wife and girls will have enough fish for the winter now (those from the upper Niagara river are safe for women and children to eat).  My buddies were kind enough to "donate" their 10 (ain't friends like that wonderfull).  They were happy just reeling them in and netting. 

I need a few more packs of Adirondack smallies for myself (only ok for men over 50 to eat).  It shouldn't be a problem securing that on Labor day weekend and during the early ML week this October.

20210822_152954.jpg

20210822_153014.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 5

Jack Crevalle
We also hooked into something big!!!! Fought it for about 7 minutes and it got tangled in some driftwood and broke itself off.   Im thinking it was a snook  

ECB7C204-0436-4B61-8CEA-C173862E651B.thumb.jpeg.8c870c80f9f88ea3ba1512676496dfc3.jpeg

Sunburn face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The smallmouth weren't hitting as good this year, up in the Adirondacks, as they were last Labor day weekend.  It took me a couple hours to get a limit of 12 - 17" keepers this morning, mostly on jigs.

Last year it took 5 minutes and 7 casts on a surface bait.  It was too windy for that this morning, bit I did get two keepers on one yesterday morning, when it was much calmer 

I just filleted 6 of them, which made 2 quart sized vacuum bags and should give me enough fish for the year, added to 10 packs of St Lawrence largemouth from last month.

My wife and kids fish supply (all upper Niagara smallmouth) is also secure, so I am cleared to start working on our red meat supply with my shotgun during the early antlerless season, at home in WMU 9F, next weekend.

This is a lot more fun than raising livestock or getting meat from the supermarket.

20210905_124346.jpg

• Like 3

I went out for a little bit of catch an release (aka: "senseless maiming), prior to out trip home today. I caught 4 smallmouth over 12" this morning and 2 shorts, this one (about 17" ) was the biggest.  They were only "tasting" the surface bait, but they were eating the 1/8 oz bucktail jigs.

20210906_102439.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

@Lomax.  Any salmon running up yet? 

Looks like a fun day anyway.

Saw some fish surfacing and a few on stringers.  We went to the hatchery but it was closed due to construction so I couldn’t see if the fish were heavy up there yet.  I would say they’re in the river spread out but not thick yet more towards the end of the month and based on rain and weather.   

15 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Saw some fish surfacing and a few on stringers.  We went to the hatchery but it was closed due to construction so I couldn’t see if the fish were heavy up there yet.  I would say they’re in the river spread out but not thick yet more towards the end of the month and based on rain and weather.   

This year the river should have a good flow with all the rain. As soon as it cools a.bit they will start running hard.  End of Sept should def be busy there. 

They're trickling into the estuary still. Was up there 2 days ago, they aren't staged up heavy near the mouth yet though. Most boats still fishing deep. We got a couple casting thundersticks, saw a fair amount of cohos jumping. There's a good amount of fish in the river now, certainly not loaded but fishable numbers for sure.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Had a great morning first cast bang smallmouth. Then I hit a spot with pickerel stacked up in it. After the sixth one I moved on. Picked away at the smallies left them biting. The wind was blowing and I had no jacket. I’ll be back at it tomorrow morning.
ca2fe405b0ea0b530eadfc6f5516dc86.jpg
0b8e9c3fba3b59f93aa5d57ebe4347ae.jpg
I took a bass home to try it was bad at all. My first time eating one.
f2f4fbbbce04d3a0ca51f5dd490cb099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10