Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

Glad I went fishing instead of hunting this afternoon they where on fire nothing big just good clean fun. I even caught a largemouth. The wind was blasting so it was fluke and a swim jig. Hopefully I can get back out tomorrow.
ff403faa74e5b735c246227568df98f6.jpg
95d24a785aa08bcf6b82152ecefc3293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Decided to take the boat out this AM, could be my last open water trip of the year. Can't beat a 5 cast walleye limit! I miss boat fishing already! IMG_20211020_132412697.jpgIMG_20211020_141338898.jpgIMG_20211020_132426811.jpg

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

My plan was to hit the canal this morn if I didn't get a deer last night. I figured they would be hitting.  5 casts you didn't even get the motor warmed up. 

Always a long winter once deer season is over. Looks like a great day out.

Guys are just tearing perch up out there now.  

• Like 1

Too windy for hunting this afternoon and afternoon deer action has been lacking anyhow.   I went out in search of the elusive 22” smallmouth for a couple hours.  No luck trolling (I took about 15 minutes to fabricate a rod holder), but got about a dozen on the old reliable 1/8 oz bucktail jigs.

All but 2 were hard fighting 12 to 14 inchers.  The lean 17 incher in the second pic didn’t fight as much as the smaller ones, but the stout 19 incher in the last pic might be the fight of the year for me.

She jumped three different times and made a few long runs, taking almost 10 minutes to boat on 6 pound line.   She still looked pretty healthy when I released her.  Maybe she will make 22 next year and earn a spot on the wall.  

I am going to try for a bigger one again tomorrow Friday and Saturday.  That might be it for the year unless it is warm on Thanksgiving weekend when I come up.

9C17486A-72C0-411B-81FC-9071B139B200.jpeg

A1FF5EC3-CFBC-43DB-BDD0-5DDEEFA40884.jpeg

7EBAA73C-2D44-4597-92F2-9AA1F8A7E882.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

Most likely my last fishing trip for this year. I tried fly fishing on a little creek but there was a bunch of guys canoeing in to hunt,so I went up to sacandaga lake caught one nice smallie and missed a pickerel. That’s a nice little lake I’m going to check it out next spring.
4273c6dde2a932d0e2518c44b60446dd.jpg

• Like 2

Got out for a day of perch fishing on Wednesday.  Filled a cooler, caught a few smallmouth, a skinny pike and an eel.  That was a first.  It didn't exactly fight hard, but it was heavy. Kinda wish I knew how to prepare one so I could give it a try.  Might be my last trip out, only because it's deer season and the weather is getting right.  Or I may see if I can fit in both.  We'll see.

KIMG0189.jpeg

KIMG0187.jpeg

KIMG0188.jpeg

• Like 6

I skipped the last afternoon deer hunt of early ML up north to go bass fishing again today.  I trolled 1-7/8 times around the lake with a small silver Hotintot, catching my biggest (18”) and smallest (12”) of 6 total (all released) for the afternoon. 

After catching the 18 incher, I went back to that spot with my 1/8 oz bucktail jigs and caught (2) 17 inchers, a 16” and a 15” on those, over the last 1/8 of the shoreline.  All the fish were in less than 5ft depth, and were still fighting hard, meaning the water must still be over 60 degrees. 

The average size is way up over the last few days, so the cooling temps is bringing the big ones closer to shore.  I plan on trying for that elusive 22 incher one last time tomorrow afternoon, even though that is opening day of gun season (I will hunt a few hours in the morning).  

What a difference a day makes in temps.  I only needed a t shirt yesterday, but three shirts    , a jacket and a face mask today.  

8AA6897F-0C88-4CD2-B4D6-749F987DE5E7.jpeg

2BBAE653-C947-419A-AAAF-BEE44D230DF7.jpeg

• Like 4

Got out for a day of perch fishing on Wednesday.  Filled a cooler, caught a few smallmouth, a skinny pike and an eel.  That was a first.  It didn't exactly fight hard, but it was heavy. Kinda wish I knew how to prepare one so I could give it a try.  Might be my last trip out, only because it's deer season and the weather is getting right.  Or I may see if I can fit in both.  We'll see.
KIMG0189.thumb.jpeg.690c20ec1a61b2ba78bb6e34e1748f8a.jpeg
KIMG0187.thumb.jpeg.06ceb40c623d554c6f492327cb16bf9d.jpeg
KIMG0188.thumb.jpeg.c96d8d2edb2497db4ac70d6fac92c5b1.jpeg

Skin the eel like a catfish pan fry in garlic and oil or smoked there awesome ether way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

KIMG0189.jpeg

KIMG0187.jpeg

KIMG0188.jpeg

I hate to admit it, but I cannot get myself to touch one of those things(eel).lol

Dont they call those eels hornpout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never heard the common eel called that before, I know in the ocean there are pout fish or conga eels. I’ve read that some eels never reach sexual maturity and stay in freshwater there whole lifetime and get pretty big. The best eating size are small like the ones used for striped bass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rachunter said:

I never heard the common eel called that before, I know in the ocean there are pout fish or conga eels. I’ve read that some eels never reach sexual maturity and stay in freshwater there whole lifetime and get pretty big. The best eating size are small like the ones used for striped bass.

Bullheads are called horned pout in parts of New England, hence the "horns"....  Never heard  common eels called anything put eels...  I have eaten them a few times, and they are quite good... No bones other than the ribs and spine, and a flavr similar to bullheads or small catfish...

• Like 3

I remember fishing for tataug at night and two guys showed up to dive for eels. They were scuba diving at night with lights off of Narragansett, i cant imagine anything scarier

I was fishing Muscoot Reservoir with my grandpa as a kid from shore under a bridge. I saw something coming to the surface that looked huge. A guy popped out. Full scuba gear, harpoon thing, and like 15 huge LM Bass around his belt. Way before the days of cell phones. He didn’t say anything to us, just walked to his car

• Like 1

I skipped the afternoon rifle hunt up north, to help my father in law nice some pine trees.  After that, I got out about one hour, for what will likely be my last bass fishing if the year.

No hits trolling most of the way around the lake.  I went back to the spot where they were hitting best yesterday and caught a 10 incher and this 16 incher on a jig.  I then lost that on a snag (8th one I lost total and that’s all I had), so I trolled back to the dock with no more bites.

Unless it is real warm on the weekend after Thanksgiving, this will be my last fish of the year:

580F3498-63D8-498F-BFDA-2FB188143C47.jpeg

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I remember fishing for tataug at night and two guys showed up to dive for eels. They were scuba diving at night with lights off of Narragansett, i cant imagine anything scarier

Obviously you have never dated a Rathbone girl......

• Like 1