Live From The Water 2021!!

The_Real_TCIII

45 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Any luck? I can never catch a damned thing off the beach lol

Caught one but it spit the hook before I could land it.  I’d guess 36 inches or so when it made a jump. Had one other bump but thats it.  Seen tons of whiting and some old timers looked like they were getting pompano. 

Edited by diplomat019
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Caught one but it spit the hook before I could land it.  I’d guess 36 inches or so when it made a jump. Had one other bump but thats it.  Seen tons of whiting and some old times looked like they were getting pompano. 

Last time I was in Florida caught a ton of whiting of the beach.  Didn't know they were whiting til afterwords and found out they wrote good to eat Had a blast though. We were using bait shrimp. 

Went to some other spots and some piers and had to ask what I just caught all the time.  No clue what most of them were.  I did know what snook looked like and sea trout.  But squirrel fish etc....had to keep asking people nearby.  What's this? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Last time I was in Florida caught a ton of whiting of the beach.  Didn't know they were whiting til afterwords and found out they wrote good to eat Had a blast though. We were using bait shrimp. 

Went to some other spots and some piers and had to ask what I just caught all the time.  No clue what most of them were.  I did know what snook looked like and sea trout.  But squirrel fish etc....had to keep asking people nearby.  What's this? Lol 

We catch so many different fish offshore that all look alike but have different names, especially all the different snapper. I always ask "ok how can this fish hurt me?"

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Never heard of squirrel fish lol.  

I think smoked whiting is popular.  Snook are catch and release till end of may if im correct due to the red tide. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We catch so many different fish offshore that all look alike but have different names, especially all the different snapper. I always ask "ok how can this fish hurt me?"

You said it.  There are a million different snapper.  They are fun to catch!

46 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Never heard of squirrel fish lol.  

I think smoked whiting is popular.  Snook are catch and release till end of may if im correct due to the red tide. 

i saw a bag of whiting in walmart before in the frozen section.  Made me laugh when i said hey i caught those! 

The squirrelfish were cool looking.   I went out on a charter boat for grouper while i was there and we were using them for bait.  Caught 100 times more fish from shore than on the charter - we got one small grouper and a couple of small flounder. 

heres a squirrel fish - Sand Perch - Florida eco travel guide

• Like 1

8dd4533457e35fabdf5226ab757aebbe.jpg127359f8bc313c9b1fa5004d24e5e0e2.jpg405a982b505329f3323a817097e4c169.jpg00537cccd5353b9b0b7aae798f863ca1.jpg

4/1/21: tried Amawalk Outlet for 25-30min today around 2pm. Casting a small panther Martin but no bites. Saw about 8 vehicles. Talked to 1 lady who caught a few browns. Found a bunch of suckers stacked up like cordwood. Got excited at first before getting a better look that they weren’t trout. Some of them were probably 24”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

2 oldest boys and I got out Saturday. Could see the rainbows stacked up in the darker pools but they wouldn't hit anything we threw at them. Then I see this guy with a fly rod "jigging" at the same hole I was in for a good 15 minutes. He reels in a real nice rainbow, takes a few pics and let it go.

A few minutes later as I worked towards him I asked what he got him on. Very nervously he replied that he was jigging. Now I'm no expert and I'm not saying he didn't jig a rainbow in at 4pm in the afternoon, but I'd bet a good chunk of change that the bastard snared him with a treble hook. These guys piss me off.

PS kids had a blast and it warmed my heart that my oldest said he loves to go fishing and it doesn't even matter if we catch anything. 

IMG_0412.thumb.jpeg.c80cebd2cc07b0e27ebe62acba99a502.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Easter Day steelheads :) Float , jigs and spinning reel :) 

E6D77608-87C6-403A-A781-1D9F6D5594BD.jpeg

congrats. be careful how you handle them around the lip and gil area unless you're going to eat them. They're super susceptible fish. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just a friendly reminder to all reading this.

here's a good site https://www.luckytacklebox.com/blogs/fishing-tips/8-tips-to-properly-handle-trout