Biden’s newest executive order , bans term China virus

27 minutes ago, rob-c said:

https://en-volve.com/2021/01/27/bidens-latest-executive-order-bans-the-use-of-the-term-china-virus/

So glad he’s using his executive order’s to better the country’s economy , jobs , income etc  ..... oh wait ..... 

Thats because the freakin creep is afraid China will cut his dividend and bonuses off.

• Like 4

The scientific convention for viruses has always been to use the virus name and country or location (eg Ebola Zaire, Ebola Sudan, Ebola Reston).  It is technically/scientifically incorrect to call it "China virus" as virus is non-specific.  It can and should be called Corona China or Corona Wuhan.  Further support of "Corona China or Corona Wuhan" is the existence of UK Strain, S. Africa Strain, etc.  

This is pandering at its best and highest level using an executive order.  This should have been CDC/Fauci making this point in press conferences to the MSM.

Joke:  How about an Executive Order that you can't refer to something as "You know, the thing"!?  

Edited by DoubleDose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, virgil said:

The term 'China Virus' is dumb.  Using the term 'China Virus' is dumb.  Banning the term, 'China Virus', is also dumb.

Agree.

Joke: How about an Executive Order that you can't say "C'mon man!"?  According to Pelosi, using "man" is not gender neutral, it is sexist, it is divisive, offensive, etc. 

Edited by DoubleDose
clarification

4 minutes ago, left field said:

It's politics 101 - take the failings of your candidate and accuse the other guy of them.

Like when someone on the Trump team says, "Biden has a little pee pee".

Yeah, sort of like both sides claiming that the other guy wears Depend's.  LOL

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You know where else your prohibited from saying things? China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

exactly who do you think biden works for biden family got 1.5 billion from china he only gets 400k for being president  he has a billion reasons to do things the china way  and please  them.

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Isn't it funny how Biden gets condemned for these traits while the same traits made Trump a hero to many?  Unbelievable!  People see only what they want to see.

You can look at both ways Trump was condemned by the left and some on the right encouraged it. Now the right condemns Biden doing it and some on the left are encouraging it. If people would look out of both left and right eyes they could see better.

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Isn't it funny how Biden gets condemned for these traits while the same traits made Trump a hero to many?  Unbelievable!  People see only what they want to see.

I see a guy that’s taking out American jobs as fast as he can put pen to paper . And this order is a wast of paper it is written on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

I see a guy that’s taking out American jobs as fast as he can put pen to paper . And this order is a wast of paper it is written on. 

I was only commenting on someone calling out Biden for being "petty and vindictive" which happen to be the exact same traits that made Trump a hero to many.  I was not referring to this executive order.

• Like 1

Okay, as a scientist, I like to fact check. The executive order is limited to federal agencies and public health documents and resources. It bans the use of non-specific terms like China virus (or kung flu, for example), that, while hysterical in my mind, have no place in the official policies of the USA. As is appropriate. Names matter. We don't refer to Richard as Dick in court proceedings. We don't substitute "ain't" for "is not" in official documents. And we call COVID-19 COVID-19. 

And a fact check of documents posted during the Trump era found zero incidence of using "China Virus" to describe COVID-19 in official public health documentation.

So, yeah, it's an executive order that addresses an issue that doesn't exist. But this small example is couched in the middle of a larger executive order that is intended to prevent the use of derogatory language in federal documents. I think we can all agree that there are some terms that don't belong there. Whether the order addresses any issues of substance are another thing, but in principle I think we can agree that it's a good idea not to insult the folks you're trying to govern. 

So...my take is that it is a waste of time, but a well-intended gesture. And it only applies to official federal documents, so you can still say Kung-flu in the office if you like without being afraid of being censured.

33 minutes ago, knehrke said:

so you can still say Kung-flu in the office if you like without being afraid of being censured.

Not according to the  diversity classes,I’ve sat through ,  it’s all in the eye of the offended  . One Chinaman doesn’t like that reference , you’re in trouble .

One video we had to watch ,had a white guy that asked a black co worker if he watched the game last night . Seems innocent enough , but no that was racist to assume the black guy was automatically a sports fan .

• Like 1