Biden’s newest executive order , bans term China virus

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

Okay, as a scientist, I like to fact check. The executive order is limited to federal agencies and public health documents and resources. It bans the use of non-specific terms like China virus (or kung flu, for example), that, while hysterical in my mind, have no place in the official policies of the USA. As is appropriate. Names matter. We don't refer to Richard as Dick in court proceedings. We don't substitute "ain't" for "is not" in official documents. And we call COVID-19 COVID-19. 

And a fact check of documents posted during the Trump era found zero incidence of using "China Virus" to describe COVID-19 in official public health documentation.

So, yeah, it's an executive order that addresses an issue that doesn't exist. But this small example is couched in the middle of a larger executive order that is intended to prevent the use of derogatory language in federal documents. I think we can all agree that there are some terms that don't belong there. Whether the order addresses any issues of substance are another thing, but in principle I think we can agree that it's a good idea not to insult the folks you're trying to govern. 

So...my take is that it is a waste of time, but a well-intended gesture. And it only applies to official federal documents, so you can still say Kung-flu in the office if you like without being afraid of being censured.

Seriously, dude. Thoughtful and reasoned investigation of the facts has no place on the internet. Reported!

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Not according to the  diversity classes,I’ve sat through ,  it’s all in the eye of the offended  . One Chinaman doesn’t like that reference , you’re in trouble .

One video we had to watch ,had a white guy that asked a black co worker if he watched the game last night . Seems innocent enough , but no that was racist to assume the black guy was automatically a sports fan .

Yes, it's all in the eye, more precisely sensitivities, of the offended.  In this instance, the offended person does not need to be a "Chinaman" (which is an offensive moniker), or chinese at all for that matter.  They just need to be offended by the language.   While we should not be using labels that are offensive,  this "offended my sensitivities" culture has been weaponized to hurt people under the guise of virtue.

• Like 4

I tossed in Chinaman , just for entertainment purposes.....

One great thing about the FD was everyone got along ,if you can do, the job that’s all that matters , and nobody is all touchy-feely about BS .

My retirement party was MC’d by a black guy , attended by black ,white ,male, female ,Hispanic, gay , straight and even a vegan . One of my favorite drinking partners is a bi racial, lesbian, just wish she’d not chew tobacco and spit  in a glass .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nomad said:

One great thing about the FD was everyone got along ,if you can do, the job that’s all that matters , and nobody is all touchy-feely about BS .

My retirement party was MC’d by a black guy , attended by black ,white ,male, female ,Hispanic, gay , straight and even a vegan . One of my favorite drinking partners is a bi racial, lesbian, just wish she’d not chew tobacco and spit  in a glass .

That's great.  In corporate America, you have folks regularly filing "offended" complaints with HR to destroy the careers of others; particularly those they see as obstacles to their advancement.    What's ironic is that these people do not realize that these frivolous and self-serving complaints do not go unforgotten.  Retaliation is expressly prohibited but when there is a reorganization and downsizing, these folks are somehow always on and high up on the release list.  When they are not let go, they cannot understand why they haven't been promoted or cannot get a position in another department.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

Where would you prefer she spit?

• Haha 1

I lament the good old days when you could go out as a lab, have a few beers, and not have to worry about every word you say potentially offending someone. But the pendulum has swung, and this is the fallout. Believe me, I get it. Even a comment regarding how we need to talk through our minor issues before they become major issues can cause offense, somehow. 

But I also recognize that  at 53 yr old, I'm a dinosaur, and I actually think it's important to try to appreciate other folks viewpoint, I don't want to cause offense inadvertently. Plus, I like my job. So it's dot the i's, cross the t's, by the book when it comes to my professional life.

This Biden executive order feels like more of the same to me. It only applies to official federal documents, and the intent is to reduce potentially offensive language. That seems at face value to be reasonable. But like most things, I suspect that it will be weaponized for political purposes, and that makes me sad.

What do they say about the road to hell being paved with good intentions?

• Like 2

Every person who has ever lived. Every time we "mansplain" something to our significant others, every time we lay down the law for our kids, or think that we know what's better for someone else than they do. Power simply magnifies the ability to exert control. It's human nature. And if we recognize the tendency in ourselves to dictate rather than discuss, to assume intractable positions, to demonize those who don't agree with us, and to harness righteous indignation - maybe we will have a fighting chance of beating our own nature.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I guess its safe to assume you dont like Trump, huh Virg?? lol 

May I ask why?

I don't disagree with all of his policies.  But, I hate the way he's turned Americans against each other.  I was sad to see that such an indecent person was elected, especially when all of his vulgar tendencies were well documented.  I can't stomach the way he puts loyalty to himself above all.  I believe that there is a certain level of dignified behavior and basic decency that is a prerequisite for any leader.  And, I don't think that Donald Trump has ever displayed those qualities- before or since entering politics.  As I mentioned, I could support many of the policies that his administration pushed.  But, I could never vote for such a vile person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

I don't disagree with all of his policies.  But, I hate the way he's turned Americans against each other.  I was sad to see that such an indecent person was elected, especially when all of his vulgar tendencies were well documented.  I can't stomach the way he puts loyalty to himself above all.  I believe that there is a certain level of dignified behavior and basic decency that is a prerequisite for any leader.  And, I don't think that Donald Trump has ever displayed those qualities- before or since entering politics.  As I mentioned, I could support many of the policies that his administration pushed.  But, I could never vote for such a vile person.

I dont disagree with your assertion that he demands loyalty from his underlings; that is very obvious IMHO.  Also, I would agree with your assessment that he comports himself in a rather crass and undignified manner.  But most divisive?? I respectfully diagree.  I found his predecessor to be far more divisive, to be honest

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

Nomad, I'm not saying you're a racist and having read many of your comments over the years I am pretty sure you're not a racist.  I just wanted to point this out to those that might need to hear it.  Being associated with does not mean you view other race and ethnicities equally.

A. Daughter comes home and says "Dad, this is my best friend, Tyrone."

B. Daughter comes home and says "Dad, this is my fiancé, Tyrone."

There are some people who would be proud of if their daughters said A and would flip out if their daughters said B.

• Like 1

Maybe in 1980 that would be true; not so much today, I would think.  You dont believe that The sentiments--and subsequent reaction-- youre suggesting from your example are  exclusive to white people, right? When I was in the army, I hooked up with a black chick one night and next day , went over to see her at her brothers barracks.  He was standing there with a couple of his friends when I walked in, and refused to shake my hand or talk  to me--same with his friends.  Back in the day,  it was a common reaction from ALL races, trust me. But I dont think its as prevalent today-- non-existent? No, but far less common for sure.

20 hours ago, knehrke said:

Okay, as a scientist, I like to fact check. The executive order is limited to federal agencies and public health documents and resources. It bans the use of non-specific terms like China virus (or kung flu, for example), that, while hysterical in my mind, have no place in the official policies of the USA. As is appropriate. Names matter. We don't refer to Richard as Dick in court proceedings. We don't substitute "ain't" for "is not" in official documents. And we call COVID-19 COVID-19. 

And a fact check of documents posted during the Trump era found zero incidence of using "China Virus" to describe COVID-19 in official public health documentation.

So, yeah, it's an executive order that addresses an issue that doesn't exist. But this small example is couched in the middle of a larger executive order that is intended to prevent the use of derogatory language in federal documents. I think we can all agree that there are some terms that don't belong there. Whether the order addresses any issues of substance are another thing, but in principle I think we can agree that it's a good idea not to insult the folks you're trying to govern. 

So...my take is that it is a waste of time, but a well-intended gesture. And it only applies to official federal documents, so you can still say Kung-flu in the office if you like without being afraid of being censured.

Seriously, dude. Thoughtful and reasoned investigation of the facts has no place on the internet. Reported!

6 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Maybe in 1980 that would be true; not so much today, I would think.  You dont believe that The sentiments--and subsequent reaction-- youre suggesting from your example are  exclusive to white people, right? When I was in the army, I hooked up with a black chick one night and next day , went over to see her at her brothers barracks.  He was standing there with a couple of his friends when I walked in, and refused to shake my hand or talk  to me--same with his friends.  Back in the day,  it was a common reaction from ALL races, trust me. But I dont think its as prevalent today-- non-existent? No, but far less common for sure.

Not for nothing, but if you banged my little sister and then came over the next day to chat me up, I might not jump at the opportunity.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, knehrke said:

Ok, this is the first time I have heard it referred to as Kung-Flu. I may behind the times but I chuckled a bit. 

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Yes, with all races.  Happens a lot still.  A lot less than back in the day for sure but still happens a lot.  They also tend to cover it up more because everyone is aware now that it might not be PC.  In the beginning when I eventually married out of my own race, even my own mother not very accepting of it and would ask me to reconsider behind closed doors but publicly she embraced her.