Online Archery course approved indefinitely

mowin

5 hours ago, mowin said:

The issues I have are i personally know several who's "wives" have taken the course, but the husband took the course for them so he could use her tags. The wives have zero interest in hunting and never would have sat through a course.   Also know several kids who want to hunt, but dad took it because he believes he can teach them better, and kids has better things to do.  In some cases, the dad probably can, but not necessarily.  

My niece is going to take the online course. She asked me if I would sit with her, and I said yes. But I also told her, I'll steer her in the right direction, but will not give her the answer.  

I had my wife take the course at our local Sportsmens Club - https://www.rcsportsmensclub.org/ 

She asked me to sit with her and help her but I declined because I wanted her to learn as much as she could without listening to me , the Instructor had her fire a Black Powder gun and a couple rounds of .22 , she was thrilled to no end when she received a 100 on her test ! And yeah I've been hearing about it ever since , but she did it on her own !

• Like 4

I'm an educator by profession, and firmly believe no on line course can compare to an in-person experience if it is a quality course and available. Unfortunately I know there was/is a lack of hunter education courses, and judging by everyone's comments, some lack of quality as well.

I took the bow course last summer to be ready in case crossbows get full inclusion. It was merely something for me to check off-can't say I learned anything but I took it as an adult who has shot over 70 deer in my life and have been hunting over 40 years. I took a traditional classroom/shooting range course 43 years ago and learned much from that-I don't think any on-line course could compare.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, steve863 said:

This is absolutely true.  I would bet the majority of the time the online course was taken was to get the extra tags for someone else and not because that person really wants to hunt.  I don't think this matters to the DEC one bit.  They are making more money with the online course and with the more licenses that will get sold so all is fine in their eyes.

Hence why mandatory check stations and mail in of unused tags should be law.  I know of so many that fill others tags and reporting none.  No way DEC even has a clue to the true numbers of deer out there. Dead or Alive. 

40 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Hence why mandatory check stations and mail in of unused tags should be law.  I know of so many that fill others tags and reporting none.  No way DEC even has a clue to the true numbers of deer out there. Dead or Alive. 

So true.  But realistically,  if someone sends in unused tags, will they be checked to see if there freezer is full?  If those tags are called in will DEC follow up to see if Mrs Jones really did shoot that deer?  Nope, it would cost too much to implement that procedure, and thus, sadly, never happen.  

10 hours ago, mowin said:

So true.  But realistically,  if someone sends in unused tags, will they be checked to see if there freezer is full?  If those tags are called in will DEC follow up to see if Mrs Jones really did shoot that deer?  Nope, it would cost too much to implement that procedure, and thus, sadly, never happen.  

True but would help with the using of others tags. Just as there should be the mandatory taking of a doe before any bucks In the areas they think needed but either way it’s just an uneducated guess by dec in Ny when it comes to deer populations.  

I think it is good that different options are available for people to get the safety course complete. With all of us having different schedules in our lives, it will allow people to get the course, and put more hunters in the woods.

We need more sportsman in this world to protect our right to hunt. If numbers decline, the sport of hunting may not be available for future generations. 

As someone who likes the online courses for my kids (knowing that they will not be actually hunting before they are ready- and that will be with a ton of training from me and my hunting friends) I also just sent my mail-in trapping course.

I will say There is NO WAY I should be allowed to trap alone right now when I get my trapping license mailed back. I am getting my license now to take advantage of the mail-In opportunity but will not trap until I find a mentor to follow/watch (and when I have time and land trap...details!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As someone who likes the online courses for my kids (knowing that they will not be actually hunting before they are ready- and that will be with a ton of training from me and my hunting friends) I also just sent my mail-in trapping course.

I will say There is NO WAY I should be allowed to trap alone right now when I get my trapping license mailed back. I am getting my license now to take advantage of the mail-In opportunity but will not trap until I find a mentor to follow/watch (and when I have time and land trap...details!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am waiting on my trapping license as well and agree with you 100%! I feel like I have the general knowledge to trap a coon, dispatch it properly, but it all goes down hill from there. If it comes to fruition this year with a successful catch I will be leaning on@Dinorocks big time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk