H.R. 127 gun law text released

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

My answer is it's over the top. But your scenario is as unlikely as me winning the lottery. That would mean no hunting for anyone unless you use your bare hands.

I dont know why you assume a psych eval would be a way to confiscate all guns. If you are not crazy you should be fine. You paint the worst scenario that evryone will be deemed unstable. 

Obviously some guns ended up in unstable peoples hands. How do you suggest that could be prevented?

My issue is who is the determining force in this and the view that someone with a history of drug or alcohol dependency would be ineligible to own a firearm ever. This is a right and there should be due process to take that right away. Not because an Ex-spouse wants to screw with you.

• Like 2

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My issue is who is the determining force in this and the view that someone with a history of drug or alcohol dependency would be ineligible to own a firearm ever. This is a right and there should be due process to take that right away. Not because an Ex-spouse wants to screw with you.

Any law can be abused. I would hope that there is some scrutiny when it comes to allegations being made.

A friend of mine actually went through that

His ex wife said she felt threatened when she left him and the cops showed up to grab all his guns. That was a bs move on her part. He would never hurt her. It was weird for him to say the least but he got them all back a few months later. Like i said,there is abuse with every law. Same thing with welfare,it is a decent concept but people play the system. Does it mean it should be abolished entirely? I dont think so.

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the vote on the Federal assault weapons ban of 94

That was actually  52–48 vote in 1994

I was referring to the RINOs who is the last call switched and voted with Dems. I feel boiling the frog metaphor fits very well here.

Slowly the population keeps giving away its right till one day the generations wake up not knowing any better or different.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

30 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

My answer is it's over the top. But your scenario is as unlikely as me winning the lottery. That would mean no hunting for anyone unless you use your bare hands.

I dont know why you assume a psych eval would be a way to confiscate all guns. If you are not crazy you should be fine. You paint the worst scenario that evryone will be deemed unstable. 

Obviously some guns ended up in unstable peoples hands. How do you suggest that could be prevented?

Well I agree with you that it’s over the top , but here we are looking at a over the top bill in black and white and neither you or I have won  the lottery  . And with you saying your almost 50 I sincerely hope your not so naive to think that a persons own personal view  wouldn’t come into play when they are making a decision on other people’s rights or beliefs  . You saying I don’t  know why you assume a psych eval would be a way to confiscate all guns. If you are not crazy you should be fine. Well the key words in your sentence ( you should be fine ) in other words keep your fingers crossed . 

As for keeping other people from hurting others , how about we enforce the laws we have and not let criminals  out of jail on bail reform to commit crimes over and over. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I said it before and will say it again. I dont care about guns..I dont think about them and dont need them. People can have guns,i dont have a problem with that. The bill seems over the top,but i dont have a dog in this fight. 

I wouldn't feel my rights have been infringed upon because i dont care about the 2nd amendment. But that is my point of view and i am not forcing that on others.

You dont care about the 2nd Amendment? I am very saddened to hear that, really.  Well ,that is unfortunate; maybe someday they will even come for your bow too .

Any law can be abused. I would hope that there is some scrutiny when it comes to allegations being made.

His ex wife said she felt threatened when she left him and the cops showed up to grab all his guns. That was a bs move on her part. He would never hurt her. It was weird for him to say the least but he got them all back a few months later. Like i said,there is abuse with every law. Same thing with welfare,it is a decent concept but people play the system. Does it mean it should be abolished entirely? I dont think so.

Me too, almost exactly the same ; based on my own personal history and experience, my gut tells me that this law would be abused in a similar manner.

First this is an infringement of his rights, based solely on an accusation.  Second, if she feels threatened she needs a restraining order and/or a gun, he is the threat not his guns.  Typical illogical government reaction to guns and the mentality "If this saves one life it is worth it!"  What IF it costs one.  He no longer has a means to defend himself because the government disarmed him, but that is okay.

This is my advice to anyone in this situation.  Photograph all your weapons and their serial #s.  Ensure the police give you a list of everything confiscated (Make/Model/Serial#) to ensure return of all; and politely & respectfully cooperate.  After they have left, go to your nearest guns store and treat yourself to another gun!

Appreciate all your guns are now in a computerized police report/database which is tantamount to registration!!!!!!

Edited by DoubleDose

25 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

This is my advice to anyone in this situation.  Photograph all your weapons and their serial #s.  Ensure the police give you a list of everything confiscated (Make/Model/Serial#) to ensure return of all; and politely & respectfully cooperate.  After they have left, go to your nearest guns store and treat yourself to another gun!

If all mine hadn't fallen overboard in that boating accident I had out in the middle of Ontario, I would heed your advise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If all mine hadn't fallen overboard in that boating accident I had out in the middle of Ontario, I would heed your advise. 

Yeh sadly I couldnt afford any more guns when I lost my only shotgun in Conesus lake while duck hunting.

Now I only bow hunt deer.