Florida...no thanks.

Robhuntandfish

I watch that show, but like all reality shows, well  it’s a show . They do hire snake hunters and the pay can be good , but you don’t catch them with your hands like on the show, they  shoot them .

I read about one guy who carries a 12ga, 9mm and .22mag, plus big knives ....

Fun show though .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 4

Having spent a number of my younger years living in Florida and SC, I got used to the snakes and gators. Actually found them to be quite interesting. Just took them all in stride while hunting and fishing. But never did adjust to all the darn bugs down there!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I hope the authorities  get get a handle on the Python  problem.  Open up their wallets more and hire more local expert hunters who know their areas better then anyone.

The areas where the pythons are include vast expanses of uninhabited swamp including the Everglades. You could have the entire US Army there hunting pythons and it wouldn't eradicate them. Hunting is not going to get it done. That being said I agree with you that they need to get a better handle on it. As the pythons move North they will leave that habitat and be more vulnerable to hunting. I Winter in central Florida about 4 hours North of the Pythons. I don't think they will do to well this far North, we have had 5 frosts already this year.

• Like 2

I went to visit my folks in Florida years back.  Took a fishpole of course. The lake they lived on had bass so figured I would try it. Got my pole and they said "just keep an eye out, there are Gators in there.".  So walk over a little knoll behind their house and here dives two big Gators into the lake....nope. no fishing .  

Did have a great time fishing the ocean beaches there though. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

"Central Florida" means different things to different people. Kinda like some people think Westchester county is upstate NY. This article appeared in the Miami Herald. They believe anything North of them is "central" Florida or "Northern" Florida. Most folks in Orlando think that they live in central Florida, Zolfo Springs is about an hour South of there.........