Lonesome dove

Red

Any lonesome dove fans?  Me and my 11 year old are relaxing watching lonesome dove.

While he's doing his online hunter safety course. I would much rather be sitting in a real class with him doing the course but it is nice knowing that it will be done.  He wants to go and shoot some red squirrels on his bday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Not many new good westerns out there anymore.  Last good one I think I've seen was Open Range.  

I was pronghorn hunting in Douglas WY when Open Range was playing on the local theater...My buddies and I had tagged out and decided to go to the movies....It was  Tuesday night, but the local theater was packed with locals...What a hoot, sitting in the theater with all those locals, who were hooting and hollering and loving the movie that was filmed in their back yard...

• Like 2

Lonesome Dove probably gave Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall their most defining characters. Of course, they had over eight hours to develop them as opposed to two hours. LD is one of the very few books I read more than once, and will very likely read again. Too bad they couldnt have stayed with the original cast with the sequels (of course Gus dies, and has to die for the story to complete),  James Garner was very good as Call in the 3rd movie. None of the books or the movie ever really do tag a year for it though...I think McMurtry was just trying to capture an era, not a specific time.

McMurtry was very clear in his stating that both Gus and Call were not and were not based, on real people, but as so much of our history is, an accumulation. I for one like to believe that we had such men ...and via the silver screen, we do.

33 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wasn't this movie planned to be made with John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart first?  It just never happened.... Not that I wouldn't have like to see it with those guys but it was great with Duval and Jones. 

I suspect that may be urban legend, Rob....The Duke died in 1979 and the LD series wasn't filmed un til the 1990's...

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I suspect that may be urban legend, Rob....The Duke died in 1979 and the LD series wasn't filmed un til the 1990's...

31 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

And the book wasnt even published until 1985....six years after The Dukes death...

This is what I saw about it. Guess it was a screenplay before a book.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonesome_Dove_(miniseries)