Be careful Duck Hunting!

mlammerhirt

This illustrates the pure insanity that an extremely low percentage of hunters possess while out hunting. There is no animal or bird worth even getting into an argument over, much less losing your life. When I was a young man I ran into this situation a couple of times while hunting public land and I backed down and walked off when someone wanted to challenge me. That is my recommendation to anyone else who is unfortunate enough to have some idiot challenge them. Walk away and hunt another day. I am fortunate to now own my own property and avoid this type of nonsense. This gives hunting a black eye and empowers the anti hunters. Be considerate to other hunters and stay safe.        valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 5

Well, it's only conjecture until an eye witness comes forward.

Seems to be murder, plain and simple.

At approximately 9:00 am, a boat approaches their blind, and that was the suspect, David Vowell. Mr. Vowell asked them if he could hunt out of that blind. They said ‘yes.’ He started getting his gear together. A few seconds after that, the gun went off, and Mr. Grooms was shot,” Thomas said. “Just a few seconds after he arrived and asked if he could use the blind, and they said yes, and that’s when the survivor noticed him loading his gun, turned around and heard the gunshot, and he thought it was an accident.”

After the second hunter was shot, Crabtree wrestled the gun from Vowell and knocked him into the lake. Crabtree then boated away from the scene to seek help. The last time Crabtree saw Vowell, the suspect was in waist-deep water, walking towards the bank.

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Duck hunters are world renowned assholes. And I say this as a duck hunter. Go on A waterfowler forum they probably have a go fund me for this guys defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I respectfully disagree. My encounters with idiots in my younger days was exclusively with other deer hunters. I post on the waterfowl hunting forum and haven't seen any issues. As far as a defense fund for the murderer, he is dead and there will be no defense for him. Unfortunately idiots exist in all types of hunting as is the case with any sport.        valoroutdoors.com 

They guy who allegedly murdered the two young men is dead.  I haven't heard what he died from, but I'll bet it was a gunshot wound.  The eyewitness statement seems a little weird to me.  I think there is more to this story than he says happened.  But since he's the only one left alive, we may never know.

Sad, but its not only duck hunting deer hunting and even fishing we all got horror stories .What grouse was talking about is a perfect example it was in wisconsin a few yrs ago .A Hmong immigrant was on pvt property in some ones tree stand a guy confronts him [more than likely screaming HEY HEY HEY !!! get the %$#@ outta here] well the guy shoots him another guy comes he shoots him for a total of 6. See most foreigners have no concept of prvt land ownership and care about game laws . never ever confront them.I'm not making this a rant about immigrants but about how things escalate . People fighting over fish ,deer and spots and a right to be in a certain place [hey this is my spot hey thats my stand ] especially when money and egos are involved . There was a video on f/b a guy walking his dog under the whitestone bridge and he looked like a self righteous ahole confronting guys fishing for stripers and video taping the whole thing well a video is not going to keep you from getting your a@# kicked or shot all it will do is prove you right but your dead so what good is it. Years ago im on a party boat fishing for cod and this guy is going around finding out whos in the pool, i didnt put money in cause i knew it was fixed .The guy kept bugging me to go in the pool i told him listen i took off today to get some salt air in my lungs and maybe get some fish if i wanted to fight w/ people over money i would have went to work today. One thing the most important  when we are fishing and hunting is to act like sportsman/women and understand our actions reflect on our sport as a whole. Being from the city i have seen many times guys acting like jerks upstate and locals resentful against us  . Im always am polite even when i was called an ahole cause the other person thought they were right.

• Like 2

Something about the survivors account seems improbable to me.  A 70 year old man boats up to a blind with strangers in it.  He asks if he can hunt in that blind and they say "Yes".  Blinds on Reelfoot lake are highly prized and protected. Then with no motive, shoots two of them.  Then the third guy is able to take his gun without getting shot?  Then pushes the man in the lake and motors away to get help?  Nobody had a cell phone?

If he had the guy's gun, why didn't he help the wounded right there?  Why didn't he hold the guy for the police?  A few things about the witness account don't seem to follow normal human reactions to this type of incident.

Something about the survivors account seems improbable to me.  A 70 year old man boats up to a blind with strangers in it.  He asks if he can hunt in that blind and they say "Yes".  Blinds on Reelfoot lake are highly prized and protected. Then with no motive, shoots two of them.  Then the third guy is able to take his gun without getting shot?  Then pushes the man in the lake and motors away to get help?  Nobody had a cell phone?
If he had the guy's gun, why didn't he help the wounded right there?  Why didn't he hold the guy for the police?  A few things about the witness account don't seem to follow normal human reactions to this type of incident.
Agree with you 100%....this story is far from over.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Did they not find the body of the 70 yr old suspect floating dead recently? I agree it all seems a bit strange.

Hunting Braddocks Bay maybe 20 years ago by myself out of a small john boat, I had a guy motor up to me and start a dispute over where I was hunting. I'd already set up my decoys, and it was approaching first light, on public land, so after my initial explanation and invite to hunt together were rebuffed, I ignored him. To my surprise, he proceeded to run him boat ONTO mine. I was literally starting to sink, being pushed under as he revved his engine. Anyway, I finally got him to back off by telling him that I knew who he was and where he lived (I didn't). Luckily, I got the boat onto shore and was able to drain it without further incident. But the confrontation could have turned South easily - I legitimately felt like my life was in danger, and there was no path to just walk away.

Being that it all happened without witnesses, I was left without recourse, and shortly thereafter stopped hunting the bay. Life goes on, I suppose. Until it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They did find the 70 year old guy dead, but nothing about the cause of his death yet.  Why did he try to run off in the swamp?  The witness took off in a boat, but there must've been another boat.  What happened to the 2nd boat?  Why didn't the old guy take the boat to get away?

And now you know, why I carry a handgun bowhunting , or anytime I’m in the woods , ok anytime I have clothes on .

That and a guy bought a house with a lot of land behind my in-laws old place , our land adjoined his,so I stopped by to introduce myself , he showed me his wall of big heads and told me that’s all he’s interested in. Then he proceeded to tell me “ you guys gotta stop driving deer and shooting young bucks . “

It didn’t take me long to figure out who the new poacher was in the area . Soon he was at war with other hunters and landowners, chasing people with a shotgun, or a shovel raised up over his head . My wife’s nephew and town attorney lived near him , he told me he was running around the woods naked with a knife as well . I’m somewhat surprised he didn’t end up in the swamp behind his land .

He’s since moved away, and I’ve been told he’s on meds now , yet when I go down to swap SD cards in a bit I’ll have my Semi auto 22 rifle with 17 rounds and a 9mm handgun .

Edited by Nomad

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

And now you know, why I carry a handgun bowhunting , or anytime I’m in the woods , ok anytime I have clothes on .

That and a guy bought a house with a lot of land behind my in-laws old place , our land adjoined his,so I stopped by to introduce myself , he showed me his wall of big heads and told me that’s all he’s interested in. Then he proceeded to tell me “ you guys gotta stop driving deer and shooting young bucks . “

It didn’t take me long to figure out who the new poacher was in the area . Soon he was at war with other hunters and landowners, chasing people with a shotgun, or a shovel raised up over his head . My wife’s nephew and town attorney lived near him , he told me he was running around the woods naked with a knife as well . I’m somewhat surprised he didn’t end up in the swamp behind his land .

He’s since moved away, and I’ve been told he’s on meds now , yet when I go down to swap SD cards in a bit I’ll have my Semi auto 22 rifle with 17 rounds and a 9mm handgun .

Did he sell the land yet? lol