What do I guys do for ammo storage

luberhill

I purchased an inexpensive Stack On gun cabinet (on sale) from tractor supply. It has a divider in it. Keep my ammo cans in there. I do recommend you buy from in store stock, and open it in the parking lot before you load it. The first one we opened had a big dent in the floor. Box looked great, but the floor was a dome!! 

I added some simple wood shelves to the interior, so I can have the ammo separated and not unload the entire cabinet to reach something on the bottom. I keep saying I'm going to do something about a dehumidifier or heater for the ammo not in storage boxes. But never made it to that point.

The weapons are in a different Stack On. 

Edited by Meatball

1 minute ago, Meatball said:

I purchased an inexpensive Stack On gun cabinet (on sale) from tractor supply. It has a divider in it. Keep my ammo cans in there. I do recommend you buy from in store stock, and open it in the parking lot before you load it. The first one we opened had a big dent in the floor. Box looked great, but the floor was a dome!! 

I added some simple wood shelves to the interior, so I can have the ammo separated and not unload the entire cabinet to reach something on the bottom. I keep saying I'm going to do something about a dehumidifier or heater for the ammo not in storage boxes. But never made it to that point.

The weapons are in a different Stack On. 

I just use a sour cream container with calcium chloride in it

sucks up all the moisture  

• Thanks 1

I bought a pretty big tool box, with rubber gasket from Lowe’s . I have a few ammo cans , sometimes when your order ,larger amounts they come in an ammo can .

My ammo is in a room in the basement, for the most part 

I have an old army footlocker which holds my excess/seldom used ammo (mainly shotgun shells, reloads). I have a metal filing cabinet which holds most of my reloading equipment, and my more current loads/frequently shot ammo is in that. Any dry area away from excess heat and humidity is fine. 

If one is a bit handy, it's easy to build a fire rated closet for gun or ammo storage.

On commercial construction renovations fire rated metal jamb and door combos typically 1 1/2 hr rated get tossed all the time. A commercial door supplier often has miss orders around the warehouse too.

A couple layers of 5/8 fire rated rock inside and out ( dont forget the ceiling and floor) and you have more room then a safe.

One similar closet holds ammo for me, and a second closet built with some more security in mind holds a safe or two with in.

The gun section requires the  safe style door, welded jamb and some wall to be removed to take out the safes, so no one can take the whole box. Walls are block and reinforced, covered in fire rated rock 2 layers, poured ceiling on CMD,  radiant concrete floor keeps it dry, but have a dehumidifier that maybe runs a week a year total. Depends how many times I access and air changes during the summer. Its painted with a rubber membrane outside for moisture proof. It's a closet built within the structure.

I figure with the skidsteer and a demo hammer it would take a few hours to get any meaningful access. Theives just dont hang that long. They can have any of the other crap laying around. Tools are a online order away. Fire and resulting water are my immediate concerns.

• Like 3

I know a guy who when he built his house put a “ room “ under his garage . Ten inch poured reinforced concert walls , safe door , and steel ceiling . The safe door is hidden  behind a false wall in the basement , that was the insistence of his wife , as the easiest way for a bad guy to open your safe is a gun to your head .

He has walls , of Ak,AR, Thomson’s , UZI and of course a Barrett 50 cal .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have it everywhere. Stacked in 3 of my closets. Some is in a locking metal cabinet. If my house catches fire, stay the hell back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know that ammo doesn’t “ go off “ in a fire , the only risk is any in a guns chamber , physics and all . 

I can only recall one fire we had where there was mass quantities of ammo, guy was a reloader had a room of reloading equipment and bench of shells . He tried to run back in to save his cat .... my Irons man tackled him .

Anyways out of an abundance of caution, or perhaps not knowing better the BC ordered everyone out and behind the Trucks , then wanted one company only to go knock it down, I couldn’t raise my hand fast enough .

You know that ammo doesn’t “ go off “ in a fire , the only risk is any in a guns chamber , physics and all . 

I can only recall one fire we had where there was mass quantities of ammo, guy was a reloader had a room of reloading equipment and bench of shells . He tried to run back in to save his cat .... my Irons man tackled him .
Anyways out of an abundance of caution, or perhaps not knowing better the BC ordered everyone out and behind the Trucks , then wanted one company only to go knock it down, I couldn’t raise my hand fast enough .

I know, I was joking. I have saw ammo cook off in truck fires over seas. Not dangerous but exciting for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk