HEY how about a CROSSBOW topic section???

sits in trees

we have sections for trailcams, taxidermy, muzzle loaders, and even game recipes/cooking???

crossbows are now a legal tool to harvest deer with in NY state and i think we should have a section for them that hunters can go to just to talk crossbows.

everytime we start any kind of crossbow discussion it isnt long before the likes of DOC, and GROWSALOT not to mention others comes in with their opinions and hijacks the thread with their reasons why crossbows are evil and will kill pewople or whatever the heck, and the bashing begins???

it seems to me there is a genuine interest in crossbow education on this site and i see hunters wanting to know and gain knowledge on how to safely handle a crossbow.

i mean we have guys asking on how to cock a crossbow in a treestand?? so maybe before some poor hunter ends up castrating himself 20 ft up a tree we should have a forum dedicted to the use and shooting, tuning, arrow types, broadheads, etc, etc....

i would be more than happy to assist in answering questions regarding crossbows and have a couple years of experiance hunting deer with a crossbow already in PA under my belt.

maybe the mods could even make an effort to keep and eye on this section in regards to keeping on topic and preventing a bashing fest from ensuing...

Think that is a good idea. Have more questions than answers at this point. Research can go so far, experience picks up from there. A forum is always bound to go off topic. Hearing the pros and the cons to a subject is why I'm here. Don't need the bashing, but they seem to get the most views.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I think that is a good idea too! Most know me as a Longbow Only hunter. But the Crossbow is about recruitment and retention in the hunting community. It is a Legal wildlife management tool and should be recognized like any other.

Edited by SteveMcD

since it is a bow why not in the umm archery forum there is now

Good point. Since all the crossbow enthusiasts on this forum claim that a x-bow is archery and deserves to be in bow season, why all of a sudden is it necessary to split it out in this forum. Which way is it?

I think having a crossbow section would be cool. There is a lot to learn, like minimun poundage for hunting and the stae regs ect. I would like to see crossbows allowed during the regular archery season as well. I do not think there will be a thousand new hunters invading the woods like people think.

Having a Crossbow section seperate from Archery, is no different than having a Muzzleloader section seperate from Riffle and Gun Discussions. It may, in fact, spur some very good discussions on the issue. Makes a common place to relate back to for past threads.

• Edit

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

as a non crossbow guy I think it would be a great idea. Sure would help a guy like me undestand what are the issues of guys that are using them. My buddy John just got last year the biggest dollar PSE crossbow and it sure seems to shoot well for him, but also lots of work, he has a bad shoulder and to use he has a camera stand (3 legs) TO SET UP AND A CROSS PIECE TO HOLD THE CROSS BOW. now given the weight of the bow also has to turn a wheel to get the string back. Now I can shoot alll the arrows in my quiver (9) prior to him taking 2 shots. His bolts are made by PSE and 100 bucks for a 6 pack. He lost two inserts so he will have to special order from a PSE dealer

. What a pain I sure love walking the woods with either my recurve or compound. I sure do not think that if they change and allow crossbows in the archery season you will have anything to worry about. The cost will stop a lot of potential crossbow hunters from buying and also the weight to carry around.

good luck with crossbow hunting in the state.

Bill

• 1 month later...