Scope mount on REM 1100 20 ??

Weaver made a side mounted base that was held by screws on the curve of the receiver and a ring set up that would attach to that base. It is a very strong setup and it puts the scope right over the top of the receiver.  Best done by a competent gunsmith.

Below is my Winchester super X1 with that mount.

2020-04-03_093802.png

s-l400.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.ccae51f4d86f0d779f9e7faeead1c517.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I have the scope and rings but no mount 

I was going to use the saddle mount but they have been on back order forever ..

So if I go for the drill mount which one is the best ?

And is this something I can do myself??

Google  "Remington 1100 Weaver base".  Lots to choose from.

Can you do this?  No idea what your skill set is.  It requires precisely drilling the holes centered and in a straight line.  The screws themselves are a fine pitch (48?) which is not a common tap and would be needed.

I will say that in terms of accuracy the saddle mount it the least accurate. A receiver mounted base is the next step up but a cantilever barrel will be your most accurate for the gun. It will be more expensive but since the scope is mounted on the barrel itself it will hold zero and provide your most consistency. 

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I will say that in terms of accuracy the saddle mount it the least accurate. A receiver mounted base is the next step up but a cantilever barrel will be your most accurate for the gun. It will be more expensive but since the scope is mounted on the barrel itself it will hold zero and provide your most consistency. 

Agree, but the most accurate and best set-up is a receiver mounted base with a pinned barrel. The cantilever barrel also has the issue of stock comb usually being too low and the barrel still moves within the receiver.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Agree, but the most accurate and best set-up is a receiver mounted base with a pinned barrel. The cantilever barrel also has the issue of stock comb usually being too low and the barrel still moves within the receiver.

With the pinned and the cantilever you are probably in a situation where a dedicated bolt action shotgun would be just as viable at that point. I opted for the cantilever because I still wanted a double duty from my 1187. Adding a couple hundred dollars I could have gotten a dedicated bolt shotgun. I like seeing different responses, it give the OP a good lay of the land. I remember my Dad's 12 gauge Ithaca deer slayer was accurate as heck. Not sure but I think the barrel was "attached" tot the receiver in some form or fashion. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

With the pinned and the cantilever you are probably in a situation where a dedicated bolt action shotgun would be just as viable at that point. I opted for the cantilever because I still wanted a double duty from my 1187. Adding a couple hundred dollars I could have gotten a dedicated bolt shotgun. I like seeing different responses, it give the OP a good lay of the land. I remember my Dad's 12 gauge Ithaca deer slayer was accurate as heck. Not sure but I think the barrel was "attached" tot the receiver in some form or fashion. 

Yea the DS barrels have a thread type attachment to the receiver 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Weaver made a side mounted base that was held by screws on the curve of the receiver and a ring set up that would attach to that base. It is a very strong setup and it puts the scope right over the top of the receiver.  Best done by a competent gunsmith.

Below is my Winchester super X1 with that mount.

2020-04-03_093802.png

s-l400.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.ccae51f4d86f0d779f9e7faeead1c517.jpg

I had that mount on a 20 gauge 1100 skeet gun...Worked very well, but if you take the barrel on and off for cleaning, etc, you should check the zero before you take it huntin'

• Like 1

Scopes on a shotgun...a problem I'm glad I don't any more! My father had the side mount on an Ithaca Deerslayer. Worked well. I bought a Deerslayer myself and had a saddle mount. Wouldn't stay tight. I bought an 11-87 and had the top strap drilled and tapped-that wouldn't stay tight-not enough metal there. Replaced that with a cantilevered barrel. That worked well.

I remember seeing a mount for a Remington that had was top based and attached by 3 screws on each side of the receiver, No experience with it but I thought it looked like it would work. I think a gunsmithing in Ilion that was loosely affiliated with Remington had them.

I'm so glad that with rifles being legal since 2005 my slug days are just a memory!

26 minutes ago, Will_C said:

Scopes on a shotgun...a problem I'm glad I don't any more! My father had the side mount on an Ithaca Deerslayer. Worked well. I bought a Deerslayer myself and had a saddle mount. Wouldn't stay tight. I bought an 11-87 and had the top strap drilled and tapped-that wouldn't stay tight-not enough metal there. Replaced that with a cantilevered barrel. That worked well.

I remember seeing a mount for a Remington that had was top based and attached by 3 screws on each side of the receiver, No experience with it but I thought it looked like it would work. I think a gunsmithing in Ilion that was loosely affiliated with Remington had them.

I'm so glad that with rifles being legal since 2005 my slug days are just a memory!

1 minute ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Yea the thing about that one is it’s made fir a 12 gauge and uses shims for the 20

the Sunoptics brand is made for the 20 , no shims ,,, I have one on order but it’s taking a long time

Thx

28 minutes ago, Will_C said:

I think that’s the DaMar mount , gunsmith in Weedsport designed 

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yea the thing about that one is it’s made fir a 12 gauge and uses shims for the 20

the Sunoptics brand is made for the 20 , no shims ,,, I have one on order but it’s taking a long time

Thx

If your shotgun receiver is the full size and not lt , you wont need shims.

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Completely agree.  The Ithaca 37 was/is an accurate (as heck) slug gun (smooth bore / foster slugs) because of the method the barrel is attached.  It was a twist fit locking into the receiver and the magazine cap would get unscrewed and lock into a barrel fitting preventing movement between barrel and receiver.  Ithaca now makes what I believe is the ultimate pump action slug gun, the Ithaca Deerslayer III.  It uses a fully rifled heavy walled and fluted barrel screwed into the receiver like a rifle.  Super accurate with sabot slugs. The down size is it is heavy for carrying but soaks up recoil.

Edited by DoubleDose
  • Like 1