H&R 22-250 not impressed

ants

Finally sighted in my new H&R 22-250. I cant get better than about 3" at 50 yards. What the @#$$#@#! I was shooting Federal 55gr. ammo. I'm going back to the range this week with a different brand of ammo, but Im not feeling too confident. This is getting to be a pattern with me.

Anyone else have a problem with these?

there are a few tweaks that really help the H&R to shot better. Is the forend touching the barrel at all? If it is you can place an oring on the stud for the forend screw which pretty much floats it. When you shoot off a bag have the front bag as close to the hinge as possible. In essence keep the pressure off the barrel. These two things should increase accuracy.

Bubba thanks... I'll try both. I shot off a lead sled so the barrel was on the front rest. I had my buddy shoot the thing too and we could not get it dialed in any better. It is close enough to kill a coyote but it shuold shoot way tighter.

So just get a small O-ring and put it over the stud?? How tight??

Edited by ants

I've been thinking of getting the NEF Handi-Rilfe in .223 also. I hear they're not tack drivers but really, how bad/good are they? And this O-ring you talk of...are they those rubberbands they use for plumbing? So you just push this ring down the barrel between the stock to lift it off the stock?

I've been thinking of getting the NEF Handi-Rilfe in .223 also. I hear they're not tack drivers but really, how bad/good are they? And this O-ring you talk of...are they those rubberbands they use for plumbing? So you just push this ring down the barrel between the stock to lift it off the stock?

Elmo ---- the "O" ring goes on the threaded lug on the barrel that the fore-arm screw goes into . It's the same thing that is in plumbing supplies .

Yeah it was on clearance. I guess they're not going to carry them anymore. They only had this one and a 223 that was set up the same way. My buddy already offered me $225 for it LOL. Just did the O-ring thing. Hope that and some new ammo does the trick..

Edited by ants

WNYBuckHunter - yeah, 3" groups at 50 yards results in a ton of frustrations and misses. Reviews I read are that people are getting 2.5" to 3" groups at 100 yards. That...I can live with. I'm following this thread to see how the the O-ring works out for ants.

Yeah..... I'll let you guys know...I'll get out soon. Im gonna try everything u suggested. I hope to get it in alot tighter!! I have an old Winchester slug gun, with iron sights.. (havent used in years) that will put them right on top of each other at 50yrds.. So this wont do.

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ants now that you have the oring in check to see if you can slip a dollar bill between the barrel and forend. If not try a second oring or sand the forend enough to get the clearance. Remember the dollar will only go down far enough to get to the lug. This in essence floats the barrel. It makes a big difference.