New riots in Rochester

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

Not quite that long. 5 years as a High School Ag Teacher before we moved to NY. There were more than a couple of instances where one of my students was sent to me by another teacher rather than to the principal, for a little "shop time". It's amazing how therapeutic 15 minutes of welding was to some of those kids.  

I work with 4-H now. I don't deal with near the behavioral issues that I did as a teacher, and unfortunately, most of my role now is dealing with poorly behaved adults :)

What did you teach? I know it was one of the most difficult, but rewarding jobs I ever had. I really think I have the best of education with 4-H, I get to work with kids who want to be there doing things they want to do :) 

Oh ok , very cool ; Chemistry all the way for me !! Also taught some Bio, Env Science and even  Earth Science . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is one time where I agree with BLM, a social worker was a better choice than police. 

Maybe a social worker on scene with the police but from what i understand she was threatening harm to her parents. What was a social worker going to do about that with a pen and a notepad?

If more uncooperative 9 year olds were handcuffed and pepper sprayed, there would be less uncooperative 9 year olds.

Congratulations!!! You win the most deplorable comment of the day!

Quite the honor as AOC had it before you!

Northcounty gets a runner-up for “liking” it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

I'll say this first off, I do not agree with rioting, but the "idiots" are protesting the police handcuffing and pepper spraying a 9 year old girl. I know the whole video isn't available, and therefore a lot of context is missing, but to say it's hard to watch is an understatement. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-pepper-spray-9-year-old-girl-rochester-n-y-n1256313

Hard to watch ?

Maybe they should've put her in a safe space and given some chamomile tea ?

They were handling her with the amount of force she was resisting with.

That's the mild pepper juice, not the real stuff, otherwise you would've really been upset watching the video of her vomiting.

Officers can't let their guard down when responding to any call these days and that takes a toll on them mentally + physically.

Does anyone question why more than two officers were at the scene for a domestic call dealing with a child ?

And King Cuomo's inflammatory response to the situation didn't help the matter in any way either.

• Like 1

This is a child...they are adults.

How you raise your child within your home is your prerogative (to some extent). How the public helps to raise your child has greater limits - and they should.

If she was restrained (I did not watch the videos) she is no longer a threat and the cop was “teaching her a lesson” ...pure speculation on my part as to his motive.

If an adult “taught my kid a lesson” I would be next to need to be pepper sprayed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Hard to watch ?

Maybe they should've put her in a safe space and given some chamomile tea ?

They were handling her with the amount of force she was resisting with.

That's the mild pepper juice, not the real stuff, otherwise you would've really been upset watching the video of her vomiting.

Officers can't let their guard down when responding to any call these days and that takes a toll on them mentally + physically.

Does anyone question why more than two officers were at the scene for a domestic call dealing with a child ?

And King Cuomo's inflammatory response to the situation didn't help the matter in any way either.

Yes, hard to watch. If your response to this is "they could have done worse to her", then we are not going to find any common ground. I agree that police have a difficult job, but unless there is some extreme circumstance that led to this outcome, then I don't think it was handled correctly. If you disagree, that's your own prerogative. 

Edited by Splitear

First off, that is one really big 9 year old.  Secondly, she was resisting lawful commands for a LONG time.  Third, she was warned she was going to get sprayed.  Seems to me these kids are learning to resist the police at a young age.  Someone is teaching them they do not have to comply.  If she was older, she might have died.  This incident may prove to be the one that saves her life down the road.  I do not fault the police here at all.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

First off, that is one really big 9 year old.  Secondly, she was resisting lawful commands for a LONG time.  Third, she was warned she was going to get sprayed.  Seems to me these kids are learning to resist the police at a young age.  Someone is teaching them they do not have to comply.  If she was older, she might have died.  This incident may prove to be the one that saves her life down the road.  I do not fault the police here at all.

So your response to seeing a distressed 9 year old child (I don't care how big she is) be pepper sprayed while handcuffed in the back of a squad car is essentially "I hope she learned her lesson"? There is just some reasoning that I'll never understand....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he was making a joke ; try not to take all of this —or yourself — so seriously :rolleyes:

Hahha...I teach MS kids. When they get caught saying something they shouldn’t they have your exact same reaction....
JK! I was just kidding!

They however are in Middle School.

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

This is a child...they are adults.

How you raise your child within your home is your prerogative (to some extent). How the public helps to raise your child has greater limits - and they should.

If she was restrained (I did not watch the videos) she is no longer a threat and the cop was “teaching her a lesson” ...pure speculation on my part as to his motive.

If an adult “taught my kid a lesson” I would be next to need to be pepper sprayed.

As you said , you did not watch the videos ; seems to be you’re doing ALOT of speculating here . The cops were “ teaching her a lesson”? Maybe , but I doubt it and , You don’t know that . Once the parents called the cops for help , they are inviting the public’s assistance into their domestic situation. That DOES NOT MEAN That I’m suggesting that anything goes in terms of the polices handling of the situation , but you can’t expect the cops to show up and treat her like her parents would . If you did , the. I would say your expectations are unrealistic and impractical. 

8 minutes ago, Splitear said:

So your response to seeing a distressed 9 year old child (I don't care how big she is) be pepper sprayed while handcuffed in the back of a squad car is essentially "I hope she learned her lesson"? There is just some reasoning that I'll never understand....

Don't put words in my mouth.  That kid was not distressed.  She was combative, resisting and creating an unsafe condition for both her and the police.  That cannot be tolerated.  The police used the least amount of force to subdue her.  She should be sent to juvenile prison.  Now the city is suffering from more rioting because the kid was a brat.  If you think that is acceptable, you need to get your priorities straight.

As you said , you did not watch the videos ; seems to be you’re doing ALOT of speculating here . The cops were “ teaching her a lesson”? Maybe , but I doubt it and , You don’t know that . Once the parents called the cops for help , they are inviting the public’s assistance into their domestic situation. That DOES NOT MEAN That I’m suggesting that anything goes in terms of the polices handling of the situation , but you can’t expect the cops to show up and treat her like her parents would . If you did , the. I would say your expectations are unrealistic and impractical. 

I watched it...they put her in restraints, she wouldn’t get in their car without seeing her dad, they called a female officer over after she asked for one (I found that odd that a 9 year old would ask to talk to a female cop), the female cop lost all her trust by threatening to spray her with pepper spray(clearly I think that was a mistake by understandably aggravated cops), they dragged her in the car because she wasn’t listening and a cop sprayed her with pepper spray.
Where was the danger to herself or others?

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Don't put words in my mouth.  That kid was not distressed.  She was combative, resisting and creating an unsafe condition for both her and the police.  That cannot be tolerated.  The police used the least amount of force to subdue her.  She should be sent to juvenile prison.  Now the city is suffering from more rioting because the kid was a brat.  If you think that is acceptable, you need to get your priorities straight.

Combative, resisting, crying, screaming for her dad. I'd say that is distressed. I've said my piece, and you've said yours. I'm pretty comfortable with where my priorities sit. 

Edited by Splitear

Anytime  anyone doesn't comply with lawful commands from police, it is a dangerous situation.  It could go bad very quickly and the police know it.  It's easy to sit back and judge what happened after the fact.  But when you are in it and don't know what's going to happen, you should not be judged by armchair lawyers.

1 minute ago, Splitear said:

Combative, resisting, crying, screaming for her dad. I'd say that is distressed. I've said my piece, and you've said yours. I'm pretty comfortable with where my priorities sit. 

The Dad called the police on her.  Calling for him is a ploy she has learned to gain sympathy, just like her telling the cops, "I'm a child".  This girl has learned how to play the system.  She's going to be trouble for society in the future.

• Like 1